Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Intro and questions  (Read 6234 times)

Merkoth

Intro and questions
« on: August 25, 2007, 05:40:32 am »
First of all, Hi, my name is Iván and I'm from Argentina. I discovered SFML just by chance reading a spanish dev blog and got interested, mostly because it's been a _long_ time since I discovered such a polished and well documented media library. Kudos to you guys, this looks so pretty that makes me start coding right away. I haven't written a single line of code yet, though.

Now with the questions (probably more suited for "Feature request" subforum, but I'm not actually "requesting" anything, just asking so.. :P

1) Reading through the sfSprite class doc (btw, any ETA on namespaces addition?) I found that they mostly behave like a standard image, without any trace of multi image animation. Is there any possibility of having an Update() method and probably an animStep var so we can have our animations updated easily? I know this isn't really hard to implement by ourselves, just asking if you guys have this feature planned or something. What about loading some kind of .sprite file which defines stuff like source images, scale, rotation and so on?

2) Any plans of implementing a particle engine (even if it's simple)?

3) Maybe scripting?

4) Primitive drawing was already requested, but sign me up on that one too :D

And that's all, I should probably start writing code and sending patches rather than asking :P

But don't get me wrong, SFML looks great, I'm just asking, not demanding. Great work and many thanks! :D

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Intro and questions
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 09:51:56 am »
Hi Iván

1) Namespaces addition is done, I'm waiting for the MacOS port and the Ruby binding to be finished to make a new release. That should be in a few days.
If you look at the sources on SVN, you'll find an AdvancedGraphics package which contains an AnimatedSprite class. Advanced packages contain a few random classes that need to be reorganized before being released.
About files for describing sprite properties, it's up to you ;)

2) Sure, that's a good idea. But I have a lot of things to do before that.

3) SFML bindings for Ruby and other script languages will be released soon.

4) Same as #2 ;)

But don't get me wrong, SFML looks great, I'm just asking, not demanding

No problem, dude.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Merkoth

Intro and questions
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 05:28:58 pm »
Great news, I'll be doing a check out just to toy around.

Thanks for your answers Laurent :)

anything