Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: ParabolaEngine - 2D Game Framework  (Read 15448 times)

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
ParabolaEngine - 2D Game Framework
« on: January 31, 2011, 11:39:24 pm »
So, i am working in a 2D Game Framework to support my game development. I really think my work means more if i share it with everyone. So i do!

Forums: http://parabolaengine.comlu.com/forum/

Overview:

Language: C++
Platform: Windows, Linux and Mac planned in the long run
Release: 0.2
Description: Allows you to build games easily, under a controlled environment, that supports multiple games, such as a Android OS. Allows physics simulations(Box2D), HTML/CSS alike GUI(libRocket), Scripting(AngelScript and the intern script tools) and a lot more. Stay tuned!

Samples:
Kinesis sample 1 - http://www.mediafire.com/?p9ct4sa8ycpqp39

The important part:

The engine isn't ready at all, but it should be usable already to make a few things! I am trying to do things the right way. There is a downloadable package with the framework, a website, a forum, a wiki and a api reference. Even though this is all in baby steps, this should be the starting point into turning this into something specially good.

So, i invite everyone and anyone that would gladly pick the engine and try do something with it! If you take a look at it, you don't like anything, but still make a constructive comment on it, it helps. If you can take it and try to make something with it, like a little testbed,
and help me make it grow with the help of your experience, even better!

I will be actively developing it, taking suggestions and implementing new stuff. There isn't a lot of documentation yet, but I am working on it, specially on the WiKi. I am available to support each one of you always i can, so you won't feel abandoned with this! Counting on you guys :)

Any help is appreciated, even discussing the piece of software in the forum!

Thanks everyone!

ideal phi

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 07:50:30 am »
This is intense. I'd be glad to use this. Once you start having the major releases, I can host you at my site.

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 11:15:02 pm »
Thanks man, i will haste in having something to show : )

Last night i finished the first usable version of the localization system, to give an idea of how it works:

You can simply open notepad, and make one or more files with your languages. Just note you should save as a UTF-8 file, for the unicode support.

You write languages like this example:

Code: [Select]

# test.lang
# This is comment
[Language="English"]
TOKEN="Token Sentence"
MENU_OPTIONS="Options"

[Language="Portuguese"]
MENU_OPTIONS="Opções"

Then it is really use these in the application:

Code: [Select]
LocalizationSystem::LoadLanguageFile("test.lang"); //read all files you want with this, the engine will even allow you to iterate a directory and load automaticly the found languages files.

LocalizationSystem::SetLanguage("English"); //Can be any language defined in the files

cout<<LocalizationSystem::ToString("MENU_OPTIONS")<<endl; //This outputs Options because the language is English, if i change the language and re-run the function, the output is different.

ToString function will be a normal std::string representation, not unicode, even tough there is a way to do that.

This is an alpha version of the localization system only. More to come later.

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 03:27:25 am »
Update: Today i opened a small website for the project, and its not done yet at all, but the forum is already usable!

Things will start appearing in the website, and it will evolve gradually, but you can just begin following me :)

Forums: http://parabolaengine.comlu.com/forum/

At least you get a URL you can folow and check for updates :)

I do recommend to begin using the forums, any help forming a community would be great! And i need all the support i can find!

Really hope this project catches your attention and makes you want to use it and follow its progress :D

Alejandro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 06:30:10 am »
The feature list seems very promising to me and I would gladly use your library once you release it. I have been using the Andorra 2D library for delphi for the sole reason that it has everything in one place since I am not keen on making everything from scratch (so since this will be the first descent engine for C++ I will make a quick transfer). I do have some questions though:

1) Can you give an approximate date on which the first release of the engine will be released ?

2) Will there be an object-oriented sprite engine - say that I want to make 100 sprites, will I be able to make them with one easy "create sprite" call, defining the image, animation pattern, etc. or will I have to make one myself ?

The physics system (which includes collision detection) and language system are a very nice addition to the engine so I hope more people will use it once you release it :)

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 01:31:07 am »
Thanks for the support, it is under constant development, and i can release a really early version in the next days if you want. It is not well documented yet, but i can do it soon enough too.

Since this engine is meant to be developed for everyone's needs, and you NEED that feature, it seems like a good thing to add to the engine.

I would ask you to suggest that in the forums, to see if it starts being a little more active and a community can start :)

Im thinking of implementing that sprite engine as a scene graph node, which you can plug in and out realtime, if that suits your needs!

The main architecture has improved in the last days, considering a few new things :)

Last addition was a new State managing class, which allows you to create your own game screens in the objects to help keep it organized.
Also included a built in state for that classic effect fade in->image->fade out, such as game initial screens for publishers and stuff. It works pretty smooth already. Tested it by loading a directory, and doing a slideshow with all images within it, and it takes few lines of code only :)

Again, thanks for the support :)

heishe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 11:11:58 pm »
I have been waiting for a framework like this literally FOREVER.

If you want to make all my dreams come true, please consider adding game-networking support (making it easy to set up servers and clients and synchronize data between them).

So pumped for this.

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 02:03:53 am »
Thats one of the main goals of the engine, to have networked physics working as smooth as possible : )

I will be happy to develop those stuff with your support. Harder to work on something when i won't need it right away, neither will anyone, that is why some support is apreciated :)

Anyway, about networking, there is already a small system for easy communication, on REALLY baby steps yet  :)

heishe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 02:45:07 am »
That's even better! I'm looking forward to this.

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 11:09:23 pm »
New website ! The first release is approaching :)

Oneiros

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 11:53:44 pm »
Nice website  :D

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 12:15:19 am »

Working on documentation and improving the API.

SPARK2 seems to be usable, beggining implementation of Particle Systems as part of the engine.

heishe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 12:37:59 am »
Very nice!

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 03:36:19 am »
Website & Forum & Documentation improved.

A Pre-Pre-Release was added to downloads page. You can now mess with the engine a bit.

It is not stable yet or anything, but should be working. There isnt a lot of documentation to guide you yet, but I can help if something is needed.
use the forums if you can or want ;)

There are a few systems working that you can start playing with.

Thanks everyone and more news soon!

heishe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 03:06:00 pm »
How's the next version coming up? :P