Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: New to SFML  (Read 2105 times)

Snovind

• View Profile
    • Email
New to SFML
« on: March 06, 2011, 01:09:50 pm »
Hi!
I just stumbeled across SFML and it seemed like it is an nice litte C++ API. However I am also pretty new to the C++ language, and I am getting some problems with the tutorials that I have been watching. I think it is because I do not really understand the linking stuff. First I watched , and I managed to get that one working. However I can't get this one working , because I'm not really sure what I need to add in the linkers and maybe more important why I need to add the additional stuff.

I'am also wondering what are the main differences between the SFML2 and SFML-1.6?

nevets_19

• View Profile
New to SFML
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 11:43:33 pm »
Hello, i am basically the exact same as u, new to SFMl and new to C++, but with your linker problems are you linking sfml-graphics.lib, sfml-system.lib. etc?

make sure you go into your project properties and go to linker then input, then additional dependencies and link the appropriate files, watch the tutorials on this website to find out which files you need to link

and the difference between SFML 1.6 and SFML 2 is SFMl 2 has a few more features and less bugs

P.S that youtube video does work fine if you have it set up properly i used that one =D.

also i had alot of trouble setting it up but now i know how

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
New to SFML
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 11:50:39 pm »
If you are completely new to C++, you should probably spend some time learning the language first. Even though SFML is very beginner-friendly, it requires at least basic knowledge of many C++ features. Also in other parts of game programming, it is only of advantage if you are used to the language you are working with. Like this, you don't have to lookup language features all the time, and you also also program more efficiently with less bugs.

Concerning the differences between the versions 1 and 2, see this thread.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Groogy

• MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
New to SFML
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 12:24:59 am »
Like Nexus said, getting to know the how C++ works first would be a recommendation. I wouldn't say it is impossible to jump right into SFML but you will be visiting this forum A LOT to get help. Something fun to begin with if you want to make games is to create a text based game. Adventure, RPG whatever, if you got imagination you can do pretty cool stuff there too.

I know some of my proudest moment has been in the console where the only output was some weird data for an outsider but for me it was something PURE awesome behind it all that got it to work.

Just because it isn't flashy, doesn't mean it isn't cool or fun ;)
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio

anything