Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [Mac OS X] PowerPC Arch  (Read 3981 times)

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
[Mac OS X] PowerPC Arch
« on: March 30, 2011, 07:33:44 pm »
Hi,

I was wondering how many of you are currently using PPC and how many of you are planing to deploy on PPC architecture.

I'm asking his because I'm currently working to make SFML work with ppc/ppc64 archs and I'm facing some difficulties : it's not about SFML compilation itself nor CMake configuration but rather the external libraries like libsndfile/libGLEW and libjpeg which currently are not compiled for these architectures. So I'd like to know if I can spare some time by not going into this process.

Moreover, as you know, Apple doesn't like to support during a very long time old stuff and want to get rid of it; you have to go through so many tricks to be able to compile ppc with Xcode 4 for example. So compiling ppc can be a real pain in the neck (for me, but also for some of you).

So let me know what you want!  :wink:
SFML / OS X developer

JAssange

• View Profile
[Mac OS X] PowerPC Arch
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 08:55:39 pm »
I think you should focus on Intel Macs.

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • http://sfemovie.yalir.org/
    • Email
[Mac OS X] PowerPC Arch
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 12:15:38 am »
I'm no more using a ppc Mac and i would personally not care about these if it was up to me.

My mother is still using a ppc mac but well… that's kinda old nowadays.
Want to play movies in your SFML application? Check out sfeMovie!

mercurio7891

• View Profile
[Mac OS X] PowerPC Arch
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 02:29:56 pm »
I think it is best to just focus on the Intel Mac. Since even Apple is not really keen to support for it.

And as a side note, I feel that Apple is neglecting the C++ community. The gcc compiler that came with xcode 4 is stuck at 4.2 due to license issue, and the Clang compiler isn't really ready with the new C++0x standard yet. :( I had to manually install gcc4.6 and all those utilities just so I could compile my code from my MSVC2010 projects.

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
[Mac OS X] PowerPC Arch
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 07:29:07 pm »
Fine.  :)

For those of you who will download the last (git) snapshot, you might need to clear your CMake cache to compile SFML with 10.5 SDK (see the new BUILD option).

If you have only Xcode 4 installed you have to go through http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5333490/ (a bit heavy, isn't it?) to make it work.
SFML / OS X developer