Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Poll

Should Laurent make this happen?

Yes, with a subdomain like "uploads.sfml-dev.org"
9 (75%)
Yes, but go get your own domain > : (
2 (16.7%)
No
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: April 24, 2011, 08:02:17 pm

Author Topic: Hey Laurent! SFML Uploads? ;)  (Read 4874 times)

Haikarainen

Hey Laurent! SFML Uploads? ;)
« on: April 24, 2011, 08:02:17 pm »
Hey, this message goes out to Laurent mainly;

I'm working on a site called "SFML Uploads", dedicated to people using this forums/sfml to upload their projects(rar,zip,gz) and also codesnippets with syntax highlightning(with support for anyone to alter them into a new version of it).

Currently you can just login and logout, but in a day or two the site will be finished, so heres my question: What do you think of this idea in general? I started it because all the megaupload links here make me sad.

I will run it on my private server, unless anyone else with better serverspecs/dedication feel like running it. Notice for that guy: It runs PHP and MySQL, filecache in a directory with full permissions will be needed.

It would be awesome if you could also create a subdomain like "uploads.sfml-dev.org" and just redirect it to my IP (wich i will give you in mail). :)
If you like this idea, send me an email : fredrik@haikarainen.se , if not: please reply this thread so i can just change the name of the site or something !

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 08:27:18 pm »
That's a good idea but I can't put it on the official domain, since it's not official ;)
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Haikarainen

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 08:32:41 pm »
Quote from: "Laurent"
That's a good idea but I can't put it on the official domain, since it's not official ;)

Hehe, ok, understandable. I do have a notice-text on the mainpage that explains that it's not related to the official sfml project, if that changes things?

Cant afford anohter bought domainname, so i have the options of either make a subdomain to haikarainen.se (wich is using a swedish .se domain, and also the domainname is a hardpronounced/rememberable finish name ^^) or to make a free .no-ip.com or something..

Groogy

• MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 11:33:00 pm »
I own groogy.se and I can redirect a sub domain but it got the same problems, Swedish domain and a weird name.
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio

Fred_FS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 01:07:30 am »
If it is just about uploading, I recommend Dropbox. Very easy to use for both uploaders(just put your files into a special (windows)-folder and it will be uploaded) and downloaders. So if someone needs free space(I use it also to sync my documents from different computers), he should have a look at it ;)

But of course a website which contains sfml-projects, snippets etc. would also be very cool.

Haikarainen

There is now an official thread about this project!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 10:18:42 pm »
There is now an official thread about this project!

http://www.sfml-dev.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=32152

Haikarainen

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 10:28:32 pm »
The site is released! http://www.sfmluploads.org.

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 04:28:54 pm »
What about GIFs and other graphics? Are you sure you need to restrict files by extensions? I mean, one could still upload "virus.exe" as "virus.png" without a problem, so such a restriction isn't helpful IMHO.

Haikarainen

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 12:19:30 am »
Quote from: "Tank"
What about GIFs and other graphics? Are you sure you need to restrict files by extensions? I mean, one could still upload "virus.exe" as "virus.png" without a problem, so such a restriction isn't helpful IMHO.

It has to do with codes regarding thumbnails to do also. Not only security.
And it really helps to restrict them to extensions, imagine if someone uploaded a php-file. You would still need a rootshell to execute virus.png .

Please use the official thread in the future tho http://www.sfml-dev.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4930

David

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 12:39:14 am »
Quote from: "Tank"

Besides, you can always put the GIFs and other graphics in a .zip. Doesn't require much to do

anything