Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Looking For Resources  (Read 2481 times)

Koosmono

• View Profile
Looking For Resources
« on: April 26, 2011, 11:52:33 pm »
First off, I really hope this question hasn't been beaten to death for you guys.

I've been programming for about 2 years and am sure of my abilities with C++. Now I am looking to start game programming and My research on APIs has led me here. I really like the sound of SFML and am eager to start.
However, My question is whether there are any resources for learning early practices and lessons in game programming through SFML. There are tons of books and online tutorials for game programming using APIs like DirectX, but I was hoping to learn these earlier practices through the API I hope to use.
Now maybe I'm jumping the gun. The tutorials here look great for the features and maybe once I finish them I will feel confident that I can start developing. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything out there (Yet to find much on google).

Lastly and probably most importantly. If any of you started your game programming adventure with SFML I would love to know how you went about it. Were these tutorials enough or did you accompany them with other resources?

I thank any and all help greatly!

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Looking For Resources
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 12:21:17 am »
I have learned SFML only by the online tutorials (and maybe some specific posts on the forum). Concerning general game programming before SFML, I had few experience with SDL, but not really more than the most basic things: How to write the main loop, how to draw things etc. I have never read a book about game programming, only some C++ books. Some principles like the separation of logics and graphics or variable frame rates were told me in forums.

Up to now, I haven't touched all areas of game programming yet, I plan to take a in-depth look at 3D programming, multithreading and maybe AI in the future. But my knowledge seemed to suffice for a 2D jump'n'run, a 2D space shooter and few other games with SFML, so I think the basic stuff can be learned fast enough by doing. As far as I remember, I didn't lookup much more than C++ specific stuff and a collision detection tutorial for the jump'n'run.

What is very important in my opinion, is a solid fundament of C++ knowledge. It is possible to program good games without it, but the code tends to be inefficient, error-prone and unmaintainable. In fact, this is a mistake many people do, including me some years ago. And even if you have good C++ knowledge, there are a lot of design hints and pitfalls that aren't covered in beginner books. You could take a look at "Effective C++" or "Exceptional C++", this will certainly improve the way you write code, also for game programming.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Mjonir

• View Profile
Looking For Resources
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 12:38:21 am »
I started game programming with SFML. My previous programming experience was mainly in web programming so game programming was really new for me, as well as C++.

I wanted to develop a shmup (although I ended up making a general shmup engine, more about in my signature if you're interested to see how it went, sources included), and asked on a few forums what libraries I should use. Someone provided me a link to SFML and I decided to give it a try.

My experience with SFML was really great. I read through the tutorials and was quickly able to create a simple graphical application. The tutorials are short and simple, but it's really due to the fact that SFML is really that simple :)

I had a few problems compiling SFML2 from the svn repository, but it was probably my own fault. If you decide to try it, you shouldn't have any problems since now it's done with CMake :)

The only other resources I used were about collision detection and time management. I'm very far from using all the possibilities of SFML, but it never failed to provide the tools I needed, which were always easy to use.

Apart from that, the community is also active and very helpful. People will help you if you ask a question on the forums and Laurent (SFML developer) is always around. The last time I had a question about a SFML feature, he solved my problem in less than 3 minutes :P

The wiki also contains some very nice snippets for a few common things, you might also want to check it to get started.

I would definitely recommend SFML ;)

Fred_FS

• View Profile
Looking For Resources
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 06:09:58 pm »
I have learned SFML by reading the tutorials and mainly by reading the documentation. The documentation of the sfml is one of the best I have ever read. You will find many helpful examples, if you read it. Of course I am not using it as a bedtime reading, but if I need a function, I will have a look at the documentation first and will mostly find something that meets my requirements ;).
However my way to the sfml was not a common way. I came from 3D programming with Ogre3D, because of an 2D game idea and because I am not the best 3D modeller, so that my 3D games would not look better than my 2D games(though I am a bad drawer, too) ;).

But I also think there aren't many alternatives to the sfml. SDL and Allegro for example. And in comparision the SFML is in my opinion the most beginner friendly framwork.

Koosmono

• View Profile
Looking For Resources
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 08:44:58 pm »
Thanks so much everyone!

All your posts were very helpful. It's too bad, but I kind of figured I would have to look elsewhere for the basics of collision, etc. But still I am more confident now in getting started just from hearing these stories. It really sounds like I'll have enough to start working with on something like a simple side scroller which is what I plan to start with.

Mjonir, I'm glad to hear about someone who was able to pick this up as their first API for game programming. I'll definitely check out that engine!

I've been so busy with class and the programs I'm writing for those that I haven't had time to start these tutorials. I am so anxious it hurts, but I'll definitely be working with SFML very soon here (class is out in a week) and I don't doubt you'll see me back posting on these forums.

Thanks again!

Groogy

• MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
Looking For Resources
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 10:26:29 pm »
Quote from: "Koosmono"
All your posts were very helpful. It's too bad, but I kind of figured I would have to look elsewhere for the basics of collision, etc. But still I am more confident now in getting started just from hearing these stories. It really sounds like I'll have enough to start working with on something like a simple side scroller which is what I plan to start with.

Well all algorithms you'll find like collision of swept-sphere or OBB/AABB are pretty general and you'll be able to implement them with SFML too. Shouldn't be much of a problem looking at some tutorial found with Google and apply it to your application instead.

People have to remember, SFML is a multimedia library that can be used to create games, it's not a game engine itself.

When it don't work, apply violence. Still doesn't work? Apply more. In case this fails, google. Does google fail? Damn then you'll just have to ask us instead at the forum. Darn it!  :wink:
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio

anything