Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: German wiki?  (Read 19749 times)

Xylankant

• View Profile
    • http://xylankant.xy.funpic.de
German wiki?
« on: July 03, 2008, 05:23:12 pm »
Hi folks (and namely Laurent ;) )

I was just wondering, how about a german wiki?

I noticed french (obviously ^^) and english wiki/homepage, however, I'm sure there are some german users of SFML, or even some who don't use SFML (what a shame) because they aren't that good, neither in english nor in french.

I'd even aggree to providing translations, as I speak both, english and french.

T.T.H.

• View Profile
German wiki?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 06:29:04 pm »
Personally I'd suggest not to "split" the community by introducing several languages. My 2 cents.

P.S.: I have the impression that the French forum is even a bit more active than the English one - and I am envious on that :P But, hey, automatic translations by Google for the win...

Xylankant

• View Profile
    • http://xylankant.xy.funpic.de
German wiki?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 06:47:09 pm »
Well, there's no mean to "split" community, however, there definitely *are* people who don't speak french or english.

And it's no problem to switch between french/english(/german) wiki and forum if one wishes ;)

Sometimes, it's just easier to use one's mother tongue.

dabo

• View Profile
    • http://www.dabostudios.net
German wiki?
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 07:54:15 pm »
I would prefer to only have an english website, I get the feeling I miss a lot of interesting stuff because I don't understand french for example. The web translation tools are not that great either. But I guess if you don't understand english you will miss even more... :P

SirJulio

• View Profile
German wiki?
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 08:43:57 pm »
Quote from: "Xylankant"
Well, there's no mean to "split" community, however, there definitely *are* people who don't speak french or english.

And it's no problem to switch between french/english(/german) wiki and forum if one wishes ;)

Sometimes, it's just easier to use one's mother tongue.

Easier, yeah for sure, but interresting contributions (forum and wiki) will be split over X languages. ATM, we have two forums and two wikis and  keeping those "synchronized" is already difficult (translation of the french wiki FAQ and other cool stuffs is planned), just imagine with X forums and wikis, it will be a nightmare. =p

But, translation of the official tutorials in others languages could be a good idea, for people who want to learn SFML but doesn't speak (actually read) neither English or French.

So good idea, but i think that splits the community over several different forum and wikis isn't really efficient. =)

Mindiell

• ICQ Messenger - 41484135
    • View Profile
German wiki?
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 09:59:06 pm »
Well, I'm french, and i qould have prefered a single forum/wiki in English. Simply because it's THE language used on the Net.

I try to translate all my tutos in English, and to read your questions here in the English forum in order to be able to share the "french knowledge" with you :)

If you don't understand something found in the french forum, don't hesitate and ask !
Mindiell
----

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
German wiki?
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 11:59:05 am »
I also have the feeling to miss a lot of stuff happening on the French side of life ;), since I can't speak French. I would therefore prefer to join both communities to a big English one, because I think it's the language most people are at least able to read.
What do the French people think about this? Would someone mind to post a thread at the French forums?

Mindiell

• View Profile
German wiki?
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 12:12:54 pm »
I'll do it again, but frenchies are... well, they are frenchies :)
Mindiell
----

Mindiell

• View Profile
German wiki?
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 12:22:05 pm »
Done,

Even if you don't understand the answers, you can see the result of the poll :)

There : http://www.sfml-dev.org/forum-fr/viewtopic.php?t=1008
Mindiell
----

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
German wiki?
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 01:01:00 pm »
Thank you for your posting, Mindiell. :) Seems like forums won't join. In fact, I can really understand that. Having a board in the native language is often better because of people better understanding problems, questions and help. That's why I'd either join both ("same for everybody") or create an inofficial help board.

Personally I'm interested how many German guys are using SFML and if it would pay off to create a small help board(!) for these people. Of course this would result in another "split" of the community, but like the French people argue, it's the same for other languages: when there's a native speaking board, native speakers would always prefer it instead of an English one.

dabo

• View Profile
    • http://www.dabostudios.net
German wiki?
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 03:40:03 pm »
If SFML would have had a swedish and an english website/forum I would be just fine with only an english version. Even though there are two forums you don't have to wait long to get your questions answered that's not the problem, but as I'm still quite new to both SFML and game programming I don't like the idea of what I might miss on the french side. But I can always use google translate, it's decent enough.

eleinvisible

• View Profile
German wiki?
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 03:18:05 am »
A single English site may actually cut down on a number of French visitors and feedback, and seeing as Laurent is fluent in English and French I can see why he made only English/French forums and wikis. I'm an American, and can read French  (to an extent, as I have never taken a class).