Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Programs used to make 2d Game images? Using gimp...  (Read 2652 times)

KasHKoW

• View Profile
Programs used to make 2d Game images? Using gimp...
« on: June 25, 2011, 08:36:50 am »
Hey, I haven't gotten to this step in my game yet, but I plan to make all original graphics + sounds.

I've been using gimp and I've noticed that every time I try to make a sprite, It has the white background that I used to make it. I want the image just to be the object that I made not include the background around it. I've tried drawing on transparent layers and erasing this... but it doesn't work.

Anyone know the fix... What's going on?

Also, While I'm on this subject, what's some good programs that people use for 2d games to make the graphics.

And possibly tutorials, bits of useful information or other things relevant to the topic available over the web?

Cuban-Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 10:19:55 am »
right click on your layer > add alpha layer > make selection > delete it. you will see checkerboard background -> that is transparent

also, you need to save the image as a png -> jpg or bmp does not have transparent background

KasHKoW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 02:34:54 am »
Thanks for the response. I tried a couple days ago on irc, but i usually code late at night so no one was in. I tried yesterday and got that exact same answer.
Yours being a little more comprehensive!

aquaglow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 10:32:48 pm »
I'd personally suggest using Inkscape to make svg files, and then exporting to a .png file. Inkscape is much more suited to drawing and editing sprites in my opinion.

anything