Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: OpenGL  (Read 3070 times)

Jalfor

• View Profile
OpenGL
« on: June 25, 2011, 11:32:53 am »
Could someone please tell me what version of OpenGL SFML uses? I have had a look around though can't find it anywhere.

While I'm here, could someone recommend a book/tutorial for OpenGL. I have had a look at the tutorials though they seem a bit hard to manage as they skip over some bits of code which leave me stumped.

Thanks in advance.
If a picture tells 1000 words, then a YouTube video clearly tells 1000000 making a YouTube video obviously a larger work than the Lord Of The Rings, or some other massive novel. Thus are the laws of YouTube videos.

OniLinkPlus

• View Profile
OpenGL
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 02:53:07 pm »
SFML doesn't use any specific version. You tell it what version to use when you create a window (it defaults to 2.0 though)
I use the latest build of SFML2

Canadadry

• View Profile
OpenGL
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 08:15:45 pm »
With SFML2 you can choose which version you want as OniLink10 said. But for sfml1.6 I think you don't have the choice.....

Jalfor

• View Profile
OpenGL
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 03:26:56 am »
Okay, another two things.

1. Is there any/much difference in the syntax between different OpenGL versions.

2. Back to my original question, does anyone have any suggestion for a book.

PS: I'm using SFML 1.6 as there are no tutorials for 2.0 yet and I am still really a beginner with SFML.
If a picture tells 1000 words, then a YouTube video clearly tells 1000000 making a YouTube video obviously a larger work than the Lord Of The Rings, or some other massive novel. Thus are the laws of YouTube videos.

Tronic

• View Profile
    • http://performous.org/
OpenGL
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 11:13:33 pm »
OpenGL SuperBible 5th Edition appears to be the only book even somewhat up to date (OpenGL 3.2/3.3 while the latest standard is 4.1). It is fairly good but you'll want to improvise a bit as they still use GLUT in their examples (and I suppose you would prefer SFML).

przemo_li

• View Profile
OpenGL
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 04:50:39 pm »
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3439229/opengl-4-x-learning-resources/

Here are posted resources for learning "modern" OpenGL.

Usually, next OpenGL bring just new stuff, but since OpenGL 3.2 there is "core" profile that removes much old stuff.

SuperBible is best source. (however i do not like it) and
openglbook.com is also good!