Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Cardepia, a Tower Defense game to bring some flavour  (Read 6420 times)

Alejandro

• View Profile
Cardepia, a Tower Defense game to bring some flavour
« on: August 26, 2011, 02:14:11 pm »
Hello to everybody!

Over the past few months/years I've started quite a few different projects, all of which abandoned mostly due to lack of motivation/interest in them or having to use many bits from libraries here and there to accomplish what I was aiming for.

Recently I started working on small scale projects which would actually get finished and one of them is a tower defense type game. For now I haven't implemented everything I would like to in it (actually it is far from completed code-wise) but I would like to share it to see what you think about it (critics, ideas, anything that could help me make it better) :)

https://legacy.sfmluploads.org/file/53 <- Link to zip containing the game.

Edit1: Forgot to write down some info you could use:

Hovering the start wave button will show information about current/next creep wave.
Hovering any of the other buttons will tell you what they do.

Information not included in descriptions:

Fire tower creates a fire explotion which deals 1/2 damage every 1 second.
Air tower renders creeps more vulnerable (noted by a yellow health bar) thus taking 2x the normal damage they would take from attacks.
Earth tower stuns the creep for 3 seconds.

Passive tower mechanism:

Passive towers have the exact same effect as their elemental equivalent, with the exception that they don't attack, you have to activate them. When activated the tower sends missiles to all creeps visible on the map (unlimited range). Due to balance reasons, you can use each of the passive towers only once per wave and even if you build more of one kind, only the 1st of them will shoot.

Special towers:

Lethal tower has a 15% chance to kill the creep immediatelly.
Bounce tower releases a missile which bounces between creeps 3 times, dealing 1/2 of the previous damage each time.
Implosion tower gathers the creeps within the splash range around the hit creep and "teleports" them on it's position.
Greed tower's maximum damage increases by 20% of the current gold you have.
Backtrack tower returns the creep 300 steps along the path (if possible).

Bonuses:

Periodically creeps will drop bonuses, which you have to click on in order to activate them. Some of them are immediate, others provide an enhancement to your towers over a period of time. You cannot have 2 bonuses activated at the same time, if you try to, the previous bonus will get disabled and the current one will be active. For now there aren't negative bonuses, so don't hesitate to click on a bonus when you see one.

Creeps with lights:

Special creeps are marked with lights so that you know that they offer something extra. Such creeps will be available after the fifth wave. Here is some info about the current enhancements:
Yellow light - +50 gold after creep death
Purple light - creep is extra strong, thus having 10x more health (watch out for a boss creep carrying this bonus :D)
Red light - creep explodes on death, dealing aoe damage to nearby creeps based on their max health

Haikarainen

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 03:20:57 pm »
OOH i love tdgames :D  This was really nice as well, but this isnt made with SFML?

Some critics; You could make the map a lot lighter and still project a sense of night in the game. Now its just irritating since you have to focus your eyes, and it feels like you spoil the gfx by doing so.

Alejandro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 03:27:39 pm »
Actually it is made with SFML, I just use QT for the GUI part as the solutions provided for SFML are quite complex to use.

The light/night is from the light manager on the french forum and sorry if it is too dark, since the story I would use included blotting out the sun I guess I went too hard on the basic night color. Will upload a fixed .exe as I don't want to re-upload the entire archive to eat space if there isn't something new.

Edit1: Added a download link to the fixed .exe in first post.

Haikarainen

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 03:37:06 pm »
Quote from: "Alejandro"
Actually it is made with SFML, I just use QT for the GUI part as the solutions provided for SFML are quite complex to use.

The light/night is from the light manager on the french forum and sorry if it is too dark, since the story I would use included blotting out the sun I guess I went too hard on the basic night color. Will upload a fixed .exe as I don't want to re-upload the entire archive to eat space if there isn't something new.

Edit1: Added a download link to the fixed .exe in first post.

Hm, you link static or forgot to include dll?

EDIT; Oh btw, made it to wave 22, no wave coming up ? :( game just stopped. Also, why is all of the interface a few seconds slow? Using threads?

Alejandro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 03:38:52 pm »
Static link. Do I have to do something if it is linked statically ?

Edit: I have made waves only up to wave 22 (look at the files in Data/CreepWaves (not that you can edit them in a notepad editor)). I have a wave editor which isn't quite finished, but using it to create the current waves. When I come up with a way to fix some of the issues in the wave editor I will present new creep waves and something I wanted to see in a TD game (don't actually know what other games might use it) - waves with different creeps in them.

About the slow GUI response, I am sorry, yes I use threads and am yet to find a way to separate the load so that it can be more responsive (have found a Qt article, but still wondering how to implement it).

Haikarainen

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 03:39:32 pm »
Static link. Do I have to do something if it is linked statically ?

No, no , i guess not.  :)

Alejandro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 08:39:02 pm »
Updated the link with a folder containing info for 39 waves for those of you who didn't have the time to properly test the end-game towers.

Haikarainen

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 09:05:48 pm »
Updated the link with a folder containing info for 39 waves for those of you who didn't have the time to properly test the end-game towers.

Tip from 1337 TD player; Make waves infinite and randomly generated.

Alejandro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 08:51:30 am »
This is what I am going to implement in the zen mode play style. I will try to come up with an algorithm that randomly picks what type of wave is going to come (fast, slow, immune, pack, boss, etc.) and decides how strong it should be, based on the gold/lives/towers you have, but I still haven't thought of what could be different from the arcade mode. I would like the arcade gameplay to resemble something like a campaign mode with storyline, whereas those who just want infinite gameplay could go to zen mode.

anything