Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [code::blocks ?] Distribute my game on linux + windows ?  (Read 3533 times)

urzq

• View Profile
[code::blocks ?] Distribute my game on linux + windows ?
« on: September 15, 2011, 06:54:24 pm »
Hello everyone !

TLDR; -> see below :p

For a quick introduction, because this is my first post here, I'm a french student, and I come from the java's world. I have 2 goals here with SFML.
   > learn "in depth" the C++ language.
   > have fun by creating a simple zelda-like game ;)
Ho, and I fallowed a couple of tutorials, sfml seems to be, as you can except from its name, a really simple library :D

TLDR MARK : So, this is my problem :
I'd like to develop with code::blocks on linux, and distribute my game for linux AND windows. What is the easiest way to do it ?

I would like something like this : On my code::block installed on linux, I export a file system, and then, I would be able to grab this file system on my code::block installed on windows, then, hit my build button, and done (ie: no struggle with makefile)

I hope this is clear ... >_< And thanks in advance ;)

Haikarainen

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 10:37:49 am »
When I'm not having 2 computers laying around to code on, I usually use VirtualBox.

Install it in your linux environment, then install Windows XP ontop of it (works like a charm), then just install codeblocks and your libraries on Windows XP(wich is running on VirtualBox, wich is running in linux) and compile binaries there.

I'm currently doing this the other way around, working in windows xp with linux debian on a virtual box, but it totally works the other way as well..

Good luck!

urzq

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 05:57:20 pm »
Thanks for this reply, indeed it's a god idea ;)
BUT... inside this virtual window xp, will I get an access to my project's files ?
I'll try to take a look at it ;)

azrathud

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 07:21:35 pm »
Quote from: "urzq"
Thanks for this reply, indeed it's a god idea ;)
BUT... inside this virtual window xp, will I get an access to my project's files ?
I'll try to take a look at it ;)

urzq, you will need to install Virtualbox's Guest Additions if you want to access files from your parent operating system.

Haikarainen

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 04:56:03 am »
Quote from: "azrathud"
urzq, you will need to install Virtualbox's Guest Additions if you want to access files from your parent operating system.

What he said. This way you can create network shares from your host os, by basically binding local directories to be available via SMB Shares on the guest os. Just press "machine" -> "Install guest additions" or whatever and it will automatically mount a proper cd for your os.

Svenstaro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 05:18:30 am »
I would suggest you cross-compile. For an example of how to do that, see here: https://github.com/svenstaro/gamejam/tree/master/GGJ2011

I used mingw to cross-compile and cmake as the build system from a Linux based host.

anything