Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: sf::Color, making it union  (Read 10025 times)

Bozemoto

• View Profile
sf::Color, making it union
« on: September 18, 2011, 04:21:18 pm »
Hi, a short while ago I was discussing my own color struct with a friend and my friend is a very meticulus person and thought my four GLUBytes were inefficient. He wanted me to use an int. Instead of doing what he said a did both

union Color{
   struct ByteData{
      GLUByte r, g, b, a;
   }byte_data;
   GLUint int_data;
}

this way when assigning one color to another I simply use
color1.int_data = color2.inte_data;
simple and effiecient.
I even overloaded the operators for it to make it more streamlined.

The reason I'm writing it here is because I'm still very much new to OpenGL and for the AI cource Im currently taking I'm using SFML.
I wanted to create an image with random pixels in it, and instead of calling random once for every byte in every color it would be nice if I could write

color = rand();

instead. I guess I could write

(*reinterpret_cast<int*>(&color)) = rand();

But thats so ugly.

Thoughts are welcome.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 04:36:38 pm »
I think that making such ugly modifications to a class, just to allow a simpler syntax for a very specific task, is... ugly as well ;)

Just write a function that creates a random color and use it instead of std::rand().
Code: [Select]
sf::Color rand_color()
{
    return sf::Color(std::rand() % 255, std::rand() % 255, std::rand() % 255);
}

color = rand_color();

By the way, assigning the result of std::rand() to a color would only fill 2 components ouf of 4, RAND_MAX is 65536 and therefore can only generate values for 16 bits.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Silvah

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 04:47:14 pm »
Quote from: "Laurent"
sf::Color rand_color()
{
    return sf::Color(std::rand() % 255, std::rand() % 255, std::rand() % 255);
}
Did you mean "% 256"?

Quote from: "Laurent"
By the way, assigning the result of std::rand() to a color would only fill 2 components ouf of 4, RAND_MAX is 65536 and therefore can only generate values for 16 bits.
Assuming it actually is 65536. The value of this constant depends on the implementation, it's usually 2^31-1 (2147483647) or 2^15-1 (32767), I haven't yet seen an implementation where the result of rand() is computed modulo 65537, the number is unwieldy and it would destroy distribution.

Bozemoto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 04:50:35 pm »
Well it is faster to.

color1.int_data =color2.int_data;

is faster or atleast as fast as

color1.r = color2.r;
color1.g = color2.g;
color1.b = color2.b;
color1.b = color2.a;

depending if the compiler spots the optimization it can do.
Not a very big optimization, granted, but an optimization non the less.

Or am i mistaken?

Also, the interface for the class would be identical would it not?
Everything is already hidden behind operator overloading and constructors. Only the rare cases when you want to access  the data itself would it be "ugly" to use.

Lastly I would like to ask. Isn't making it a class excessive? I mean wouldn't a POD struct/union be enough. And then maybe use a function to create colors. like

CreateColor(GLUbyte r, GLUbyte r, GLUbyte r, GLUbyte a=255);

Making it a class creates a v_table for it doesn't it? Seems a bit unnecessary for something so simple as a color.

I hope I haven't come across as rude, I realy like your work. Just a few questions for my own personal education.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 06:01:48 pm »
Did you mean "% 256"?

Yes, sorry.

Assuming it actually is 65536. The value of this constant depends on the implementation, it's usually 2^31-1 (2147483647) or 2^15-1 (32767), I haven't yet seen an implementation where the result of rand() is computed modulo 65537, the number is unwieldy and it would destroy distribution.

That was just an example. The point is that there's no guarantee that it can fill a 32-bits integer.

Well it is faster to.

Honestly, who cares?

Lastly I would like to ask. Isn't making it a class excessive?

Excessive in what? There's no extra overhead.

Making it a class creates a v_table for it doesn't it?

Nop, only classes with vritual functions have a v-table.

I hope I haven't come across as rude

Absolutely not ;)

Bozemoto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 07:55:15 pm »
Well it is faster to.

Honestly, who cares?

Well it is fun to optimize. It makes you ask questions and you learn lots by doing it.

Lastly I would like to ask. Isn't making it a class excessive?

Excessive in what? There's no extra overhead.

Making it a class creates a v_table for it doesn't it?

Nop, only classes with vritual functions have a v-table.

Read up on classes and how they implement member functions more closely. Everything makes more sense now, i just assumed that member functions were always handled with function pointers. Which is kinda stupid if I think about it. All of it should be resolvable at compile time.

Does this mean that a POD type can have member functions as long as it doesn't have any base class, constructor, destructor or virtual functions?
EDIT: It does mean that.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 08:09:30 pm »
Well it is fun to optimize. It makes you ask questions and you learn lots by doing it.

I agree, but learning is not my goal for SFML ;)

Does this mean that a POD type can have member functions as long as it doesn't have any base class, constructor or destructor?

Yes, the definition of POD only forbids virtual functions and user-defined constructors/destructor/assignment operators. Regular member functions are ok.

Bozemoto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 08:32:35 pm »
I found a cleaner way of doing it just now.

union Color
{
   struct
   { GLubyte r,g,b,a; };
   GLuint data32;
};

Isn't this a bit less ugly?
It's alot cleaner to work with then my previous version atleast.

Robert42

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 08:48:35 pm »
Quote from: "Bozemoto"

union Color
{
   struct
   { GLubyte r,g,b,a; };
   GLuint data32;
};

Correct me if I am wrong, but alignment could be an problem here:
The CPU can access single members faster, if their address is aligned (for example every address%4=0)
In this case &g - &r would be 4, so changing data32 would have no effect on g, b or a

I don't know whether there are compiler activating alignment without asking or whether the C++standart forbids  alignment within unions.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 09:35:57 pm »
By the way, if I remember correctly, the standard states that writing a member of a union and reading another is an undefined behaviour.

But anyway, yes, it's still ugly in my opinion. I was not talking about the code itself, but the whole idea.

Bozemoto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 12:29:13 am »
Quote from: "Robert42"
Correct me if I am wrong, but alignment could be an problem here:
The CPU can access single members faster, if their address is aligned (for example every address%4=0)
In this case &g - &r would be 4, so changing data32 would have no effect on g, b or a

I don't know whether there are compiler activating alignment without asking or whether the C++standart forbids  alignment within unions.

why is &g - &r? they are both one byte large. the size of 4 GLubyte is 4 bytes and the size of GLuint is also 4bytes. Why would the program pad each of the four bytes with three empty bytes? I have tried reading up a bit on alignment (good sources are scarce) and couldn't make sense of anything. Some testing shows that it works perfectly fine as it is. Though, the data is sort of scrambled. Dont know how it will fare on other platforms though.

0xAABBGGRR - the data is organized like this when writing to it like an int
Perhaps you know why? I'm a bit tired now and cant really think straight.

Also, Laurent. Perhaps you could share a bit more about why you think it's ugly. It seems like you have some kind of insight I don't and I think it will benefit me if I knew what it is that makes this idea so bad.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 01:54:18 am »
Why would the program pad each of the four bytes with three empty bytes?
Access to addresses aligned on 32 bit bounds may be faster, thus a compiler can perform this optimization. Only arrays guarantee a subsequent memory layout.

Also, Laurent. Perhaps you could share a bit more about why you think it's ugly. It seems like you have some kind of insight I don't and I think it will benefit me if I knew what it is that makes this idea so bad.
Your approach relies on behavior that is not covered by the C++ standard, thus any compiler is allowed to generate code far from the user's intention.

On the other side, you don't really win anything with the union approach. You can easily cover the same functionality in a less "hacky" way, and avoid potential trouble by doing so.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Disch

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 02:15:31 am »
I agree that this should not be added to SFML.

I also remember hearing the same thing about using unions this way as being undefined behavior.

That said... you can easily work around this in your program.  Just make your own color class that has union behavior and overload the sf::Color casting operator.

Bozemoto

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 08:39:26 am »
Quote from: "Nexus"
On the other side, you don't really win anything with the union approach. You can easily cover the same functionality in a less "hacky" way, and avoid potential trouble by doing so.

Why is there no gain?

Why does

color.r = 255;
color.g = 255;
color.b = 0;
color.a = 255;

have the same operating speed as

color.data32 = 0xFF00FFFF;

It atleast to to me isn't obvious.

Also if having a set of 4 GLubytes instead of an array is undefined bahaviour this is also the case in sfml. Al you do in OpenGL is pass a Glubyte pointer to the beginning of the data and it is read in direct succession. So I can be as sure as Laurent that four GLubyte is contained within a 4byte integer. If it wasn't the case neither of our implementations would work. Infact, I mey even be more sure then Laurent since I use a POD type, which guarantees a magic free implementation.

Lastly, please write out the less hacky way. I have obviously not thought about it and would appreciate if you could write it out instead of just saying it exists.

EDIT:
I guess memcpy would be a less "hacky" solution. and you could use it in an overloaded = operator function.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 09:03:05 am »
We're not talking about speed. In fact no one cares about the slight speed improvement that it brings, really. All we wee is that the class becomes more complex and incorrect (cf. undefined behaviour) for no good design reason.

Also if having a set of 4 GLubytes instead of an array is undefined bahaviour this is also the case in sfml. Al you do in OpenGL is pass a Glubyte pointer to the beginning of the data and it is read in direct succession. So I can be as sure as Laurent that four GLubyte is contained within a 4byte integer. If it wasn't the case neither of our implementations would work.

SFML doesn't use vertex arrays (yet), the color is used in a call to glColor4ub(r, g, b, a).

Infact, I mey even be more sure then Laurent since I use a POD type, which guarantees a magic free implementation.

POD types have no more guarantee than other types about padding.

Lastly, please write out the less hacky way. I have obviously not thought about it and would appreciate if you could write it out instead of just saying it exists.

I already gave a solution for the rand_color() problem. And if you want to assign any integer to a color you can do this:
sf::Color color(sf::Uint32 value)
{
    return sf::Color(...bitwise operations to extract components...);
}

No one cares whether it takes 2 or 20 CPU cycles ;)

anything