Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFGUI (0.4.0 released)  (Read 347878 times)

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SFGUI (0.2.0 released)
« Reply #495 on: November 26, 2013, 04:51:26 pm »
Right, I meant all widgets in all desktops. It still feels meh-y though so I'm doing some loud (wishful) thinking. ::)
Are you excited about (my) first attempt of (semi) complete Lua binding that is currently in progress? :P ;D
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

r0d

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 03, 2013, 03:00:45 pm »
Hello,

I want to test SFGUI, but I have problems to compile it. I'm on windows 7 with VS 2013 express ed.
I downloaded the last release: on this page, I downloaded the zip file (the button on the right).
I also downloaded the last release of SFML (2.1), but only the "user package" (only binaries and include files).
I managed to generate the VS projects files for SFGUI with cmake.
But when I compile (ALL_BUILD), I got some link errors about the sf::String::begin() fonction that is unresolved:
2>Engine.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: class std::_String_const_iterator<class std::_String_val<struct std::_Simple_types<unsigned int> > > __cdecl sf::String::begin(void)const " (__imp_?begin@String@sf@@QEBA?AV?$_String_const_iterator@V?$_String_val@U?$_Simple_types@I@std@@@std@@@std@@XZ) referenced in function "public: class sf::Vector2<float> __cdecl sfg::Engine::GetTextMetricsA(class sf::String const &,class sf::Font const &,unsigned int)const " (?GetTextMetricsA@Engine@sfg@@QEBA?AV?$Vector2@M@sf@@AEBVString@4@AEBVFont@4@I@Z)

But I looked in SFML/String.hpp  and this function is well declared (indeed there is 2 version, one returns an iterator, an the other a const iterator).

So first of all, I wanted to bring to your attention this little problem.
And now, what must I do? Do you think I have to download the source code of SFML and compile it?

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
« Reply #497 on: December 03, 2013, 03:11:39 pm »
There is no pre-compiled version of SFML available for Visual Studio 2013 (yet). So it makes sense that you need to compile SFML for Visual Studio 2013 instead of using something for an older version that probably doesn't work ;). If you are brave you can give the SFML Installer a try. It should do it for you automatically. No guarantees though ;D.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

r0d

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 03, 2013, 04:03:18 pm »
Thank you binary4E0,

I downloaded the SFML sources and compiled it with vs2013 compilator, and now every thing is ok.
Thank you :)

AxelRantila

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #499 on: January 24, 2014, 10:24:40 am »
Yes, absolutely, SFGUI will be completely decoupled from SFML. We will initially provide drivers for using SFGUI together with SFML and raw OpenGL applications/games. With some effort it should be possible to use SFGUI with OGRE and Irrlicht as well, then (of course only if the OpenGL drivers are used, DX is not and will never be supported).
But will we still be able use SFGUI with SFML even after it is decoupled? I haven't SFGUI yet, but I want to be able to use it with SFML even if it is decoupled

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #500 on: January 24, 2014, 10:31:43 am »
Yes, you will be able to use SFGUI with SFML. There will even be an adapter for SFML included, no worries. :)

eigenbom

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 30, 2014, 12:02:25 am »
Why are you spending time decoupling it from SFML? There are already so many other cross-lib GUI kits out there, and I think the main attraction of SFGUI is that it works easily with SFML. But now you're going to have to duplicate SFML concepts at a higher level (Image, Vector, blah) in order to abstract it. GUI kits like Gwen, for instance, annoy me because the adapters for SFML/SDL/whatever never seem to be up to date - simply because there's not enough man power to maintain them all.

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #502 on: January 30, 2014, 09:20:08 am »
Why are you spending time decoupling it from SFML?
Because at least I need it in projects that don't use SFML. Besides of that, we had to do a lot of workarounds to work flawlessly together with SFML, and we want to avoid spending time on such things.

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
« Reply #503 on: January 30, 2014, 10:41:16 am »
Why are you spending time decoupling it from SFML?
As you already said yourself, it costs man power to keep it in sync with SFML considering we don't only have an adapter to maintain, so making it more or less independent of SFML will save us time that we can invest in other areas.

There are already so many other cross-lib GUI kits out there
Yeah... I used many of them, also in conjunction with SFML before I discovered SFGUI all those years ago, and quite frankly they were all horrible. So I guess we can use this opportunity to give people something that is... well... simple and fast to use with their existing frameworks.

and I think the main attraction of SFGUI is that it works easily with SFML.
Decoupling SFGUI from SFML does not imply that it won't be as easy to use with SFML as it was before... It might even be that from your standpoint you wouldn't even have to change a single line of code and it would just continue to work. It is more of an internal restructuring.

But now you're going to have to duplicate SFML concepts at a higher level (Image, Vector, blah) in order to abstract it.
We already have our own version of many SFML concepts just to keep performance up and even have to work around those that we find annoying.

GUI kits like Gwen, for instance, annoy me because the adapters for SFML/SDL/whatever never seem to be up to date - simply because there's not enough man power to maintain them all.
If you look at the work being done on them, I don't think it is about manpower as much as it is about interest. Nobody who is capable cares enough about the adapters to keep them up to date.

If the case is that not much work is being done on them in the first place, then you can't expect the adapters to work anyway.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

eigenbom

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 30, 2014, 10:06:23 pm »
Oh I see, well needing it to be on another platform for your own use sounds like the best reason to me. In any case, good luck guys, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with. :)

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #505 on: February 06, 2014, 02:38:15 pm »
SFGUI 0.2.1 released.

Enhancements:
  • GLee replaced by GLEW.
Fixes:
  • Fixed compilation error on GLXContextID.
  • Fixed CMake configuration generating library file names that ld couldn't find when using symbolic names during linking.

Grab it while it's hot!

WEBSITE http://sfgui.sfml-dev.de/

Dragonic

• View Profile
Re: SFGUI (0.2.1 released)
« Reply #506 on: February 12, 2014, 12:56:17 pm »
Woow, really interesting ^^ !

And last version with GLEW, just perfect for my project ^^ !

I started to code my own GUI for my multiplayer game project, but I think that your library could be really usefull in this case ^^ !

I'll test it, I have to see how I can use my own design with it ^^ !

EDIT : I have some errors when building (Windows, SFML 2.0 or MinGW 4.7.3 not supported ?) :

Scanning dependencies of target sfgui
[  1%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/sfgui.dir/src/SFGUI/Adjustment.cpp.obj
In file included from D:\Dossier personnel\dev\SFGUI-0.2.1\src\SFGUI\Adjustment.
cpp:1:0:
D:/Dossier personnel/dev/SFGUI-0.2.1/include/SFGUI/Adjustment.hpp:18:3: error: l
ooser throw specifier for 'virtual sfg::Adjustment::~Adjustment()'
In file included from D:/Dossier personnel/dev/SFGUI-0.2.1/include/SFGUI/Adjustm
ent.hpp:3:0,
                 from D:\Dossier personnel\dev\SFGUI-0.2.1\src\SFGUI\Adjustment.
cpp:1:
D:/Dossier personnel/dev/SFGUI-0.2.1/include/SFGUI/Object.hpp:22:11: error:   ov
erriding 'virtual sfg::Object::~Object() noexcept (true)'
CMakeFiles\sfgui.dir\build.make:57: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/sfgui.dir/src/
SFGUI/Adjustment.cpp.obj' failed
mingw32-make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/sfgui.dir/src/SFGUI/Adjustment.cpp.obj] Error 1

CMakeFiles\Makefile2:62: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/sfgui.dir/all' failed
mingw32-make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/sfgui.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:115: recipe for target 'all' failed
mingw32-make: *** [all] Error 2

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 03:03:12 pm by Dragonic »

ChronicRat

• C++ programmer
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #507 on: February 12, 2014, 03:37:43 pm »
Look here for required compilers: http://sfgui.sfml-dev.de/p/docs/guide/installing

Dragonic

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 12, 2014, 05:02:33 pm »
Look here for required compilers: http://sfgui.sfml-dev.de/p/docs/guide/installing

I already saw this before building ! But don't know with that if SFML 2.0 or GCC 4.7.3 is the problem with me !?

Code::Blocks 12.11 release contains GCC 4.7.1 which is not compatible with SFGUI
GCC 4.7.3 ?

Continue by downloading and installing SFML 2.1 and GLEW
SFML 2.0 is supported ?

I ask this because I don't really want to spend time to download and build SFML 2.1 if GCC 4.7.3 cannot be used ^^ ! And that would be a big problem for me because I can't use GCC 4.8+ (bug with one library I use) !

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
AW: SFGUI (0.2.1 released)
« Reply #509 on: February 12, 2014, 05:27:08 pm »
The difference between 4.7.1 and 4.7.3 are only small bug fixes. The difference between 4.7.x and 4.8.x are complete C++11 support, which SFGUI makes use of.

Since you'll have to rebuild SFML anyways (to match your compiler) go with the source directly. The master branch is essentially always stable.

What bug does which library have with GCC 4.8.x?

Btw. I can recommend to get the bundle from MinGW Builds. ;)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

anything