Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFGUI (0.4.0 released)  (Read 347898 times)

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
SFGUI
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2011, 06:53:21 pm »
@Naufr4g0:
No, it doesn't make sense yet. I'm glad I didn't write articles yet, because the API changed massively in the past days. ;) I'll announce it here when the guide is being written.

@victorlevasseur:
That depends on if it will lead to problems. However when having a "newer" compiler you shouldn't run into problems at all. GCC 4.5.2 does already support a lot of C++11's features, but I already found some which are not supported (e.g. range-based for or the "nullptr" constant).
The c++11 branch of SFGUI uses some of those, but I can drop them again. So GCC 4.5.2 will be absolutely no problem.

Regarding using it: In GCC you simply add the "--std=c++0x" flag. It's done automagically in the SFGUI CMake file but needs to be set in your projects, too.

Keep in mind that this hasn't been decided yet.

asdatapel

• View Profile
SFGUI
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2011, 09:28:48 pm »
hey tank. I managed to compile sfml, buut i cant use it. I looked at the test source but its really confusing, so it would be great if you could right one or two guides or tutorials. thanks

MorleyDev

• "It is not enough for code to work."
    • View Profile
    • http://www.morleydev.co.uk/
SFGUI
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2011, 10:06:28 pm »
nullptr is in the latest versions of GCC starting with GCC 4.6, http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.6/cxx0x_status.html

You can grab the build for windows at http://nuwen.net/ if possible ^^
UnitTest11 - A unit testing library in C++ written to take advantage of C++11.

All code is guilty until proven innocent, unworthy until tested, and pointless without singular and well-defined purpose.

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
SFGUI
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2011, 11:13:23 pm »
@asdapel
Writing a tutorial at the moment is useless. We will provide articles on how to use SFGUI when the "core" API is considered stable. Check the sample in samples/Test.cpp, should be pretty straight-forward for a beginning.

@MorleyDev
I'm aware of it and am using 4.6, but there are still many compatibility issues with wide-spread compiler versions, especially on different platforms. So it's generally a good idea to stay as compatible as possible so that the majority can use the library without adjustments. Btw, I can't make a use of Win builds, incompatible binary format ;-)

However I'd like to thank you guys for the feedback so far. It's very helpful and shows up problems and glitches we haven't encountered yet. And of course it's nice to see this beast generating interest. Keep it coming! :-)

asdatapel

• View Profile
SFGUI
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2011, 12:44:50 am »
ive checked it, but its kinda confusing. a small tutorial of the very basics would be very helpful

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
SFGUI
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2011, 01:33:42 am »
Quote from: "asdatapel"
ive checked it, but its kinda confusing. a small tutorial of the very basics would be very helpful

Yeah I admit we didn't think of the straightforwardness of the sample app. It was meant more for testing and showcasing purposes (hence it being samples/Test.cpp). Maybe if I find time tomorrow I'll write a small and concise example of the basic usage of the library with a bit more comments in the code. :wink:

For more advanced usage of the library we still expect users to refer to the doxygen API documentation that you can generate yourself if you have doxygen installed on your system. Soon we'll provide it online too at http://sfgui.sfml-dev.de/ so stay tuned.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

Naufr4g0

• View Profile
SFGUI
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2011, 01:57:26 am »
Quote from: "binary1248"

Yeah I admit we didn't think of the straightforwardness of the sample app. It was meant more for testing and showcasing purposes (hence it being samples/Test.cpp). Maybe if I find time tomorrow I'll write a small and concise example of the basic usage of the library with a bit more comments in the code. :wink:

For more advanced usage of the library we still expect users to refer to the doxygen API documentation that you can generate yourself if you have doxygen installed on your system. Soon we'll provide it online too at http://sfgui.sfml-dev.de/ so stay tuned.

I realized how to do a simple gui, but a small guide will be very useful, expecially on button styles.
Anyway this is a cropped image of my first sfgui project. :)

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
SFGUI
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2011, 11:35:57 am »
Nice it's working for you. What do you mean by "button styles"?

asdatapel

• View Profile
SFGUI
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2011, 06:52:01 pm »
oh yeah and i forgot to mention the test app exe provided doesnt work on my comp. It'll hang for a few minutes, and then randomly pop out button and stuff. its wierd.

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
SFGUI
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2011, 08:38:31 pm »
Quote from: "asdatapel"
oh yeah and i forgot to mention the test app exe provided doesnt work on my comp. It'll hang for a few minutes, and then randomly pop out button and stuff. its wierd.

Normally I wouldn't recommend just executing the exe on your computer without knowing against what versions of SFML and SFGUI it was linked against (assuming it was linked dynamically) if you aren't compiling it yourself that is. If it was linked statically and still exhibits such behavior, it would help if you could be more specific about what doesn't work or how it works if at all. Further you can try to comment out sections of the test app source and keep compiling and testing to isolate the offending code block / widget.

Better sample apps are coming soon though so hang in there.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
SFGUI
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2011, 12:21:35 am »
I recommend to comment out the scrolled window widget in the test app. It uses render-to-image which is known to raise problems on some systems/setups. (another guy who tested SFGUI got a black screen)

victorlevasseur

• View Profile
SFGUI
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2011, 07:10:50 am »
You can grab the build for windows at http://nuwen.net/ if possible ^^

This version of GCC is needed by the SDK I use (to make a plug-in).

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
SFGUI
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2011, 01:20:24 pm »
Anyone know if GCC 4.5.2 support std::shared_ptr ?

Yup, it does.

victorlevasseur

• View Profile
SFGUI
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2011, 01:22:53 pm »
Ok, I have compile SFGUI beta branch with GCC 4.5.2, it works without Boost's warnings.  :D

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
SFGUI
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2011, 01:51:53 pm »
...because there's no Boost used anymore. ;) Great that it works for you.

anything