Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Audio compatibility on other computers  (Read 14849 times)

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Audio compatibility on other computers
« on: September 14, 2008, 09:15:59 pm »
Hi,

It is always the same. On the computer where programs are compiled everything works perfectly, but as soon as I want to use them on other computers, there are problems and errors occuring. :?

In the meantime, I even managed to make programs using SFML graphics run on other systems. :)  Now I have got the same problem with sound. Sometimes, the program doesn't even start (windows error "... doesn't work any more" (translated)), or it starts, but sound doesn't work, and suddenly, the program is hanging. While not using sound, everything behaves well. In the cmd console window, I get the error message: "Failed to open the audio device".

Before, I just linked statically to the SFML libs and provided the CRT DLLs in the same directory. Now with SFML audio, there are two more DLLs to provide, am I right? These are libsndfile-1.dll and OpenAL32.dll. Are there other dependences?

What could be the reason for those problems? I rather don't want to force the users of my applications to install anything, that's why I provide all the DLLs. I would be glad if you didn't start a discussion about "it's no great thing to install the ... package, other apps need the .NET binding which is much bigger" ;)
If there is a possibility to avoid any downloads, packages, redists and setups, I would like to use it. And I still think there is, since even MSVC redistributable needn't be installed anywhere.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

dunce

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 06:15:20 am »
even MSVC redistributable needn't be installed anywhere.

This is right if you provide the manifest file along with runtime dlls.
All additional dependencies can be revealed by ms dependency walker utility. This utility is a must-have for developers on Windows platform.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 07:28:45 pm »
Thanks a lot, it works now! :)

Dependency Walker seems to be a very useful tool ;)
With it, I found out the file wrap_oal.dll is required for OpenAL audio, too.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

anything