Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML & Marmalade  (Read 4690 times)

slotdev

• View Profile
SFML & Marmalade
« on: April 09, 2012, 09:22:46 pm »
Feasibility of porting SFML 2 to work with the Marmalade system, and therefore iOS, Android, Symbian and loads of other platforms, in one hit.

My guess is...loads of work. But it would be very, very cool.

Ed
SFML 2.1

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Re: SFML & Marmalade
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 09:49:24 pm »
Marmalade is a framework. SFML works with native system calls just uses diffrent code for diffrent platform.
I don't know enough about Marmalade but I don't think it does need another abstraction. If you want to use Marmalade learn how do work with it.

Also the task is not trivial and I don't see how anyone would have the time to try to port SFML. Laurent at least won't have any time, he's busy enough working on SFML 2 on daily bases next to his job. ;)

But SFML for mobile platforms would certaintly be usefull.
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

slotdev

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 10:04:58 pm »
Marmalade is a framework. SFML works with native system calls just uses diffrent code for diffrent platform.
I don't know enough about Marmalade but I don't think it does need another abstraction. If you want to use Marmalade learn how do work with it.

Also the task is not trivial and I don't see how anyone would have the time to try to port SFML. Laurent at least won't have any time, he's busy enough working on SFML 2 on daily bases next to his job. ;)

But SFML for mobile platforms would certaintly be usefull.

Sure, but there should be a way to wrap SFML around the Marmalade system to some degree. I know it's a far from trivial task, but just in case anyone thought about it, I guess here is the place to discuss it.

SFML on mobile is, in my opinion, critical. We all see the move toward mobile computing, and SFML has to embrace this to survive long term.

I am sure Laurent can find another few hours a day to work on it ;D
SFML 2.1

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 10:43:23 pm »
SFML is a cross-platform library for multimedia, there's no point writing it on top of another one that does the same job. By the way, I don't know what Marmalade is exactly (I could just stay 30 seconds on the website), I'll take a deeper look at it tomorrow.

SFML will be ported to mobile platforms (natively) when I have the time to do it.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Meteorhead

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 08:42:40 am »
I would like to suggest that first mobile platform be Win8 and it's WinRT for making Metro UI apps. I know that most likely it's nearly as much effort as Android or any other OS, but Win8 is gonna hit the mobile devices hard.

Astrof

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 07:10:46 pm »
I would like to suggest that first mobile platform be Win8 and it's WinRT for making Metro UI apps. I know that most likely it's nearly as much effort as Android or any other OS, but Win8 is gonna hit the mobile devices hard.

I would like to respectfully disagree with your suggestion.  Even if Win8 "hits hard" I don't think it'll make up for the headstart iOS or Android already have on it.