Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: sounds stream test  (Read 2308 times)

greeniekin

• View Profile
sounds stream test
« on: April 13, 2012, 08:47:08 pm »
I saw the soundStream class and i decided on testing it out with a little tone synth thing.

I originally had heaps of trouble. It worked but with crackling and pops even when 20 secs of audio of one tone was sent at a time. Drove me mad. I eventually went to the site below and updated openal and it worked(i'm on windows 7 by the way)
http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/Forms/AllItems.aspx

What I was wondering is for how many of you does it pop or crackle and if you fixed it with the download from the site. The demo is below. Also remember that if you switch notes quickly you will get a pop. That is because of my implementation and not openal. I only fade in one not and out one note at a time.

https://legacy.sfmluploads.org/file/126

Any feedback will be much appreciated.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 09:42:24 pm by greeniekin »

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: sounds stream test
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 08:51:03 pm »
Did you first use the openal32.dll file provided with SFML, or some random version that was already installed on your PC?
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

greeniekin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 09:48:58 pm »
Did you first use the openal32.dll file provided with SFML, or some random version that was already installed on your PC?

That is true I just ran it without any openal.dll in it's folder. So it must have been a pre-existing openal library on my pc. Though it is strange that they would be different. The one i downloaded said last updated in Summer of 2009. O well. Mystery solved.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 10:11:20 pm »
The Creative Labs implementation (which used to be the official one in the past) is really crappy. Especially old versions. Which means that if you have an OpenAL DLL in your Windows/System folder, it's most likely a crappy one.

The one that SFML provides is OpenAL-Soft, and it's the only one that should be ever used.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer