Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: My Programming Various Programming Projects [UPDATED: 07/08/12]  (Read 6935 times)

aNewHobby

• View Profile
    • Live 4 Ever Or Die Trying
Well... it is assessment time at UNI and here is my new game!! Woot-a-loot-a-lot!!!

This is a Pac-Man Clone called NOM!.... hope you guys like it.. as before this is a windows binary but I will eventually make a Mac and Linux version as I have time.. I am in the middle of assessments at the moment so not much time unfortunately.

I'm pretty happy with this one there are some small problems still and it isn't very memory efficient and lacks some polish but as a learning project I think it came out pretty well in the few weeks we had to work on it.

Big thanks again to the various people who hang in IRC and are foolish enough to speak tor me!

As with all our assignments we are required to make a "Rolling Demo" so here it is.. though They always look kinda lame to me..

Nom! V1.1 (Windows)

Source @ BitBucket - (Warning a fucking mess)

=====================================================================

Ok I'm back... well I nvr left.. big thanks to the forum members as well as though foolish enough to respond when I spoke in IRC. I couldn't have done this with out you all.

This is my 2nd ever program I have ever written and I think it came out really well considering. This is a assessment to hand in for marks, and I have 2 other assessments for other subjects due and just have to call it quits here bugs and all.

Still check it out and any comments would be welcome.  I used Thor Animation for all the animations btw.

ArkBreaker (windows), (linux)

This should be cross platform and I plan to build a Unix (ubuntu) and a Mac version when I get time after my mid term assessments are all done.

Anyway.. bit thanks to those that helped and I'll see you for Assessment 3... witch I already know what it will be... a Pac-Mac clone!

See ya!!

Oh part of the Assignment was to make a rolling demo.. so here it is!

=====================================================================

Hi there.

I have been learning programming recently. Been at it about 6 weeks now slowly working though some book from amazon, some PDFs I was given, google, http://cplusplus.com, http://en.cppreference.com/w/ and ##C++-Basic@freenode.

I tell you this so you understand I am a beginner, as in a real beginner I hadn't programmed a line of code in my life until a little over a month ago. I feel I have done pretty well..

There is still a occasional bug that crashes it but I feel that fixing this one bug is not a major concern,  for me as I'm not trying to produce anything just learn. The project got a little out of hand for me and the once neat code block design degenerated into a real mess. I feel that if i trashed it all and started again I would do a lot better, including range checks on my vector accesses.. witch is the error here, and going though and putting them all in is not teaching me anything but a exercise.

I feel I will be better served by trying to incorporate my lessons into my new project rather than "fix" up this one.

Still I had a lot of fun and SFML once I got it kinda working was a real nice way to add some spice to the game. I intend to keep using it for my next project witch will be a similar simple type of thing but this time I will use 2D gfx powered by SFML!

--== Download == --
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bopbkhrxknipte0 (PC ONLY)

If you get a DLL error you may need to install
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)

Or
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64)

Again, thanks for the help of those on this forum and I'll chat to you all again soon!

--aNewHobby
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:12:06 pm by aNewHobby »
Twitter: @Jyinkies
My Own Little Spot on the Net: - Live4everOrDieTrying.info (Blog)

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Re: Global Nuclear War - Assessment 2 (04/212)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 06:08:20 pm »
Interesting game. ;)
I expected some graphical stuff and was quite surprised with the terminal game but I like the navigation and it works good.
The game theme is a bit confusing, I don't know if I should like it to throw around nuclear bombs but I guess the idea is not from you.

Keep it up and dig deeper into SFML specially the graphics part.
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

aNewHobby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 12:14:23 am »
yes, I realize that it was kinda like using a F1 to drive to the shops using SFML in a console app, but as I said I am only a beginner and I haven't made anything but console apps so far in the course of working though the amazon book.

I plan to use GFX next time though.. assuming I can get it to work. I am currently working though the "game from scratch"

aBallofWin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 11:34:22 pm »
Very nice for a first proper game, i've recently finished my first game myself :)

Was an interesting take on battleship and for me, no bugs.

aNewHobby

• View Profile
Re: My Programming Various Programming Projects [UPDATED: 27/06/12]
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 02:57:28 pm »
Ok I'm back... well I nvr left.. big thanks to the forum members as well as though foolish enough to respond when I spoke in IRC. I couldn't have done this with out you all.

This is my 2nd ever program I have ever written and I think it came out really well considering. This is a assessment to hand in for marks, and I have 2 other assessments for other subjects due and just have to call it quits here bugs and all.

Still check it out and any comments would be welcome.  I used Thor Animation for all the animations btw.

ArkBreaker (win) v1.1
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?683czti8p2j2i09

This should be cross platform and I plan to build a Unix (ubuntu) and a Mac version when I get time after my mid term assessments are all done.

Anyway.. bit thanks to those that helped and I'll see you for Assessment 3... witch I already know what it will be... a Pac-Mac clone!

See ya!!
Oh part of the Assignment was to make a rolling demo.. so here it is!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 05:10:58 am by aNewHobby »

aNewHobby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 03:35:49 am »
added a linux version.. still a bit shaky on this but I "think" it runs....

ArkBreker-Linux

You may need to run the .sh file... if you can not then sudo chmod +x ArkBreaker.sh first

aNewHobby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 08:11:20 pm »
Well... it is assessment time at UNI and here is my new game!! Woot-a-loot-a-lot!!!

This is a Pac-Man Clone called NOM!.... hope you guys like it.. as before this is a windows binary but I will eventually make a Mac and Linux version as I have time.. I am in the middle of assessments at the moment so not much time unfortunately.

I'm pretty happy with this one there are some small problems still and it isn't very memory efficient and lacks some polish but as a learning project I think it came out pretty well in the few weeks we had to work on it.

Big thanks again to the various people who hang in IRC and are foolish enough to speak tor me!

As with all our assignments we are required to make a "Rolling Demo" so here it is.. though They always look kinda lame to me..

Nom! V1.1 (Windows)

Source @ BitBucket - (Warning a fucking mess)

StormWingDelta

• View Profile
Re: My Programming Various Programming Projects [UPDATED: 07/08/12]
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 12:43:12 am »
The Nom game won't play for some reason. The screen blacks out with a white area when it first comes up than completely whites out when it tries to render anything. :(  No clue why since this just started happening to me.
I have many ideas but need the help of others to find way to make use of them.

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 12:44:58 am »
The Nom game won't play for some reason. The screen blacks out with a white area when it first comes up than completely whites out when it tries to render anything. :(  No clue why since this just started happening to me.
Is your graphics card driver uptodate?
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 08:56:29 pm »
As stated on IRC already: Nice game! And finally a beginner who keeps motivated and finishes his stuff, good to see progress. Keep it going. :)

aNewHobby

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 01:48:30 am »

I'm not sure.. I have not had problems playing it on a number of computers.. I do not really no what to say or how to fix that :(

anything