Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: frame rate drops without cout  (Read 2079 times)

devon

• View Profile
frame rate drops without cout
« on: November 26, 2008, 07:17:21 am »
So I finally figured out how to compile with the static libraries, which basically meant I finally figured out how to use VS2005. Although the debug static libraries still give me this error:

Code: [Select]
mt.exe : general error c101008a: Failed to save the updated manifest to the file ".\Debug\Asterist.exe.embed.manifest". The parameter is incorrect.

The release works fine.

Anyways, after using VS2005 for awhile I noticed my frame rate had dropped considerably, so I added in this to check the frame rate:
Code: [Select]

float Framerate = 1.f / win.GetFrameTime();
cout << Framerate << endl;

and lo and behold the framerate was back at 60 (since I limited it to 60). Further testing revealed simply couting anything to the console made it run at 60fps.

I don't get it? Changing the program to a windows application and leaving cout in there also makes it run slow. Is there a Visual Studio setting that's hanging up the program without console input?

Any help would be appreciated.

devon

• View Profile
frame rate drops without cout
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 01:14:07 am »
REALLY WEIRD

Okay I narrowed the problem down to only existing when my laptop is on max cpu speed setting in notebook hardware control. When it's on battery, there is no drop in framerates. Which is ironic because then it runs at 1ghz instead of 1.86ghz.

But this bug is so strange to me! When it's on full cpu power, console output is needed to make the game run at full speed. I'll try uninstalling nhc and see if that is the problem or if it has to do with the hardware cpu stepping. But since it runs fine in ubuntu, I bet it has to do with nhc, or an nhc setting in windows.

anything