Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Nacl support  (Read 6054 times)

therocode

• View Profile
    • Development blog
Nacl support
« on: May 10, 2012, 09:56:22 am »
Hey!

I think it would be awesome if SFML was ported to work on NaCl. Google's Native Client technology. This is a framework that makes it possible to compile and run native C/C++ code directy as an applicaton in the browser, with openGL ES 2.0 rendering. The only browser that supports it as of now is chrome, however they aim to have more browsers implementing it.

It handles window creation, getting an openGL context and events (key, mouse, gamepad) so I suppose one would have to make a bridge between their API that provides such (the pepper API) and SFML as well as have SFML use openGL ES. The rest shouldn't need much work.

As I have myself worked a bit with NaCl I'd gladly aid the porting procedure should it be decided to be done. I suppose it would have to wait for the openGL ES porting too.

But I strongly suggest that this is considered since it would mean that applications written in sfml could with a very little effort be deployed over the web as applications. Google has shown a quake port to native client and they claim the performance loss is only about 5%-10%.

What do you think?

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: Nacl support
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 10:12:48 am »
Porting SFML to OpenGL ES will be a top priority after SFML 2.0 is released. But then there are many ports that would be interesting: Android, iOS, XCB, WinRT, NaCl, ... So don't expect it to happen soon.

But at least, when SFML is ready to be ported to such platforms, you can already start working on the NaCl port on your side if you want :)
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

therocode

• View Profile
    • Development blog
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 11:05:03 am »
Okay yep, that sounds good. :) Yeah, it taking time is reasonable.

But I'd gladly start working whenever possible indeed. Is it only the openGL ES feature that needs to be in for such a porting to be initiated?

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 11:40:37 am »
Is it only the openGL ES feature that needs to be in for such a porting to be initiated?
Mainly. I also want to do some modifications in the sfml-window package (handling [multi-]touch events, limiting to a single fullscreen window, etc.). But these modifications are not blocking.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

grendel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 10:27:26 pm »
Old thread; however, did anyway get SFML working under PNaCl?

Mr_Blame

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 05:12:03 pm »
Nope
But now it woks under iOS and android.

therocode

• View Profile
    • Development blog
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 12:51:10 pm »
These days it would probably be more reasonable to aim for emscripten :)

anything