Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: VC2010 and SFML 1.6  (Read 1822 times)

Mystess

• View Profile
VC2010 and SFML 1.6
« on: June 08, 2012, 07:15:28 am »
Hello all,

So I've started learning SFML this week for my C++ project. As the title says, I'm having problems running the tutorial examples. I'm using the libs and dlls compiled on Visual Studio 2010 - somehow I can't get thorugh buildig them, so I downloaded from here (someone posted the built things) - and their respective debug versions as I am building debug version of the little examples.

Now, the problem: the application builds but doesn't run properly. The window that was supposed to show up doesn't show, and I have to kill the application via the Task Manager.

I'm using Visual Studio 2010 Professional.

On a separate note: I get the feeling the whole problems are the libs and dlls. I downloaded them because, as I said, I can't get them to be built on my IDE. On the Debug DLL mode, the sfml-xxx-d-.lib aren't created, and the sfml-graphics keep getting errors.

Any help is appreciated, this is driving me nuts. Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 07:34:53 am by Mystess »

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: VC2010 and SFML 1.6
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 08:05:09 am »
This is a known bug. You should really use SFML 2.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Mystess

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 04:06:56 pm »
This is a known bug. You should really use SFML 2.

Thanks for the reply. Well, that's awful, since SFML 2 doesn't have a complete tutorial, and the 1.6 examples don't work with it.

Guess I'll have to deal with 2.0. Again, thanks for the reply.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 04:13:36 pm »
With the documentation and the forum, you can find out what has changed. And the SFML 2 tutorials are going to be complete soon.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Serapth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 04:58:00 pm »
Try running the pre-configured project from the bottom of this page.

Just download it, extract to a folder, open the solution and hit F5.  If all works well, you should have a fully configured project file to work from ( it will simply show a red screen ).

If it doesn't work, you may want to check out this post in the comments, which appears to work around the problem:

OK.. I've finally fixed my graphics driver problem (The atigktxx.Dll fix caused crashes for me). Firstly, I rolled back the drivers to v10.6 - the game was now working. Then I looked at the ATI files the debugger was using (in the SysWOW64 folder) and copied them. Then I reloaded my newer drivers and copied the dll files into the games debugger folder and the game booted.

After a little testing, I found that the aticfx32.dll file was the only file I needed to fix the problem. If anyone else has this problem, hopefully this fix will work for you as well.  You can download the DLL file here:

Additionally, some people have had success with this work around.

Then again, some people had blue screens as a result. ;)

I can't confirm the first work around um... works, as I no longer have an ATI based card to test on.  ( And boy do I not miss them! )