Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Zloxx II - An action Jump'n'Run  (Read 114314 times)

Oldie

• View Profile
Re: Zloxx II - An action Jump'n'Run
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 12:06:48 am »
In fact, there are many more libraries required (the SFML dependencies), but they're typically very stable C libraries with binary compatibility, and most of them are already installed in Linux distributions.

Now I included Boost in the Runtime folder, the new package is online.

I downloaded the new package, and now I get this:
./Zloxx2: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by ./Runtime/libthor.so)
./Zloxx2: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by ./Runtime/libsfml-audio.so.2)
./Zloxx2: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by ./Runtime/libsfml-graphics.so.2)
./Zloxx2: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by ./Runtime/libsfml-window.so.2)

I have glibc v2.13 installed: libc.so.6 -> libc-2.13.so

It looks like it will be difficult to work around this issue, as this library is very sensible. I have searched for a solution, to no avail so far.
I guess things will be much easier when SFML, and Thor in the current case, is officially packaged in various Linux distributions.

If anyone using Linux has a working solution, or is able to make the game work out of the box thanks to a different context, please report! :)
Working on a Tic-tac-toe game

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 11:35:50 am »
I guess things will be much easier when SFML, and Thor in the current case, is officially packaged in various Linux distributions.
This is still not a solution when you link to Git revisions between official releases. In this particular case I modified a part of SFML, which makes it even more difficult... So I simply ship the required runtime libraries. But this part works fine so far.

I have glibc v2.13 installed: libc.so.6 -> libc-2.13.so

It looks like it will be difficult to work around this issue, as this library is very sensible. I have searched for a solution, to no avail so far.
It looks like you have an older C standard library, would it be possible to update it via package manager or www.gnu.org/software/libc? I don't know if it makes sense when I ship the runtime libraries in Zloxx -- but I could think about a separate package, similar to the MSVC redistributables.

If anyone using Linux has a working solution, or is able to make the game work out of the box thanks to a different context, please report! :)
Yes, I would like to hear that, too :)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2013, 01:47:57 pm »
As stupid as it may sound : WINE with installed msvc10 runtime lib using winetricks works out of the box :-X (kinda, since you need to get WINE, winetricks and install msvc10 lib, but I did that long ago to play the Windows Zloxx so now for me was out of the box :P). Just shaders don't work but that's because of my card(GL 2.1, GLSL 1.2 max):
Failed to compile fragment shader:
0:1(10): error: The compatibility profile is not supported.

0:1(10): error: GLSL 1.50 is not supported. Supported versions are: 1.10, 1.20, and 1.00 ES
I'd try to check/edit them but files are put into custom container and obfuscated à la Microsoft. :-X
WINE didn't cause trouble in the past shaderwise, if they failed under WINE they would fail natively too because of some gl(sl) quirk that varies between implementations or too low version.
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

Oldie

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 10:00:41 pm »
This is still not a solution when you link to Git revisions between official releases. In this particular case I modified a part of SFML, which makes it even more difficult... So I simply ship the required runtime libraries. But this part works fine so far.

Agreed and agreed.

It looks like you have an older C standard library, would it be possible to update it via package manager or www.gnu.org/software/libc? I don't know if it makes sense when I ship the runtime libraries in Zloxx -- but I could think about a separate package, similar to the MSVC redistributables.

Well, I am currently using Debian stable, which is Wheezy. This version has libc6 v2.13: http://packages.debian.org/stable/libs/libc6.
Using Debian testing, which is Jessie, would provide me with libc6 v2.17: http://packages.debian.org/testing/libs/libc6. Maybe v2.17 works for any client requiring any older version, like in our case?
Also the URL you mention seems to provide sources only, not binaries, which is not convenient. All the more as this library is huge!

I may consider switching to Debian testing for both desktop and development if I feel too much far behind with Debian stable. But I would not mess with libc6 (GNU C library) on my PC: it is a centerpiece of the system, and there is a reason why we are given a rather old version.

As for setting up Wine... I would rather not jump into such headache unless for a critical software. :P

But nevermind, my case is not important, and others on Linux may find a way to make your game work easily. It is true that porting to Linux usually needs extra effort. ;)

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 11:40:34 pm »
FRex, I'll see if I can lower the shader requirements by using even more deprecated functions :D

Oldie, I can create a package with some .so files. But I'm not sure which ones differ from g++ version to version, and for which ones I'm safe to assume the user has them... ldd gives me, among others: libc, libgcc_s, libm, libstdc++ (lsof -P -T -p <process_id>, which tests at runtime, yields even more .so files). Unless anybody knows directly which files to redistribute, I'll just guess and choose the four mentioned ones ;)

Edit: Can you try if you get Zloxx to run with the files in here?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 12:07:08 am by Nexus »
SFML Game Development:

Oldie

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2013, 01:00:40 am »
I copied the 4 library binaries you have provided into the Runtime directory, and this time the game can be launched! :) I am able to start a game and play, and the music is on.
I cannot say more than that because I am stucked in the middle of the first level.

Anyway, thanks for the game! :D

AlexAUT

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2013, 11:15:37 am »
Game works fine under Ubuntu 13.04 64bit. But the first level is impossible  :(

AlexAUT

Ixrec

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2013, 11:56:21 am »
Since I see multiple people saying they're stuck on the first level I actually tried it myself.

The only part of the first level that came close to giving me trouble was the jump after the sign saying you can vary jump height by how long you hold F.  I can make the jump, but it feels unreliable because (as far as I can tell) a jump of lower height also doesn't last as long, so it's very easy to jump too low or too high.  It's certainly not as trivial/sharp/intuitive/whatever as "tap F instead of hold F for this particular jump" which I think is what you wanted.  I assume this is where people are getting stuck.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2013, 12:09:43 pm »
Glad to hear it works on Linux :)

I didn't expect Level 1-1 to be so challenging. But the part mentioned by Ixrec (see attachment) is the only difficult one, and it's also right before the end of the level. It may take some trial and error until you get the correct jump height, but I want to give a feeling about how high you jump depending on the duration you press F, since this is an important gameplay aspect in later levels.

And the game is certainly challenging in some parts, don't expect to complete everything in the first try. From people that have already played the game, I know that the labyrinth in level 1-3 can be particularly frustrating, since the spikes hide in every corner. It sometimes requires a really careful and tactical approach rather than a speedrun ;)

Anyway, thanks a lot for trying the game! Don't give up too soon :D
SFML Game Development:

Ixrec

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2013, 12:15:21 pm »
I did levels 2 and 3 while I was at it and I didn't have much trouble, though I did end up dying a couple times.  The labyrinth was actually no problem at all.  Most of my damage came from arrows I wasn't keeping track of (which was a bit lazy on my part, I'm sure I could get through unscathed if I tried).

For overall gameplay design my main criticism would be that the weapon system seems sort of pointless since I can jump on all the enemies anyway.  Also, instead of having separate keys for every weapon type (which I'll probably never remember), why not just have one "fire" button and use number keys to select between weapons we have ammo for?

And of course: Why is the jump key F instead of space bar?

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2013, 12:35:23 pm »
I did levels 2 and 3 while I was at it and I didn't have much trouble, though I did end up dying a couple times.  The labyrinth was actually no problem at all.  Most of my damage came from arrows I wasn't keeping track of (which was a bit lazy on my part, I'm sure I could get through unscathed if I tried).
Okay, good to know it's doable :)

For overall gameplay design my main criticism would be that the weapon system seems sort of pointless since I can jump on all the enemies anyway.
This is true for early levels, but later you'll encounter enemies with spikes on which you can't jump, or enemies that fire at you and are out of range, or simply too many enemies at once to fight them only by jumping (in particular when they jump themselves).

Also, instead of having separate keys for every weapon type (which I'll probably never remember), why not just have one "fire" button and use number keys to select between weapons we have ammo for?

And of course: Why is the jump key F instead of space bar?
I think it's more tedious to cycle through the weapons until you get the correct one, especially when you have to react fast.

The key binding is simple: The keys for jumping, rockets, rolling bombs and mines are next to each other on the keyboard (in this order). The more right a key is on the keyboard, the more often you'll use it. By the way, if you don't remember the keys, all currently possible assignments are listed in the pause menu (P key). When using space for jumping, you have to search for the other keys when you need them, while for F they're directly left of it. The F key itself usually has a little "elevation" on it, so you should find it quickly... You're right that space is kind of standard, but do you think it would be more intuitive for Zloxx II? Maybe play a while to experiment with different situations...
SFML Game Development:

Ixrec

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2013, 09:18:02 pm »
I guess I'll have to take your word that the weapons become useful later, so I can't really comment on most of that yet, but I can say it's not difficult at all to hit the space bar with your thumb while keeping your fingers on wasd.  Many, many games expect you to do just that.  And you can always have both F and space bar be jump keys.

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2013, 09:26:30 pm »
I play tested this some (1-1, 1-2, and 1-3 are all complete), good job with it :D In 1-1 don't remove that gap, if people can't jump it then there will be no way to complete the other levels  ;)

I think customizable keybinds would solve everyone's problems with the 'f' vs 'space' for jumping. I personally played it with my right hand on the arrow keys and with my left hand on 'f'.

I know before you didn't want to change the 'up' arrow button to jump because that is used to climb ropes. But I think a good approach here would be to allow 'up' arrow to jump (of course keep 'f' or 'space' for jumping also) when not on a rope. Because several times I caught myself pressing 'up' and nothing would happen  ???

Overall I like it so far, keep up the good work.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 09:29:29 pm by zsbzsb »
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

Ixrec

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2013, 09:30:33 pm »
Actually Zloxx can jump while on a rope, and I found this was necessary to get certain coins, so that's not an option.

Not that the bindings are a big deal anyway.  I just wanted to ask because F is such a bizarre choice.

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2013, 09:37:30 pm »
Actually Zloxx can jump while on a rope, and I found this was necessary to get certain coins, so that's not an option.

I understand that, that is why 'up' arrow should only jump when off a rope and should climb up when on a rope. Jumping while on a rope would still be achieved using the other default jump key.

Or maybe I am just spoiled on the way mario jumps/climbs with the same key  ::)  It would sure make jumping and grabbing a rope to be much easier if it could all happen with a single key.
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor