Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: I forgot to introduce myself here  (Read 3455 times)

TheSilverWebsurfer

• View Profile
I forgot to introduce myself here
« on: September 03, 2012, 07:11:57 pm »
Hi everyone!

I already introduced myself on the french part of this forum (yes, I'm a damned frog-eater ^^ ), but I didn't do it here.

Actually, I have a pretty crazy objective:
I want to create a video game and sell it.

Well, I'm quite a beginner in C++ and SFML programming, but I'm creating graphisms for a long time, and sounds and music for a year.

Of course, I'm a huge video-games fan, and my concept is (for now) still never-seen, so I think you will understand that I won't tell you more than "a mix between puzzle-game and tower defense".

I know that's quite usual to see a guy coming here and saying "I want to create a video-game", but... well, I will try as hard as possible!

masskiller

• Pointers to Functions rock!
    • MSN Messenger - kyogre_jb@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I forgot to introduce myself here
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 10:58:04 pm »
Pretty much like myself, excepting I don't expect to commercialize my first game. For now I am doing everything including art and music on my own and trying to make a bullet hell game with some RPG and puzzle characteristics.

Though I am quite new myself, welcome to the forums.
Programmer, Artist, Composer and Storyline/Script Writer of "Origin of Magic". If all goes well this could turn into a commercial project!

Finally back into the programming world!

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 02:31:48 am »
Can't say I agree that is never-seen, but I like your motivation, i'd love to be updated on your progress!

Cheers and good luck! :)

TheSilverWebsurfer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 10:39:30 am »
Thank you !

Well, to be exact, I made a game with a friend, but only my part was done.
The game is working, but is not completely done.
He was the coder, so as my job was finished, I found what I had to do: learning programmation.
4 months ago, I started C, then C++ and SFML, and for a week, I started a new game.

So that's "my" first game.

And I agree with you DevilWithin, nobody can say "I know all games", but well, I'm pretty confident that my idea is for now unique, and could be attractive if everything is as I imagined.

I'll post here my progresses, but I don't think I'll post screenshots, to avoid any idea to be stolen.
For now on, half of the graphisms part is done, I just started coding, and music and sounds are not even begun.

mateandmetal

• The bird is the word
    • View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 12:34:07 am »
Hi TheSilverWebsurfer

I think you should start with a very basic, non commercial game. Programming requires reading a lot of theory, and a lot of practice. You will find more help in specialized forums like GameDev.

welcome and good luck!  :)
- Mate (beverage) addict
- Heavy metal addict _lml
- SFML 2 addict
- My first (and free) game: BichingISH!

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 02:15:23 am »
When the game concept is in imagination, IT IS LIKELY that it would be fun in practice, but there are two problems, big ones.

First, the essence of your tought will fade away and your motivation will oscilate with time, and the time between the first concept in your mind to an actual playable game will be probably a huge gap. It can and will turn your initial idea worse if you are not careful.

The second, and even worse, no matter how powerful is your brain, you will notice that your imaginated concept still lacks a LOT of crucial details, mandatory to have an interesting gameplay. The process of thinking all the details and writing them out, or just working on them as you go, will always rip of initial features and add new ones, so the essence of the idea may be lost too.

But you always must be highly motivated, if you want a good product. Try!

TheSilverWebsurfer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 01:27:14 am »
I totally agree with both of you.

That's why I thought a lot about my game, and wrote every details.
Then, I read this text back, thought about it again, and searched what could be improved, what should be changed, etc...
From gameplay to graphics, music or storyboard.

And as I said, I'm a great videogame fan.
That doesn't just mean I have a lot of game...
I also finished a lot of game, analyzed them, wrote about what was great, what was worse, what could be improved...
For years, I thought about what should be made in games to enhance fun.

I cant' assure that I'll go to the end, but I'll make all my best to do it!

And if I finish it, you'll sure know about it! ;)

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 01:01:06 pm »
Don't forget to share updates with the folks, in any form, because noone is going to steal anything , and all popularity you can get will be good for you : )

TheSilverWebsurfer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 04:58:20 pm »
Yeah, you're right.

Going to post in the SFML Project as soon as I've something interesting to show. ^^

I'll keep this project true name and few details secrets though, cause finding a name was pretty hard, and I'm a careful guy...
But I will show the most I can.

Thanks! ;)

anything