Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Strange window behavior under Linux  (Read 1428 times)

N_K

• View Profile
Strange window behavior under Linux
« on: September 15, 2012, 02:55:42 am »
Hi all,

I was testing SFML2 under Linux (Ubuntu 12.04.1 64-bit) in VirtualBox, and I noticed something strange.

The test app was nothing specific, it was the code from the documentation. But when I moved the window, I noticed that the content of the window remains at the place where the window originally was (and kept on updating), while the window itself displayed a part of the desktop background. When I released the mouse button and dropped the window, everything was fine again.

Another thing I noticed is that while the app was running, and I opened an other window (or restored a minimized one), the content of the SFML window (just the content, not the window frame/titlebar) was always on top, blocking the view of the other, supposedly overlapping window(s).

Is this happened because of the virtual machine? The few other OpenGL apps I've tested ran fine, both in fullscreen and windowed mode.

EDIT: According to a few posts on the VirtualBox forum, similar behaviour has been observed under older versions of VirtualBox, but it has been supposedly fixed about a year ago. But since the problem they've described is extremely similiar to this one (although they didn't mention the window drag glitch), it would be the best if someone could test this on a real system. Or, if nobody does, I'm planning to replace win7 with Ubuntu 12.04 next week, so I'll check it out.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 05:39:48 am by N_K »

texus

• View Profile
    • TGUI
    • Email
Re: Strange window behavior under Linux
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 10:33:03 am »
It is caused by VirtualBox. It works perfectly on Ubuntu 12.04.
I even have a similar issue when I run windows in VirtualBox.
TGUI: C++ SFML GUI

N_K

• View Profile
Re: Strange window behavior under Linux
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 04:07:31 pm »
It is caused by VirtualBox.

Indeed, I recently had access to a real machine running the same Ubuntu version, so I tested the same app, and it worked absolutely fine. Thank you.