Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [Solved]Possible to reuse pixels?  (Read 4941 times)

Nekroze

• View Profile
Re: [Solved]Possible to reuse pixels?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 05:31:46 am »
I don't know the normal way of figuring out of buffering and culling chunks so here is what i do at the moment:

Firstly i get the position of the current chunk that the center screen pixel is in, each chunk has its own global coordinate (they also store a screen coordinate because i move the world around the player not the player around the world (not sure if that's normal bu it has worked well so far)) then i use that to make a sfIntRect based on the chunk load range i am currently using (radius of chunks to be pre-loaded around the center current chunk. then i loop over the x and y of positions within that fsIntRect and if those coordinates in my hashmap of chunks are null or not already loaded then i add the coordinates to a list of chunks to be loaded in (one chunk is created from this lists coordinates per frame, loading all required chunks as they were found to be needed caused a slight stutter when it did so all at once) then i loop over each chunk currently in the hashmap of chunks and use its coordinate/key to use the sfIntRect contains function, if it is false then i add that to a list to be unloaded same as the loading list works pretty much.

Using this so far has been pretty good and fast for me but i don't know why if your tiles are 32x32 you would need 4 million of them, i suppose zooming out enough could warrant that, in which case you would just have to change the load range according to the zoom level... interesting thought.

Also i would like more details about changing the vertex array accordingly as well, as far as i can see doing the vertex array in chunks is a solid idea. and i don't see why it couldn't be used for pseudo infinite worlds.

Brodal

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: [Solved]Possible to reuse pixels?
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 10:38:24 am »
The reason for 4 million tiles is cause I do not know exactly how big our designers are planning to make the map. And because if it can manage that many tiles or even more then it shouldn't be a problem when more stuff is added into the game. I figured out a better way to cull chunks that has the complexity O(1) instead of O(N) which mine has now, taking advantage of the constant time random access takes. Instead of iterating anything at all I just keep my chunks sorted and divide the cameras current position by the size of a chunk. I then store this number in an int to truncate it ( if value after division is 1.3245 it is truncated to 1, or if value is 13.5323 U get 13 ). Then I multiply this int by the size of a chunk to get an integer value which is also the index in the vector ( when the vector is sorted ) for the chunk I'm in. This way culling of chunks should not be affected by the the number of chunks that the vector contains. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong :)

anything