Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Kroniax available in the Play store!  (Read 85634 times)

AlexAUT

• View Profile
Kroniax available in the Play store!
« on: February 27, 2013, 04:28:47 pm »
Hy,

It's now available in the Play Store: Link

i want to present my current Project Kroniax.

Its some kind of a sidescroller. The target is to maneuver the ship through the level without touching the walls. You can steer up your ship by pressing the spacebar.

Preview video (thanks to eXpl0it3r) feel free to subscribe and like the video. It outdated but it still shows the core elements of the game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjJIxPc6TZQ

Gamemodes:

*The arcade mode. If you get through a level you will unlock another map... (currently there are 7levels). In this mode the speed and gravitiy will be change by the game itself!

*Mutliplayer. In this mode you can control the Speed of the Ship yourself by pressing the left or right arrow key. But keep in mind that you can't control the gravity! Try to get to the finish as fast as possible to get a good time. You can compare your time by pressing tab with the other players on the server. With " T " you can open the chat and talk about routes and stuff  8) . After the end of each level you will see a global ranking (in development)

Download:

It's now available in the Play Store: Link

Credits:

Support me on indieDB:

AlexAUT
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 07:43:48 pm by AlexAUT »

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Re: Kroniax - A game of skill
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 04:51:41 pm »
Cool idea! And the music matches the genre nicely! It's also quickly difficult, I didn't get very far ;)

The game crashes when loading a non-existent custom map. Also, this is the kind of game one can polish endlessly (animations, particles, shaders, random-generated maps, ...). But I would certainly understand if you planned another project :)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 05:14:16 pm »
Gave it a try and loved the gameplay!! you should improve this because it will make a very nice game!! Addicting! :D

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
AW: Kroniax - A game of skill
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 05:43:09 pm »
Yep, I like the mechanics!
Nearly missed my train, it's that addictive! ;)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

AlexAUT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 06:43:09 pm »
Thanks for the good feedback, it really motivates me to improve the game.

@Nexus, yeah thats true, first i want to work on my ToDo-list and then implement features like random generated maps etc.

@Grimshaw, i will try my best.

@eXploiter, i´m not liable for missed trains

Updated the first Post
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:27:19 pm by AlexAUT »

Haze

• View Profile
    • Github Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 09:44:46 pm »
Nicely done and very addictive!
Quite hard too, couldn't get past level 1 despite many attempts. Maybe it needs some balance?

Some suggestions:
- Add keyboard bindings (up, down, return) to your GUI. I find it very annoying to grab my mouse just to click the replay button.
- Maybe a progress bar to display player's progression in the current level.

Also, how did you handle "pixel-perfect" collisions with a rotated shape?
Since the tiles are just squares and the player just a triangle, did you simply compute line intersections?

AlexAUT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 12:20:11 am »
Thanks for your feedback,

yes the level is too hard i know, tomorrow (about 20:00) i will upload a new version where you have to start with lvl1 (Tutorial), and unlock the next level and so on, currently i have 5Levels created. Your progress will be saved.

I also reworked/added a lot of things, a messagebox comes up when you hit the wall or reach the finish and you can restart the game by pressing "r". You can change the volume of the music. I made a tutorial about the mapeditor and the settingseditor(new). I implemented a new gamemode called "Time challenge", every map has its own ship speeds and downforces... And much more is on my ToDo-List: Checkpoints, speedUps...

Currently i am really motivated to improve the game because of all the good feddback.

The "pixel-perfect" collision is simply a collision between a point and a rectangle, i have 3vertices for my ship, i calculate the position/rotation with the position and velocity vector. And then test if the points/edges intersects with a collision rectangle. For performance, i only check rects that share the x-coordinates with one point.

btw the next version will include the font for the mapeditor...xD
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 07:06:33 pm by AlexAUT »

AlexAUT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 08:40:37 pm »
So, version 0.2 is uploaded.

Changes:
  • Arcademode implemented, now you can unlock 5levels, more maps will follow, the 5th (4th) map is only a placeholder
  • Added some messageboxes
  • Added options
  • Added a new gamemode "Speed challenge"
  • Window name shows the level progress
  • Gametime

About the new gamemode, only the custommap "test" uses this mode, you can change the speed with the left and right arrow key. It will be usefull when i implement a online highscore...

Direct link: http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/94636975/file.html

Haze

• View Profile
    • Github Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 10:15:10 pm »
The "pixel-perfect" collision is simply a collision between a point and a rectangle, i have 3vertices for my ship, i calculate the position/rotation with the position and velocity vector. And then test if the points/edges intersects with a collision rectangle. For performance, i only check rects that share the x-coordinates witch one point.
Ok I got it, indeed it's a much better way to check the collisions.

Added some messageboxes
I've found a bug in your modal dialogs: you can press the "R" hotkey to replay the level, but once you've pressed it, the next displayed modal dialogs won't work, they're closed as soon as they open and you cannot choose an answer.
Also, the next level should be automatically unlocked if the player clears the current one, because if he accidentally clicks "Replay" the next level is still locked and he has to re-do the whole level.

Window name shows the level progress
That's quite a curious and original place to display it! :D

Nice to see an update already, good luck with your project!

AlexAUT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 11:25:11 pm »
Thanks for your bugreport.

I´m currently reworking the "messageBoxes", there are very old(early 2012 i think), the sames goes for the gui.

Next version will be released Wednesday/Thursday with some bugfixes, speedUps and gravitationUps to make the gameplay more dynamically, and maybe the online highscore for "speed challenges" will be inplemented.

btw i added a Youtubevideo about the level editor  to the first post.

Haikarainen

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 12:29:12 pm »
Holy crap.. My first reaction to the video was pretty doubtful. But when I actually tested it, holy crap this game is funny!

Pros:
 * The slow responses on input and game-dynamics is what really makes this game! You kind of make the same mistakes as when you are "drifting", aka driving a car with very little traction.(in a sense that is is rather easy to under/over-compensate movements, as it is rather easy to over/understeer a car)
 * Really great balance on the maps, love how thrilling the maps can be in some areas!
 * Great music

Cons:
 * Pretty buggy - As I am typing this for example, the level keeps restarting in the background (R-presses). Make sure the window has focus!
 * Extremly unpolished - but I get that this is a pretty early release am I right?

All in all, great work, keep working on it!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:27:43 pm by Haikarainen »

AlexAUT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 04:06:46 pm »
Hy, thank for your feedback,

first of all Yes maybe it was a bit early to release it. But i wanted to get some feedback about the game itself. (Version 0.2 :o)

* The slow responses on input and game-dynamics is what really makes this game! You kind of make the same mistakes as when you are "drifting", aka driving a car with very little traction.(in a sense that is is rather easy to under/over-compensate movements, as it is rather easy to over/understeer a car)

In the new version i will release it today about 19:00-20:00 the movement is more dynamically, i added SpeedUp/Down and "Gravitation"Up and Downs. I personally love it... ;D

* Really great balance on the maps, love how thrilling the maps can be in some areas!
 * Great music

There are two songs more now and i had to rework the maps because i changed the resolution to make more paths possible

Cons:
 * Pretty buggy - As I am typing this for example, the level keeps restarting in the background (R-presses). Make sure the window has focus!

The issue with the windowfocus will be fixed and much more i will post the Patchnotes later 8).

AlexAUT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 07:48:38 pm »
Version 0.3 uploaded:  ;D

Improvments:

*Change the resolution from 600/300 to 800/450 (16:9). To make multiple paths through a level possible.
*Because of the new resolution i created new maps + tutorial (atm there are 4Maps finished, Level5 is a old map)
*Added SpeedUps SpeedDowns and GravitationUps, GravitationDowns.
*Updated Map Editor and Settings Editor (i will upload a new Youtubevideo tonight)
*Better movement. It´s a bit faster
*Now the window wont resize if you resize it  ;)
*Several bugfixes
*Change the collision detection, now its pixel-perfect
*Instead of waiting 3seconds now you have to press space to start the game

Enjoy the new version and please report bugs.  :)

Direct download Link: http://www17.zippyshare.com/v/53962531/file.html

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 11:44:06 pm »
Enjoy the new version and please report bugs.  :)
I really do enjoy it and since I like it so much and do some silly Let's Play from time to time, I made a Kroniax LP. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QAX35p6_jE

So it seems I'll have to keep pounding on that 5th level... ;)
Since I needed a logo for my intro I quickly smashed something together and added it in the attachment if for some strange reasons you'd wanted to use it.

The only 'bug' I found is, that it can sometimes happen if you press space when a dialog is shown, that the focus jumps to the bigger window, hidding the dialog and it nearly seems as if the game has crashed, but it's just unresponsive since there's a dialog open.
Personally I wouldn't use a second window, it doesn't look very nice and it has the describe issue and probably others.

In connection with that, the most annoying thing are actually the dialogs and that one can only navigate through them with the mouse, which forces me to constantly grab the mouse. Also if I select a level it's quite obvious I want to play it, the confirmation dialog is just annoying. You should show the difficulty and other info directly when selecting it, rather than in that dialog.

Anyways, thanks for the great game and keep up the nice work! :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 11:51:47 pm by eXpl0it3r »
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

AlexAUT

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 05:01:10 pm »
Thanks for your feedback, compliments and the great video  ;D

In connection with that, the most annoying thing are actually the dialogs and that one can only navigate through them with the mouse, which forces me to constantly grab the mouse. Also if I select a level it's quite obvious I want to play it, the confirmation dialog is just annoying. You should show the difficulty and other info directly when selecting it, rather than in that dialog.

In the next version (saturday or sunday) i will implement the new gui (better looking), then you can use your keyboard to navigate through the menu. I replaced all the messageBoxes with ingame (in the mainwindow) dialogs.

And i try to complete 10Levels (I added a level between 3 and 4 to make the skilljump a bit smaller). And finally I will remove "level5" from the arcademode...

anything