Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Platformer Editor (testing vector collision detection)  (Read 5826 times)

AFS

• View Profile
Platformer Editor (testing vector collision detection)
« on: March 15, 2013, 09:04:07 pm »
Hi.

I made a little app to test collission detection using vectors, that is, placing two of them on the map and joining them, forming a line. The objects will react to that line.

Here's a video for a quick demostration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9AFVGTaNNg

Here's the download link if you want to test it, though it may be buggy. Beware!
http://www.mediafire.com/?5ho3zzi0nknnknp

(Walls are not implemented yet, so avoid placing them!)

I made this because I want to create a platformer of course, but I was thinking about a more flexible way of handling collision (from the game maker's point of view) instead of using a grid or bounding boxes.

I loved the results, but I noticed that the main drawback is that placing the nodes and joining them can become a little tedious, as you need to do it manually every time. Still, it shouldn't be hard to make that the editor place the nodes automatically as you put a background tile.

So, what do you think? Is it worth it to use this type of collision or you prefer other types? I'm very ignorant regarding collision, and I want to see what are my options.

Also, what do you think about the editor? Any suggestions are welcome.

Finally, if you make a map with your own graphics and all, please share it, I would definitely want see it :P

Cheers.

cristaloleg

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Platformer Editor (testing vector collision detection)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 02:04:40 pm »
Is it open source?

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 02:26:22 pm »
Looks good! Do you use a well-known technique for the collision, or have you implemented your own ideas?

For the editor, I think it would be user-friendly if one could place a node that directly connects to the last one. What you could also have are pre-defined sprites that already have a corresponding set of lines to define their shape.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

santiaboy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 10:54:12 pm »
Looks good! For what I saw, you'd benefit from having a grid and a "snap to grid" function.
Assets are really nice, too 8)

detergente

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 02:27:01 am »
Nice done. I did something similar in VB.net but not that complex, I needed something to design the maps for my super-basic c++ game I am doing so I did this... Basically it's a tile-painting program, then I export the "map" as a string that has every tile represented with a number that I can recognise in the game. Yeah... I'm a shame for the programmer's comunity, but I'm ok with that, I'll learn someday...

anything