Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Technoport  (Read 5069 times)

The Terminator

• Windows and Mac C++ Developer
    • View Profile
Technoport
« on: April 27, 2013, 10:49:00 pm »
Hi there, I wanted to unveil a project I've been working on this past week with the help of two of my friends. This game (Technoport) was designed to look futuristic and neon-y. It's aesthetics are very similar to the movie Tron :P. There's still a lot to be done, and I will be working on it for quite a while. I combined a lot of different technologies with the game, including a small engine I wrote that's based off of exploiter's SmallGameEngine. The engine is heavily modified by me to suit my needs.

Gameplay:
The point of the game is to collect orbs in order to stay alive, get points, and get coins. Coins will allow you to better your character with thing such as faster teleport speeds, less orb hungry, different colors, etc. In order to teleport, your mouse pointer must be over a platform then you must press T.

Features implemented so far:
All the menu stuff
Save/load settings to file
Save/load player to file
Teleportation

To do:
Finish up graphics
Add orbs and coins
Add store

The crew:
Me: Programmer
Daniel: Head artist
Jose: Artist and gameplay designer

To-do:
Music
Better player graphic. (I made the player graphic as a temporary test as you can probably tell, and I'm a programmer not an artist. Daniel is working on a new one.)
Finish up main mechanics such as orbs

Credits:
The crew :P
Exploiter for his wonderful original engine :D
Nexus for Thor
Laurent for the best 2D graphics lib out there <3

Executable and all required .dlls:
http://www.mediafire.com/?dsxa95kxixgjpap

Code (Please do not steal :P):
https://github.com/TheTerminator1337/Technoport

Thanks for checking out my project! Do not hesitate to make suggestions about my code, the whole point of the making of this game was to learn and to have fun :).

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 12:47:08 am by The Terminator »
Current Projects:
Technoport

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Re: Technoport
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 11:05:39 pm »
I still don't get why people never post screenshots on their project presentation... :-\
Then again one can't really do anything. Pressed all keys and clicked everywhere, but I wasn't able to "teleport". ;D

The idea sounds interesting and I certainly hope you'll advance it a bit further!

If you'd add a license, we're legally not allowed to do so. Then again, isn't the idea of making the source code available to the public, so others can take some coding ideas from it (given the code meets an enough high standard)? ;)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

The Terminator

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 11:15:04 pm »
I still don't get why people never post screenshots on their project presentation... :-\
Then again one can't really do anything. Pressed all keys and clicked everywhere, but I wasn't able to "teleport". ;D

The idea sounds interesting and I certainly hope you'll advance it a bit further!

If you'd add a license, we're legally not allowed to do so. Then again, isn't the idea of making the source code available to the public, so others can take some coding ideas from it (given the code meets an enough high standard)? ;)

Thanks for checking it out! I think you're problem is how I set it up to teleport. I added it in the github readme, but not in the description here. To teleport, the mouse pointer must be over a platform then you press T. I did that to add a little bit of a challenge. When I'm talking about "stealing" I mean taking it without giving credit, etc. I don't care if someone modifies my engine for their game, I'd just appreciate some credit. Is there some sort of license for that?
Current Projects:
Technoport

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 11:17:48 pm »
MIT License requires credit but allows anyone to do almost anything except steal code and remove copyright notices from it.
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

The Terminator

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 11:21:36 pm »
Can I just put the license into the github readme or do I have to put it in each source file?
Current Projects:
Technoport

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 11:52:58 pm »
I guess both if you really care about it, libs and all usually do it that way(SFML has full terms in each file, Irrlicht puts reference line to 'irrlicht.h' etc.). On my two repos I put it just in readme because it's zlib anyway and the code is simple and not that wonderful or mindblowing so I don't really care.
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 02:18:34 pm »
Thanks for posting this. I just downloaded your source code and started working on my own game out of your idea and code. Hope you don't mind :)

The Terminator

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 02:53:54 pm »
Thanks for posting this. I just downloaded your source code and started working on my own game out of your idea and code. Hope you don't mind :)

Not at all, glad you're making use of it. I'd appreciate any suggestions or bug reports while you're using the code.
Current Projects:
Technoport

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 05:10:30 pm »
Damn I was trying to troll you by effectively stealing your code and idea, and you didn't even care!!
Hehe

Seriously, good work! :D

The Terminator

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 10:22:49 pm »
New version: v1.1

Features were put into the github page, along with the new source code. The project is now protected under the MIT license.

Executable:
http://www.mediafire.com/?jknzaifi46sky5i
Current Projects:
Technoport

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 08:27:01 am »
Some more words on licensing: If your work does not include a license, then it's protected by your country's copyright law (which is mostly: Nobody is allowed to copy, distribute, modify etc.; using it is in most cases allowed, because you published it at a public website, so that might be your goal). Some people tend to forget this and instead think that if they don't include a license, people can steal their work.

If you want to really protect the freedom of your code, consider using the GNU GPL. Unfortunately that license got less popular in the last few months, but it's a great license for ensuring that your source code will always stay free, and that greedy people don't take it, use and modify it without sharing the results. :)

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 11:03:43 am »
If you want to really protect the freedom of your code, consider using the GNU GPL.
In other words, "freedom" means you essentially force everyone to use the same license as you and to publish the complete source code, even the parts that are totally unrelated to your own code. This should also be mentioned, in this regard it is not so surprising that the GPL has steadily lost popularity.

In fact it's simple: If you don't want your code to be stolen, make it closed-source.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

The Terminator

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 01:06:34 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys. I want to keep it open source, it's not that big of a deal. I just don't want anybody claiming it to be their own.
Current Projects:
Technoport