Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Looking for 2D, non-native Widget-Framework  (Read 2658 times)

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
Looking for 2D, non-native Widget-Framework
« on: June 15, 2013, 02:12:41 pm »
Hey guys,

until know I was working with SDL, because I was focused on learning basics. By the time I built some stuff using SDL which is easily provided by SFML (e.g. Sprite class). Now I'm going to migrate my game project SFML 2.0, so I hope to make my code clearer, faster and even more powerful, because SFML seems to be a well-developed, "mighty" framework :)

I was writing some own widget classes based on SDL, yet. The main purpose of this process was learning and understanding how GUIs might work. I think I just got it, but my current solution seems "non-modern" to me. And because I am going to use SFML now, I am looking for some kind of framework providing widget classes (buttons, listboxes etc.) using SFML. I don't know "where to start". Googleing for "sfml widget library" offers me a huge set of libraries.

Can you advise such a widget library? I am looking for plain 2D widgets based on graphics. That meens I don't want to get "native styled" widgets (referring to the systems main gui toolkit). So I don't know where to start. Working "through" a huge set of possibilities seems too much work, so I am asking for some tips based on your exprience :)

By the way: If you ask yourself "what's that game project this guy is talking about": it's going to be a multiplayer hack'n'slay roleplaying game, based on a fixed isometric perspective like Diablo 1/2.

Because I am new to this forum, I maybe postet this in the wrong sub-section. In this case I apologize  ;)

King regards
Glocke
Current project: Racod's Lair - Rogue-inspired Coop Action RPG

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: Looking for 2D, non-native Widget-Framework
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 02:16:06 pm »
Hi and welcome :)

The most popular GUI libraries for SFML are SFGUI and TGUI (you should find them easily on this forum). You should also be able to use any GUI library based on OpenGL.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 02:25:47 pm »
Wow, legendary Laurent himself  8)

Thanks for the welcome :D And thanks for the two possiblities. I will try both :)

Kind regards
Glocke

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 09:58:27 pm »
Hi and welcome :)

The most popular GUI libraries for SFML are SFGUI and TGUI (you should find them easily on this forum). You should also be able to use any GUI library based on OpenGL.

Unfortunatly, the current TGUI version cannot be built on my system. Using the install.sh causes several compiling errors. I don't want to fix them all by myself - this would take a long time (working into the code and fixing the mistakes). My try to build SFGUI via cmake caused cmake to stop, because it cannot find my SFML installation.

I installed SFML 2.0 from a PPA, because there is no SFML 2.0 package in the repository for Ubuntu 12.04. The PPA I am using is https://launchpad.net/~sonkun/+archive/sfml/+index?field.series_filter=precise

So, I don't know what to do, next :D Focusing on the API-style I most like the SFGUI-style, yet. Does anybody has an advice? Building an own widget framework might avoid all these problems, but won't be so great at all :D

I was also looking for some OpenGL-based frameworks. But they are based on SDL or an entire engine like Ogre3D - I did not found anything else, yet :(

Kind regards
Glocke

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 10:23:30 pm »
Unfortunatly, the current TGUI version cannot be built on my system. Using the install.sh causes several compiling errors. I don't want to fix them all by myself - this would take a long time (working into the code and fixing the mistakes). My try to build SFGUI via cmake caused cmake to stop, because it cannot find my SFML installation.
Don't give up too fast, these problems seem to be easy to solve. However there are better places for requesting help; SFGUI and TGUI have their own website, and their own thread on this forum.

I was also looking for some OpenGL-based frameworks. But they are based on SDL or an entire engine like Ogre3D - I did not found anything else, yet
CEGUI, Guichan, ...

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 10:48:22 pm »
SFGUI and TGUI have their own website, and their own thread on this forum.
TGUI has it thread locked by texus' request :P
CEGUI, Guichan, ...
librocket, gwen, ...
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 07:55:55 am »
TGUI has it thread locked by texus' request
Which probably means he opened his own forum.

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 11:40:41 am »
Don't give up too fast, these problems seem to be easy to solve. However there are better places for requesting help; SFGUI and TGUI have their own website, and their own thread on this forum.

Okay :)

Texus wrote a PM to me about ja Ubuntu PPA supporting the latest version of SFML (not just the v2.0 RC). So now the SFGUI cmake installation worked. In addition this PPA also support TGUI packages which also work.

So I am going to view both and choose one for my poject. :)

About the OpenGL widget fameworks: You are all right, I don't know why I did not found them -.-' But I'll focus on SFGUI and TGUI first. But thanks to all of you, too!

Kind regards
Glocke