Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML Game Jam  (Read 55964 times)

SuperV1234

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
Re: SFML Game Jam
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2013, 01:09:29 pm »
What about personal utility libraries? I have a lot of libraries that wrap SFML constructs or have non-SFML utils. Not being able to use them would just mean rewrite them from scratch for the jam :P

Lo-X

• View Profile
    • My personal website, with CV, portfolio and projects
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2013, 04:49:52 pm »
Yeah I think we shouldn't forbid personal librairies and perhaps even Thor&co.

I've a personal librairy, if I'm doing the jam but personal librairies are forbidden, what I'll do during the jam is to re-write it... Games will be better if we can focus on gameplay and graphics implementation, rather than on Scene Tree, Screens or logs...

fuerchter

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2013, 10:57:43 am »
Yeah I think we shouldn't forbid personal librairies and perhaps even Thor&co.

I've a personal librairy, if I'm doing the jam but personal librairies are forbidden, what I'll do during the jam is to re-write it... Games will be better if we can focus on gameplay and graphics implementation, rather than on Scene Tree, Screens or logs...

This, we shouldn't restrict it to 100% raw sfml imo

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2013, 05:18:35 pm »
Thought I'd give another little update!

Hopefully the rules will be finalized before the voting for the theme starts. I'll try to post another draft today to get more feedback. While I don't think we'll be able to make everyone happy when it comes to what should/shouldn't be used, I definitely want to get as many people as possible to be happy while still being as fair as possible across the board.

And please don't forget to keep submitting those ideas for themes!

Theme Submission Thread
DSFML - SFML for the D Programming Language.

Lo-X

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2013, 11:45:30 pm »
So,

Any news about when and with what rules ?

Aster

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2013, 01:29:35 pm »
Any news about when and with what rules ?

This was written a week ago or something, not sure if Jebbs plans on using it or not:
http://piratepad.net/ep/pad/view/fWiITKCWJE/GyFhrZshPZ

Montreal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2013, 08:24:29 pm »
I would love to participate in a Game Jam, as I am taking my first baby steps with SFML, it would be great to try and push myself as far as possible with the little stuff I know so far.

Lo-X

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2013, 10:58:42 pm »
I was asking because as soon as there is a fixed date and rules, I can translate it on the fench forum.

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2013, 03:46:02 am »
Hey, Lo-X. Sorry about my not posting anything about it. I've been crazy busy lately. Poor timing, right? Anyways, Aster has been helping me out with some stuff, including:
This was written a week ago or something, not sure if Jebbs plans on using it or not:
http://piratepad.net/ep/pad/view/fWiITKCWJE/GyFhrZshPZ

I think the only thing I was thinking of changing was the time between jams. 3 months might be too close together, but I'd like to hear more feedback on that. Personally, I would probably go with 4, but damn it game jams are fun!

Also, scoring might need to be left out for the first one to give us time to get some kind of system set up to allow the community to score submissions. The dates are still 08/02-08/04. As far as actual start time goes, I think there were suggestions for one, but I'm not picky on that.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2013, 10:48:59 am »
Who is part of the jury ("admins")?

And you didn't mention OpenGL explicitly. In this thread, the general conclusion was not to allow it, since it would then be an OpenGL game contest and not an SFML one.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Lo-X

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2013, 11:41:17 am »
What remains unclear is the policy about contents :

- Must contents (audio, graphics but not fonts/intruments sample) be created during the contest ?
-> If not, can content be get from other sources as long as they are license free ?
- Is it a ONE GUY contest or teams are allowed ?
- Can porting be done after the 72hours as long as sources have been comitted in time ?

A practical question too : how do you plan to make people post their executable and sources ? On a forum thread for executables and MP (+thread if open-source) for sources ?

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2013, 06:10:03 pm »
Who is part of the jury ("admins")?

And you didn't mention OpenGL explicitly. In this thread, the general conclusion was not to allow it, since it would then be an OpenGL game contest and not an SFML one.

Well, if we get some sort of system where the games are judged by the community, then you can ignore the admin part since source code will be available and people can check to make sure SFML was used.

As far as OpenGL goes, I feel like we should be able to allow it. SFML's graphics only allows 2D stuff. It would be silly to not let people use 3D if they want to.

What remains unclear is the policy about contents :

- Must contents (audio, graphics but not fonts/intruments sample) be created during the contest ?
-> If not, can content be get from other sources as long as they are license free ?
Audio and graphics must be created during those 72 hours. I think this is pretty standard for game jams though.
- Is it a ONE GUY contest or teams are allowed ?
It can be done alone, or in a group of two people, but that must be stated when you submit.
- Can porting be done after the 72hours as long as sources have been comitted in time ?
Absolutely!
A practical question too : how do you plan to make people post their executable and sources ? On a forum thread for executables and MP (+thread if open-source) for sources ?
Posting a link to where the sources are is plenty. They can just have it all uploaded to github or something, and then just include a link to their repo.
Executables are a little tricky, but I would be fine with a link to them as well as long as the link contains everything it needs to run.

I am going to make time to make sure we have finalized rules today. So far the only thing that will be left out of this first jam is going to be scoring.

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2013, 06:23:24 pm »
3D games often use SDL even if they don't at all intend on using 2D because it allows 'easy input and window and context creation' and so on. Allowing it could send nice message to people who don't know SFML. And you have to admit that if someone knows OpenGL and can code something really nice and 3D in such short time without problems she is better than people who struggle with just using SFML.Graphics.
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

Lo-X

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2013, 06:43:11 pm »
Thanks Jebbs for the answers =)

I guess the time will be part of your update of today =)

I added everything in this thread to the french forum.

Lo-X

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2013, 08:58:12 am »
No news ? Nothing about the time the jam starts ? Would be nice to know that before friday =)