Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [wip] färg  (Read 11790 times)

Ditto

• View Profile
    • Email
[wip] färg
« on: November 03, 2013, 01:41:55 am »
I want to show you "färg"! It's an arcade-y multiplayer(Up to 5 players!) platform game, inspired by Mega Man, Smash Bros and Meat Boy. It currently features 7 different weapons and 12 maps. Matches tend to become really hectic and screaming at your friends is not uncommon! :D

Features:
Fast paced platformer deathmatch multiplayer
7 different weapons
12 different levels
options to play game on time or guys(extra lives), or both, or none
level editor(kinda complicated to save levels atm, will fix later)

Features coming soon:
Capture the flag games
Sounds
Music (I have an extremely talented friend who is working on it!)
More weapons!
Probably lots more, but lets get this done first ;D

Multiplayer requires gamepads connected to a computer. I hope some people here have 'em connected and try it out! :D

I made a similar version of this game about a year ago in XNA, but this summer I decided to get into C++ and found SFML, so after a couple of smaller projects I decided to rewrite this game again. Working on the smaller projects I've written a bunch of basecode that makes programming a game simpler, stuff like gameloop, input handling and using textures and sound(I've got no sound in färg yet, but the code for it is at least there!).

There is a level editor, but it might need some explanation to use. You can find a directory with all the maps in it, if you edit a map in the editor and save it, you need to copy the "temp" map and rename it, then add it to the "map_list.txt" file to find it in game. This is sloppy as hell but I made it real quick, will probably fix it later ^^

Leave a comment if you any feedback/thoughts/hate/love or something! This is still very much a work in progress, so I'll try and update here with a new build or something once a week or so during development, next up is implementing capture the flag!

Images!

Controls:
on computer: move with arrows, shoot with X, jump with Z and drop weapons with C
on gamepad: move with thumbstick, jump with A, shoot with X and drop weapons with B

Download the game here! (v0.1)
Download the game here! (v0.11)

//Ditto
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 10:00:31 pm by Ditto »

AlexAUT

• View Profile
Re: [wip] färg
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 06:47:08 pm »
Really nice game!

Played it with a friend and we both love you game, after some starting troubles (Maybe you should add some instructions).

Suggestions:
*Networkmode
*Sounds
*Some kind of a singleplayer, vs an AI?
*Maybe increase the jump height a bit?

But all in all its already a very funny game, keep working on it

AlexAUT

Ditto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 07:04:58 pm »
Really nice game!

Played it with a friend and we both love you game, after some starting troubles (Maybe you should add some instructions).

Suggestions:
*Networkmode
*Sounds
*Some kind of a singleplayer, vs an AI?
*Maybe increase the jump height a bit?

But all in all its already a very funny game, keep working on it

AlexAUT

Thanks a lot! :D about your suggestions:
Instructions, I would like to add some instructions, but I kinda like the minimal presentation, so I'll have to think about that. What did you think needs explaining? 
I'd love to add online play, but I don't have that much experience in network programming and it seems pretty complicated, so I'll maybe try it out, but imo this game is meant to be played on a couch with your friends, screaming at each other! 
Sounds are coming, I just haven't got around to it yet!
Singleplayer is actually planned in some way, but I want to make sure the multiplayer is awesome first!
Jump height, eh, nope, I like it as is, though there will be powerups such as jetpacks, eventhough that's probably not what you meant! :D 

AlexAUT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 09:51:17 pm »
Jump height, eh, nope, I like it as is, though there will be powerups such as jetpacks, eventhough that's probably not what you meant!

I found the double-jump = nvm^^

Instructions
Keybindings, how to "join" to the game, that you can fall out of the map... stuff like that, maybe add a "tutorial" game?

AlexAUT

Ditto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 10:34:52 pm »
I found the double-jump = nvm^^
Haha, oh, you can walljump also, and kinda climb walls to get to places : P

Keybindings, how to "join" to the game, that you can fall out of the map... stuff like that, maybe add a "tutorial" game?
keys and that should probably be in there! About the "falling off the map" etc, I really think that is better to just find out on your own, I'd hate to have to explain my whole game in tutorials rather then just make you play it and try things out! As long as the players learns what buttons they should press, I think they can figure stuff out on their own : )

Stauricus

• View Profile
    • A Mafia Graphic Novel
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 07:22:47 pm »
oh, i like it. actually, i like any fight game that reminds me of super smash bros :P

i also miss a singleplayer or online play mode. but keep at it, i'm looking forward for news :)
Visit my game site (and hopefully help funding it? )
Website | IndieDB

Ditto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 09:04:25 pm »
oh, i like it. actually, i like any fight game that reminds me of super smash bros :P

i also miss a singleplayer or online play mode. but keep at it, i'm looking forward for news :)
Thanks a lot! :D I'll try to get a new version up on Monday, maaaybe there'll be some form of single player there, we'll see! I have an exam on Wednesday, but the rest of the week is freetime, so I'll have a lot of time then! :D Again thanks a bunch for trying the game! :D

Ditto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 02:29:00 am »
A little update!
Capture the flag got turned into "Crown mode" instead, special maps have a crown that you can pick up, and if you wear it long enough, you win!

I've also started putting in sounds, which needs a bit more work then I originally thought. I usually make games for jams(mainly Ludum Dare) where I often put in sounds in a real hurry, but now that I actually have more time I want to make the game sound real good! I'll try finish it all until Sunday and put up a new version by then!

I have plans to create a PvE mode with AI-enemies to shoot, but that'll have to wait until the core gameplay feels really good, maybe next week, maybe longer than that.

Same as always, if you have any feedback/ideas or something, please leave a comment! :D

Stay tuned!

Ditto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 09:59:21 pm »
Hey again! Sounds still not done, after getting a bunch of placeholder sounds in (SFXR is great for fast sound production) in the game, I found out I need to rewrite my soundhandler! Woops!

Currently each object that makes a sounds instantiates it's sounds internally, which means I hit the cap of ~256 sounds pretty fast, so after a minute or so of gameplay the sounds just stop working! I'll rewrite the sound handler and try and have sounds (kinda) done until next week! I left the sounds for the menus in, but the default volume is set to 0, it sounds bad, so you'll probably do best not to turn it on anyways : )

Until then I now have "crown mode" working, it works kinda like king of the hill, wear the crown long enough and you win. You can't have weapons equipped while wearing the crown(actually thinking of changing this, tell me what you think).
I also put in some quick and dirty help text in the join screen to clarify the controls, this will change to something better later on!
As always with a work in progress I've made about a million little fixes to stuff also, some of which you might notice if you tried the earlier version! 

Download link!

emoll

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 01:07:45 pm »
Menus click with mouse please.
More than one player per keyboard would be nice if you don't have them gamepads.

remove the mouse and keyboard listening when window not active:
   I can draw in the map editor just by moving some windows over the game window
   and do things in the game just by typing and having the game running in the background.

It would be nice if the map editor had two modes

mouse mode:

Just as it is now
   you draw with mouse
   + add: scroll wheel change tiletype

keyboard mode:

You select coordinate with arrow keys and push different tiles with letters on your keyboard:

a - platform
   s - spikes
   d - dispenser
   etc.

the menu is in the way of your vision in the map editor imo.

You could have that menu on ESC with the mapsize, save, load, clear, back options.

it is kinda fun how you can run into your own explosion with the bazooka.

In general I really love this!
Good concept, great style and I love all the particles and all details!
OMG I almost missed the skins. They were awesome!
10/10 Would play again

Ditto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 01:38:00 pm »
Menus click with mouse please.
More than one player per keyboard would be nice if you don't have them gamepads.

remove the mouse and keyboard listening when window not active:
   I can draw in the map editor just by moving some windows over the game window
   and do things in the game just by typing and having the game running in the background.

It would be nice if the map editor had two modes

mouse mode:

Just as it is now
   you draw with mouse
   + add: scroll wheel change tiletype

keyboard mode:

You select coordinate with arrow keys and push different tiles with letters on your keyboard:

a - platform
   s - spikes
   d - dispenser
   etc.

the menu is in the way of your vision in the map editor imo.

You could have that menu on ESC with the mapsize, save, load, clear, back options.

it is kinda fun how you can run into your own explosion with the bazooka.

In general I really love this!
Good concept, great style and I love all the particles and all details!
OMG I almost missed the skins. They were awesome!
10/10 Would play again

Thanks a bunch for your awesome feedback!

I will try to add all this until next time, the "reading inputs in unfocused" drives me crazy as well^^
Having two players on the same keyboard is a good idea, only problem is it pretty much only works on no-ghost keyboards(since so many buttons would be pressed simultaneously). I'll try it out though, for sure!
Mouse clickable buttons is a good idea, hadn't crossed my mind tbh!
The extra "mode" for level editor is a good idea, I often play on my laptop, and drawing levels with touchpad is a pain in the butt! I also have some ideas for additional building blocks that I will add before the next update!

On the keyboard/mouse listening, I experimented a bit with this; pausing the game when my window gets the "Lost focus" event. Only problem is: to focus the "game part" of the window is unclickable, only the border is(or if you alt-tab back to the game) . I don't really know how to get around this, but it works better then before at least! : D

Thank you again!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 08:03:01 pm by Ditto »

Stauricus

• View Profile
    • A Mafia Graphic Novel
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 10:49:50 pm »
Only problem is: to focus the "game part" of the window is unclickable, only the border is(or if you alt-tab back to the game) . I don't really know how to get around this, but it works better then before at least! : D

it's a  SFML bug that happens in Windows. some people reported this in the forum for some weeks.
by the way, i think you'd like to know that the game runs perfectly in Linux (atleast in Lubuntu) alongside with Wine 1.6.
and what does "färg" mean?
Visit my game site (and hopefully help funding it? )
Website | IndieDB

Ditto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 10:56:44 pm »
it's a  SFML bug that happens in Windows. some people reported this in the forum for some weeks.
by the way, i think you'd like to know that the game runs perfectly in Linux (atleast in Lubuntu) alongside with Wine 1.6.
and what does "färg" mean?

Okay, I'll just let it be like that for the moment then : ) 
That is wonderful! :D Just installed Kubuntu on my laptop this morning, will try playing it later, awesome! :D

färg is "color" in swedish! My friend named it as a joke and it stuck to me : ) In swedish the ä is pronounced like the first A in "Anything" if you're interested, but saying "Faargh" is totally okay with me, almost encouraged! :D

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 10:58:37 pm »
it's a  SFML bug that happens in Windows.

Just to be clear, the bug with the window not receiving focus when clicking inside the window has been resolved in the latest sources.

By the way, your game looks good (but I haven't had time to try it :()
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

Ditto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 12:48:12 am »
it's a  SFML bug that happens in Windows.

Just to be clear, the bug with the window not receiving focus when clicking inside the window has been resolved in the latest sources.

By the way, your game looks good (but I haven't had time to try it :()

It has been fixed? Well then I do something wrong I guess, I'm using SFML2.1.. I'll check in to it then ^^ Also thanks, tell me what you think once you've tried it, hopefully with a friend or a couple! :D