Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Theme suggestions now open!  (Read 23633 times)

Lo-X

• View Profile
    • My personal website, with CV, portfolio and projects
Re: Theme suggestions now open!
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 02:00:55 pm »
Go on and create us your design :)

Deathbeam

• VB6, VB.NET, C#, HTML, PHP, CSS, JavaScript nerd.
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 02:04:25 pm »
Go on and create us your design :)
Spooker Framework - Open source gaming library
My portfolio
Indie Armory - Small community of a game developers. Everyone is welcome. Bring your friends, family, pets...

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 02:05:00 pm »
Lol, dat site design. If I should be brutal honest, I would say that I can not take site with such design serious at all.

Whatever.... if fancy designs make sites more usable might as well screw over half the internet.

On top of that, don't bother complaining unless you actually feel like joining the jam.

Oh, and you get 2 weeks maximum starting with this code: https://github.com/jebbs/sfmlgamejam
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 02:07:43 pm by zsbzsb »
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

Deathbeam

• View Profile
    • My portfolio
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 02:23:36 pm »
Lol, dat site design. If I should be brutal honest, I would say that I can not take site with such design serious at all.

Whatever.... if fancy designs make sites more usable might as well screw over half the internet.

On top of that, don't bother complaining unless you actually feel like joining the jam.

Oh, and you get 2 weeks maximum starting with this code: https://github.com/jebbs/sfmlgamejam

http://blog.usabilla.com/visual-appeal-vs-functionality-web-design/

And is that sfmlgamejam site code even working? Becouse from what I browsed, it is real mess lol.
My portfolio
Indie Armory - Small community of a game developers. Everyone is welcome. Bring your friends, family, pets...

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 02:31:26 pm »
[...]
And is that sfmlgamejam site code even working? Becouse from what I browsed, it is real mess lol.
Instead of just trolling around, you could for example give concrete feedback about what can be improved. Jebbs and zsbzsb put quite a bit of effort into the game jam organization, and they deserve at least constructive criticism.

By the way: when talking about "taking serious", you should probably not use that language and memes...
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Deathbeam

• View Profile
    • My portfolio
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 02:39:00 pm »
[...]
Instead of just trolling around, you could for example give concrete feedback about what can be improved. Jebbs and zsbzsb put quite a bit of effort into the game jam organization, and they deserve at least constructive criticism.

By the way: when talking about "taking serious", you should probably not use that language and memes...
For example, using <center> and <br> design-wise is deprecated, font is not good, too much padding on content (not matching header size) also too much of <ul>. And also, many common things what should be in <header> are simply not there. And. no language specified in main <html> tag. That are just few things what I noticed when I pressed View source code on SFML Game Jam site index.
My portfolio

zsbzsb

• View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 02:46:29 pm »

• Attract attention - not needed because anyone in the community that wants to participate knows where it is.
  • Creates a first impression - again a community site and we aren't trying to impress anyone here
  • Build relationships - already happening on the forums and IRC, out of this sites intent
  • Increase tolerance - seems to me the only problem is that the theme is a little too basic for some people, as has been stated, this will be improved
  • Affects emotions - need I say more? its not the purpose of the site

Nope that isn't working at all, as I said, you get two weeks maximum to build a site from scratch (raw PHP and HTML/CSS) that is workable.

For example, using <center> and <br> design-wise is deprecated, font is not good, too much padding on content (not matching header size) also too much of <ul>. And also, many common things what should be in <header> are simply not there. And. no language specified in main <html> tag. That are just few things what I noticed when I pressed View source code on SFML Game Jam site index.

<center> isn't used anywhere.......... <br> is valid HTML5 and works fine for adding space between text. Doctype has already been fixed, just not uploaded yet.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 02:53:49 pm by zsbzsb »

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 02:52:48 pm »
If I'm brutal honest, you've lost all credibility by just flaming around here. We all know that the design is not up to the standards of today, but instead of just "lol-ing" at it, we see and appreciate the work that has been put into within two weeks to actually get it up and running for the game jam.

Since it's open source, feel free to contribute. Talking is easy, doing is hard.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 03:13:16 pm by eXpl0it3r »
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Deathbeam

• View Profile
    • My portfolio
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 02:53:15 pm »

• Attract attention - not needed because anyone in the community that wants to participate knows where it is.
    • Creates a first impression - again a community site and we aren't trying to impress anyone here
    • Build relationships - already happening on the forums and IRC, out of this sites intent
    • Increase tolerance - seems to me the only problem is that the theme is a little too basic for some people, as has been stated, this will be improved
    • Affects emotions - need I say more? its not the purpose of the site

Nope that isn't working at all, as I said, you get two weeks maximum to build a site from scratch (raw PHP and HTML/CSS) that is workable.

<center> isn't used anywhere.......... <br> is valid HTML5 and works fine for adding space between text. Doctype has already been fixed, just not uploaded yet.[/list]
    https://github.com/Jebbs/sfmlgamejam/blob/master/header.php <center>
    And you ignored that you have missing all properties in header such like content, author and such.
    My portfolio

Lo-X

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 02:55:36 pm »

<html> and <br> are html5 compliant. Language and charset can be defined in meta tags.

Are you talking about <header> html5 tag or <head> tag ? Because nothing is mandatory in <header> tag, it just do indicate the title part of a logically linked block (like the website itself, an article, etc.)

Yes some metas are missing from <head> to be googlebot-compliant, but since people that get on SFML Jam website probably come from here (meaning this forum), it's not an absolute obligation to have them (but can be added whenever possible)

Lo-X

• View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 02:59:54 pm »
    I spoted that (2 times) in header.php file :
    </br>
    [/s]

this is wrong :) it should be
    <br>

(maybe there are more of these in other files)[/s]

Edit: some time I could spend a few of my hours to fix things, and do a pull request. I think we shouldn't put the whole work on one/two person, it's a community-based website afterall

Edit2: zsbzsb or Jebbs, could you provide some SQL file that would create the database, so it's easier for anyone to get the website and make changes ?

Edit 3 : I had the wrong repo as well, the good one is https://github.com/zsbzsb/sfmlgamejam
    « Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 03:17:05 pm by Lo-X »

zsbzsb

• View Profile
      • My little corner...
      • Email
    « Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 03:08:13 pm »
    Please stop quoting full replies, it makes the thread unreadable.

https://github.com/Jebbs/sfmlgamejam/blob/master/header.php <center>
    And you ignored that you have missing all properties in header such like content, author and such.

Who said that was the site's source code? All I said was that if you wanted to do better that is where you must start. That is where I started  ;)

And all those tags aren't even required. Drop the following code into this validator and let me know the result.

<!doctype html>
    <title>HTML5 Minimal Document</title>
    Will this page display? It should. It's written with the HTML5 doctype.]
    « Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 03:18:01 pm by zsbzsb »

select_this

• Current mood: just ate a pinecone
      • View Profile
      • darrenferrie.com
    « Reply #27 on: March 03, 2014, 03:33:53 pm »
    Out of interest, do you need any assistance with the website? I used to be a web developer by profession before I switch to C++ application development, so might be able to give a hand. I'm not too shabby with design either.
    Follow me on Twitter, why don'tcha? @select_this

zsbzsb

• View Profile
      • My little corner...
      • Email
    « Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 03:47:08 pm »
    Out of interest, do you need any assistance with the website? I used to be a web developer by profession before I switch to C++ application development, so might be able to give a hand. I'm not too shabby with design either.

Well anyone is feel free to contribute with pull requests. The actual code for the site that I have done is here. Everything works, mainly the issue is that the theme should be improved somewhat.

But along the line, I think the community should focus on getting sfmlprojects.org up and running. Source for that is available here. Contact via twitter @sfmlprojects or on IRC  @ irc.boxbox.org #sfmlprojects
    « Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 03:52:35 pm by zsbzsb »

Deathbeam

• View Profile
      • My portfolio
      • Email
    « Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 04:50:39 pm »

Well anyone is feel free to contribute with pull requests. The actual code for the site that I have done is here. Everything works, mainly the issue is that the theme should be improved somewhat.

But along the line, I think the community should focus on getting sfmlprojects.org up and running. Source for that is available here. Contact via twitter @sfmlprojects or on IRC  @ irc.boxbox.org #sfmlprojects
    Using Bootstrap for it? Wow that is great, I can help later with design-related things, but I am not core coder, mainly designer and 80% of time when designing sites I am working with Bootstrap.
    My portfolio