Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: OpenGL is going to be completely rewritten  (Read 13446 times)

paupav

• View Profile
    • Email
OpenGL is going to be completely rewritten
« on: August 21, 2014, 01:26:21 am »
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTc2ODQ

It says:
- OpenGL-Next is a ground-up design of a modern 3D+Compute API and will break compatibility with existing OpenGL implementations.

(click to show/hide)

paupav

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OpenGL is going to be completely rewritten
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 01:29:09 am »
So, It actually isn't worth to start learning OpenGL?
How fast do you think it will be completed?

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 01:30:07 am »
Yea.... yea.... yea.... What do half those "big companies" got to do with OpenGL?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 01:33:29 am by zsbzsb »
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

paupav

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 01:38:51 am »
Well, they are all in Khronos group and they all wanna improve it because they all use it.
Basically they donate few of their programmers to work on it.

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 01:53:28 am »
You know... if you plan on getting a motorcycle license when you are allowed to, it doesn't prevent you from first learning how to ride a bicycle. The same is true about OpenGL. The more you understand how it currently works, the easier you will learn how to use the new API, when it comes out... if that much even ends up being changed...

Well, they are all in Khronos group and they all wanna improve it because they all use it.
Let me fix that for you:
Well, they are all in Khronos group and they all wanna improve promote it because they all use make money off of it.

Basically they donate few of their programmers to work on it.
You really think that developing a new OpenGL specification has anything to do with programming? It is more likely they send their best lobbyists to the Khronos meetings than any of their real programmers.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

paupav

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 01:58:55 am »
SO you are one of those guys that finds bad things in everything.

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 02:05:31 am »
And you are one of those guys who hasn't seen what has happened in the past? ;)

You know that this is just an announcement... They haven't even said what they imagine the new API would look like. Just the direction they are aiming to go in. You can dream all you want, but at the end of the day, if the API is unusable for whatever reason, nobody will adopt it and we will end up with another Longs Peak... if you even know what I am talking about...
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

paupav

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 02:44:22 am »
But, but big companies are now in it, and they all wanna create API that is as good or better than DirectX. They wanna create next API that will combine OprnGl and OpenGl ES.
Also are you insulting my age? :)

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 03:03:38 am »
They wanna create next API that will combine OprnGl and OpenGl ES.
This is so wrong, I don't even know how to correct it... They are already combining OpenGL and OpenGL ES with the current API through all those ARB_ES*_compatibility "extensions". Have you actually read more of the... serious documents/presentations directly from Khronos? Or are you just relying on third party media sites to feed you with processed information? Sometimes these sites have no choice other than to hype news so that people like you consume it. First, understand what OpenGL NG is really about and then start to be happy about it, if you are still able to.

Also are you insulting my age? :)
If you have to ask this question, then I am more worried about your capability to do a bit of research on your own...

paupav

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 03:10:21 am »
I meant without extensions. Extensions will become thing of the past, that's what I've understood. As I said I was thinking about learning something about OpenGl (while I'm completing my SFML practice) and I've stumbled on that article.

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 03:13:41 am »
Just learn to use OpenGL 4.5, core, not compatibility. OpenGL NG will take a while to come out... if it doesn't get delayed, or even discarded.

paupav

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 01:42:32 pm »
But they need new API urgently, because developers arent happy and they just wanna stick with DIrectX. All the new games have OpenGl version (for Linux and Mac), before developers didn't had that problem.

Lolilolight

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 05:49:34 pm »
That's a great news!!!

I'm still stuck with opengl 3.0 on my ubuntu 14.4, and, I haven't found any driver which can support opengl 3.3 or greater yet. (It's very problematic for modern game's developpement on linux, especially for games that require hight performance and a lot of special graphic effects, so I can understand why many developpers are unhappy.
I even don't want to speak about opengl ES versions on more exotic plateforms, it's even worth. (There are so many different extensions to handle, so, it's not the fact that developpers doesn't understand how opengl works, it's the fact that they find that it's too much complicated to handle it with many drivers, standart extensions for every drivers'll be less paintfull.)

A developper lend me a raspberry someday to make my framework work onwich (because he was interested by it), but, the driver didn't support SFML on it, so It didn't worked. (But apparently with SDL it works fine, I say, apparently because, I've never tested his game because, the client of his game isn't portable on ubuntu yet.)

The only solution that I've found now is to use windows for modern games developement.  (But I pefer ubuntu and I don't want to change my OS for that.)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 05:52:06 pm by Lolilolight »

paupav

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 05:58:05 pm »
That's a great news!!!

I'm still stuck with opengl 3.0 on my ubuntu 14.4, and, I haven't found any driver which can support opengl 3.3 or greater yet. (It's very problematic for modern game's developpement on linux, especially for games that require hight performance and a lot of special graphic effects, so I can understand why many developpers are unhappy.
I even don't want to speak about opengl ES versions on more exotic plateforms, it's even worth. (There are so many different extensions to handle, so, it's not the fact that developpers doesn't understand how opengl works, it's the fact that they find that it's too much complicated to handle it with many drivers, standart extensions for every drivers'll be less paintfull.)
A developper lend me a raspberry someday to make my framework work onwich (because he was interested by it), but, the driver didn't support SFML on it, so It didn't worked. (But apparently with SDL it works fine, I say, apparently because, I've never tested his game because, the client of his game isn't portable on ubuntu yet.)

The only solution that I've found now is to use windows for modern games developement.  (But I pefer ubuntu and I don't want to change my OS for that.)
This is on my GPU:
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series 
OpenGL version string: 4.4.12967 Compatibility Profile Context 14.20

You are probably using open source GPU drivers or Intel GPU. Can you post which GPU you have?

Lolilolight

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 06:46:41 pm »
Here is my driver :

Code: [Select]
lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Park [Mobility Radeon HD 5430/5450/5470]

You're probably using another version of linux than the mine, because, non opensource drivers worked fine on older versions of my ubuntu but on my new version I've a black screen and I can't logon when non opensource drivers are installed, but I don't want to change of ubuntu's version just because of that.

Opengl 3.0 is sufficient for me, for the moment. (I don't want to develop with newer versions of opengl because of the reasons that you've mentionned.)

PS :  I can make optimized code with older versions of opengl, I don't wanna change my code to moddern opengl so. (Just to pretend to obtain a bit more speed but with a very high level of complexity)

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 06:51:05 pm by Lolilolight »