Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: I don't know why, but i don't like using open source code in my projects  (Read 3346 times)

devilswin

• View Profile
    • Email
So with regards to the sfml game dev book, i find myself trying to recreate what has already been created because i am not as proud when i use other people's code. With the book in mind, i don't want to make a game with the base classes that are crucial to the "engine of the game". Some of those classes are like the application, gamestate (other states) worlds. The other "Base classes" such as state, scenenode and sprite node, command, command queue, state stack, and the others that are the base classes. This requires me to require WAY more time trying to come up with a better way of doing what the classes for the engine do. By doing this, i rarely get stuff done, and generally lose interest in continuing my work.

Any tips? Or a reason to use open source code?

On a separate note, does anyone have an already built package of Thor for mac? can't get it to install

-Gabe
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 04:14:17 pm by devilswin »

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
So with regards to the sfml game dev book, i find myself trying to recreate what has already been created because i am not as proud when i use other people's code.
But you're proud when you use SFML, the C++ language, the Mac operating system -- all of which have been created by other people?

And you're more proud when you reinvent the wheel, that is, steal the idea but not the code? Just to say "I have done it myself"?

Any tips? Or a reason to use open source code?
After your analysis, isn't efficiency alone an obvious reason? There are of course more...

On a separate note, does anyone have an already built package of Thor for mac? can't get it to install
Where do you have problems? Have you read the official tutorials and followed them step-by-step?

By the way, this is not a general discussion about SFML, so please use the Help>General forum next time :)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

devilswin

• View Profile
    • Email
But you're proud when you use SFML, the C++ language, the Mac operating system -- all of which have been created by other people?

And you're more proud when you reinvent the wheel, that is, steal the idea but not the code? Just to say "I have done it myself"?

You raise a good point, however, if i make it myself, it feels more rewarding to me at least to not reinvent the wheel per-say. But to say that a game i made all by myself, and no one else helped me. It may stem from a need for approval that i feel i never have gotten throughout my life. I guess i am looking for a reason to use other's code, but still feel good about my work

Where do you have problems? Have you read the official tutorials and followed them step-by-step?

By the way, this is not a general discussion about SFML, so please use the Help>General forum next time :)

I build it, followed the steps and it did not work. I ran it in Xcode. Then when i try to link it in QTCreator(i prefer it to Xcode), it acts as if the file is not there, or even when it finds the file, the functions do not work.

Im sorry if this is the wrong place for this, thought no one would have an answer so i just put it in incase someone had a pre built version for mac. Im not looking for help in installing it, as i was just hoping someone had already built it. I can remove the thread if you want

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
You raise a good point, however, if i make it myself, it feels more rewarding to me at least to not reinvent the wheel per-say. But to say that a game i made all by myself, and no one else helped me. It may stem from a need for approval that i feel i never have gotten throughout my life. I guess i am looking for a reason to use other's code, but still feel good about my work
You can still develop your next game on your own. But as you see, it's just a question of where to draw the border, you'll always have to rely on frameworks and libraries that assist you.

I don't think it makes sense to redevelop everything that we teach in the book, when you're looking for something to be proud of. But of course you can experiment with the approaches, and use them in different games. Then, at least you do something original.

I build it, followed the steps and it did not work. [...] or even when it finds the file, the functions do not work.
Do you think this error description is helpful in any way?

Im not looking for help in installing it, as i was just hoping someone had already built it.
Since there are not many Thor users on OS X, installing it might be your only option ;) and to be honest, every C++ developer should know how to use libraries for their platform. If you have a problem with Thor or think there's an issue with the configuration, then please describe the problem more meaningfully than above, so that I don't have to guess wildly.
SFML Game Development:

devilswin

• View Profile
    • Email
The place i most likely messed up was after the Xcode build, i just placed it in the /usr/local/include and the /usr/local/lib for the respective files. In the instructions. It just says what to do after building it, not where to place the then built files. Also, the error when running in DEBUG mode is that it says that all of the thor functions and keywords were not defined. If i run it in RELEASE it says that when i try to include, the thor.h file cannot be found. When looking at the actual built files, it says that it only made a debug version

I can make a new thread in the help general if you want

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
The place i most likely messed up was after the Xcode build, i just placed it in the /usr/local/include and the /usr/local/lib for the respective files. In the instructions. It just says what to do after building it, not where to place the then built files.
Have you read the comments about installing marked "important"? And you have to advise your compiler of the include and library paths. That's what I mean with using C++ libraries, it's the same for every library. When you know how to use SFML, you can adopt most of the practices for Thor.

Also, the error when running in DEBUG mode is that it says that all of the thor functions and keywords were not defined.
Then you don't include the right headers.

If i run it in RELEASE it says that when i try to include, the thor.h file cannot be found.
There is no such file, which you can easily verify. What gave you the idea that there would be a thor.h? I don't even use .h extensions in C++...

I can make a new thread in the help general if you want
No worries, this one can be moved...
SFML Game Development:

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
Find your pride in the things that are unique in your game/project and in the fact that you didn't waste time reinventing the wheel, but were smart enough to use available open source components to save time so you could deliver the awesomeness of your project faster.

devilswin

• View Profile
    • Email
Find your pride in the things that are unique in your game/project and in the fact that you didn't waste time reinventing the wheel, but were smart enough to use available open source components to save time so you could deliver the awesomeness of your project faster.

Ok

@Nexus so something must have been wrong with the way i build it, however now when i built it and run it in Xcode, it says all of the sfml libs with the -d suffix are missing, however the way i installed sfml (pre built clang that was on SFML.org) there were no -d libs (.dylib is the file extension)

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
How did you create your Xcode project? If you did use SFML template, then you should not choose the "debug" option when setting it up unless you actually install the debug binaries for SFML.
SFML / OS X developer

anything