Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML 2.3.1 GAME DESIGN LESSONS  (Read 21241 times)

subconsciousbias

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: SFML 2.3.1 GAME DESIGN LESSONS
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 04:50:23 am »
I uploaded 6 more video's. 3 are on the main series, including creating a boss monster. 3 are on vector mouse movement, and don't starve inspired game mechanic.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 01:01:45 pm »
I find it rather amusing that people get offended I created a video series to help people.
Nobody gets offended, but you should be able to receive criticism when you post a project here. And the irony about yet another SFML tutorial in particular is, that it does not necessarily help people, even if you think so. As much as I believe you have good intentions with this -- when you are not experienced enough to teach things correctly, you'll spread bad habits and questionable code style, which will not only not help people, but make their learning path more difficult.

In order to understand what we mean, please read the posts from eXpl0it3r and me here:
http://en.sfml-dev.org/forums/index.php?topic=15761.msg112386#msg112386

In addition, one of the best ways to learn, is to teach. I could have spent 3 days, refining the code. But this is an organic development of a game, filmed over 2 days, everything done was captured live, and created live, without preplanning. This is how you develop a prototype, surely someone must understand this method. I could make the code flawless if I wanted to [...]
So you admit you haven't put enough effort in it. You should also mention this in your series, so that people know what they can expect. Don't advertise it as tutorial if it's in fact the development of a first prototype -- people will see it as what it is and be okay with it :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 01:06:16 pm by Nexus »
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

subconsciousbias

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 01:47:49 pm »
I have received thanks from a few people now, saying how they like the series and it helps them. I also started and found out about sfml about 9 months ago from coding made easy's tutorial series. You are clearly sophisticated at sfml, and don't find tutorials useful. But many including me did. Thank you for the honest feed back, the lessons are going better than I initially expected.

Satus

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 02:46:05 pm »
I have received thanks from a few people now, saying how they like the series and it helps them.

I guess that people not expirienced in SFML won't be able to tell if some tutorials are good or bad.

subconsciousbias

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 03:30:15 pm »
I couldn't tell if coding made easy was good or bad, all I knew was that it worked. And if it works, then that works for me.

Sanction

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2015, 04:12:29 pm »
I think another Tutorial Series is a great idea. The more lessons there are about SFML the more people will want to use it. SFML is a great Library to learn I encourage more people to use it and I encourage more people to teach it. CODEINGMADEEASY might not have had the best tutorials but he did help solve a lot of problems and he did inspire a lot of people to become better programmers. 
Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers. It may not be difficult to store up in the mind a vast quantity of facts within a comparatively short time, but the ability to form judgments requires the severe discipline of hard work and the tempering heat of experience and maturity.

subconsciousbias

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2015, 04:20:02 pm »
I think another Tutorial Series is a great idea. The more lessons there are about SFML the more people will want to use it. SFML is a great Library to learn I encourage more people to use it and I encourage more people to teach it. CODEINGMADEEASY might not have had the best tutorials but he did help solve a lot of problems and he did inspire a lot of people to become better programmers.

Thank you

Rosme

• Proud member of the shoe club
    • View Profile
    • Code-Concept
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2015, 04:44:56 pm »
I couldn't tell if coding made easy was good or bad, all I knew was that it worked. And if it works, then that works for me.
This, is exactly the wrong idea. The link that Nexus give is very useful and should be considered.

IIRC believe CodingMadeEasy show some bad pratice(I'm sure we could find some post on the forum about it). One of the problem with video tutorial(and tutorial in general to an extent), is that they can become obsolete very quickly. Think about it. As soon as SFML release 2.4, your tutorials are not good anymore.

You may have received message from people saying it helped them, and that's great, but the truth is that a beginner cannot distinguished good from bad tutorials(how could they, they don't know anything). There are good and bad practices, and even though both can work, good practices should always be the favored one. How would you know if a practice is good or bad? Well by reading good quality book, or listening to more experienced programmer(Nexus, eXpl0iter, Tank, etc. for example). When we say such things, it's not to tell you that you are not good. We want to help you as much as possible and for that, listening to us would proved to be useful.

In the end, it comes back to showing something that simply works vs something that is well done. Now, if you advocate the first one, where simply works means "anything as long as it works, who will care?", then you will probably have lost respect of a few member here. If you go for the second option, then you should probably put down those tutorials, and practice, and experiment, and learn. After a while of practice and learning, you might reconsider those tutorials.

Finally, it's all up to you, but you can't expect experienced people to support bad coding practice.

On such,
good luck.

GitHub
Code Concept
Twitter
Rosme on IRC/Discord

subconsciousbias

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2015, 04:57:48 pm »
This, is exactly the wrong idea. The link that Nexus give is very useful and should be considered.

IIRC believe CodingMadeEasy show some bad pratice(I'm sure we could find some post on the forum about it). One of the problem with video tutorial(and tutorial in general to an extent), is that they can become obsolete very quickly. Think about it. As soon as SFML release 2.4, your tutorials are not good anymore.

You may have received message from people saying it helped them, and that's great, but the truth is that a beginner cannot distinguished good from bad tutorials(how could they, they don't know anything). There are good and bad practices, and even though both can work, good practices should always be the favored one. How would you know if a practice is good or bad? Well by reading good quality book, or listening to more experienced programmer(Nexus, eXpl0iter, Tank, etc. for example). When we say such things, it's not to tell you that you are not good. We want to help you as much as possible and for that, listening to us would proved to be useful.

In the end, it comes back to showing something that simply works vs something that is well done. Now, if you advocate the first one, where simply works means "anything as long as it works, who will care?", then you will probably have lost respect of a few member here. If you go for the second option, then you should probably put down those tutorials, and practice, and experiment, and learn. After a while of practice and learning, you might reconsider those tutorials.

Finally, it's all up to you, but you can't expect experienced people to support bad coding practice.

On such,
good luck.

Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts. I agree with you. I will be releasing more videos in the future, because my series teaches you how to do things that no other video series online for sfml does, and my offer remains, create a better video series and I will delete mine, no one will. My series has been helping people, and there is zero chance of it going away, even if youtube crashes, it can easily be re-uploaded from my backup hard-drive. I will be releasing more videos on sfml in the future, stay tuned.

Rosme

• Proud member of the shoe club
    • View Profile
    • Code-Concept
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2015, 05:05:31 pm »
If you agree with me, why are you doing the opposite of what I said? I guess you did not understand the point of my post if you say such.

No I will not make a series, for multiple reasons. Some of which are in my post, others are more personnal. Nonetheless, you should really consider what has been said by Laurent, me, Nexus, Hapax, and zsbzsb. Those are not meant to be mean, but only to help you get better and produce better content.
GitHub
Code Concept
Twitter
Rosme on IRC/Discord

subconsciousbias

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2015, 05:07:44 pm »
If you agree with me, why are you doing the opposite of what I said? I guess you did not understand the point of my post if you say such.

No I will not make a series, for multiple reasons. Some of which are in my post, others are more personnal. Nonetheless, you should really consider what has been said by Laurent, me, Nexus, Hapax, and zsbzsb. Those are not meant to be mean, but only to help you get better and produce better content.

Have you watched my series?

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2015, 05:24:38 pm »
Stop making empty challenges saying that nobody can/will do better and if somebody does do better you will delete your videos. Better already exists but I doubt that will cause you to delete your videos.

http://en.sfml-dev.org/forums/index.php?topic=13677.0
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

subconsciousbias

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2015, 05:27:23 pm »
Stop making empty challenges saying that nobody can/will do better and if somebody does do better you will delete your videos. Better already exists but I doubt that will cause you to delete your videos.

http://en.sfml-dev.org/forums/index.php?topic=13677.0

I don't think brick breaker is on the same playing field, sorry. Also it is not a challenge, it is just proving a point, that you won't supply a video series better than mine, so quit getting upset, that I am giving free useful information for sfml, which will in turn cause them to come to your site, and buy your ebooks. It is not competition for your ebooks.

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2015, 05:33:22 pm »
Just call your video series dev log and nobody will have issues with it. :)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

subconsciousbias

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2015, 05:36:01 pm »
Just call your video series dev log and nobody will have issues with it. :)

lol, well it is my video series, so I can call it whatever I want. Just remember my video series is free advertising for sfml, and leads people to buying your ebooks.