Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Last of the Ambaras  (Read 20909 times)

Ungod

• View Profile
Last of the Ambaras
« on: November 26, 2015, 09:59:30 pm »

Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzzf_JgcMKhhMCQbp4Y960A
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/theLastOfTheAmbaras/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Hi Guys :)

This project swallowed countless hours now and i felt its time to present it and get some feedback. There is much to say, so i will structure this post into some subtitles so you can scrolls through and read the passages you are interested in. If you want a more in depth explanation of some aspect, I will extend the text later.

But a picture is worth a thousand words so you may start on my YouTube channel. I recently released a first DevLog. This thread will lack screenshots because anything visible I want to present at the moment can be seen there.

DevLog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekcwa97kAB4

• FIRST OF ALL: WHAT IS LAST OF THE AMBARAS?

It's a 2D RPG game in a completely new fantasy world, based on my own lore and my own rules. I dont want to leave many words about story now,
    because there is still no story implemented in the game (its all in my head and written on paper), but let me give you a short introduction.
    The empires Vaugaloth and Nagrond are ruled by two of the oldest families of the known world. The Ambaras reign in Venthal, in the Crystalline Citadel and in the present, the lost most of the power they had in old times. There are just a few of them left and thats what gives the game its title. On the other side of the Grey Sea reside the Cravacus, a proud house which emphazies honor and traditions. There is an old hatred between these families and it needs just a small stumbling block to newly inflame the war between them. When you enter this world, it seems that this little rock suddenly has fallen...

• HISTORY

Spring 2014, I just started to devolop a game, quite planless, since I just wanted to do some cool stuff with the things I learned in university.
    Up to Fall 2014, I build a prototype of my game in Java, starting with a simple console-text-RPG up to some cheap mouse-drawn assets and a little guy i could controle with my keys. I noticed my pleasure creating video games during this time, so I decided to create some serious concepts based on my own game-expirience up to this point. I painted many assets with a graphics-tablet for a game that was just in my head, but I never put by this hobby, so it evolved over time.
    Finally since january this year I code in C++ using SFML. I did a complete redesign of my Java code, starting with a tough core-engine, wrote a main-loop with clean timestep, set up asset-managers and I racked my brain about efficient resource handling and XML-parsing. The first time of coding was quiet hard, because I came from Java my C++ expierience was outdated and additionally writing the raw base of an engine is not very exciting at all. But practice makes perfect, thats for sure.

• ENGINE

Lovely called Ungod-Engine after my name. I tried to build my code as generic as possible, though I dont think I will use the engine for stuff other than this game in the next years. But genererally I think its useful to stay as generic as possible, so you may can use the same code for multible purposes.
    In its core, my engine works as almost every other engine too, so I dont want to leave many words about that here. Its based on a entity system and mainly uses a quad-tree to store world-content.
    The quad tree is one of my favorite data-structures when handling 2D content, and its due to him, that my open world-concept works as intended. During update (especially collision-detection) and rendering process, the engine just retrieves the entities that are around (or directly on) the screen in an efficient way, instead of iterating over vectors of millions of pointers.

• WORLD

The Game takes place in a huge open world. My goal is to realize this without loading times at all to ensure REAL open world feeling. So how is this done? Currently my worldmap is just a single quad tree, which can indeed store a huge open world map, but 500k trees loaded independent from the distance to the player, can easyly fill the RAM. To solve this problem I came up with this: The world will be seperated in chunks. You can see them as squares in the 2D space. All entities in a chunk can be stored in a xml-file on the hard drive and the engine just loads the chunk containing the player and the 8 chunks surrounding this chunk. Every chunk will has its own quad-tree with entities. By storing a pointer to the currently visited chunks, its possible to efficiently retrieve the only world data relevant at this point: Those which is near the player. When entering a new chunk, the engine will automatically deallocate the memory from old chunks and will load new chunks in a seperate thread. This way I get a huge open world with dynamic chunk management and no loading screens at all. At least thats the future plan.

What about world design? Well the plan is, to procedurally generate a huge open world map (based on the chunk system explained before) and fill it with random content. The editor is now a tool to handcraft the content of a chunk and i will use it for example to create fixed cities in the random world.

(some points comming soon)
5. Inventory/Items/Skills
6. Enemy-AI (finite state mashines)
7. Art (not about coding at all)
8. Editor
9. GUI
10. Sound

I think thats enough for an initial post. I will extend the text with code if you want, but at this time its hard to say what could be an interesting while at the same time short and pregnant code passage to present.

So long ~Ungod
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 08:58:00 pm by Ungod »

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
Re: Last of the Ambaras
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 03:11:01 am »
The title/cover image artwork is beautiful.
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 08:45:48 am »
This looks great! :)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 09:22:10 am »
That looks pretty!

Ungod

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 10:22:52 am »
Thx very much for your kind words!  ::)

Sebox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 12:32:59 pm »
It look very good but maybe you should go towards graphics of izometric projection? You know like 2.5D maybe the result would be even better. Look to game Warcraft 3 or 2 i know its in 3D engine but  for such an outcome I mean. Anyway the game promises to be very well. Good luck ;)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 12:36:25 pm by Sebox »

Ungod

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 01:26:18 pm »
Thx for your feedback!  :)

I tried isometric projection in the  beginning, but I found it too 'rigid' for my purposes. I currently use some kind of oblique projection and I like it more, because of its depths and imo it hasnt this hard "viewer from above" effect of isometric view. Thats because in oblique perspective, you actually see objects in their "full-size" from a kind of front view. Isometric perspective is great and good to drawn, because of its fixed angles, I just think it doesnt match my purposes.

But this is much about personal preferences. I already have some castle and town assets ready (but not implemented). I can do a fake screenshots when I have some time and you can check how the perspective looks if some architecture comes in.

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 02:17:04 pm »
Very impressive.
Looks nice.
Good work.
I'd probably play a Linux version of this.

Ungod

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 04:35:21 pm »
Hey Guys.

Devlog number 2 is out now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoHdlmTRP5k&feature=youtu.be

I'm very busy at the moment and there is not much time for game programming. But I plan some very exiting things in 2016 from programming side and I will definitely share them here.

I'll do some audiodesign over christmas and other creative things, but probably no brain-labor at all. I've found a critical engine bug in the last days, but I will definitely need a few full-time days to fix it and there will be no time and motivation in the last 2 weeks of this year. :'(

So long, relaxing holidays for all of you!

Jabberwocky

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 08:10:56 pm »
Cool.
Ambitious!  But it's amazing what someone can do when they're working on a game they love.  Thanks for sharing.

Ungod

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 08:22:50 pm »
Thx!
What you mention is definitely a fundamental of indie-game-development.

Ungod

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 02:57:01 pm »
So hey again. Some time has passed and I'm a upset that I managed to make to less visual progress.

I had some pressure with exams in january and someone destroyed my netbook in february which bounced me back for about ~10hours of work. Not that much at all, but actually a huge demotivation for me at that moment.

In fact I currently redoing most of my engine before making any gameplay progress. I reworked my whole memory management so that the engine now uses c++11 smart pointers and I redesigned hundreds of code lines which were simple crap before. Right now I implement a new design for metadata which is more generic and less code-intensive. Also my xml is now much more structured then before:

Code: [Select]
<meta fileID="0">
        <stats count="18">1 10 28 20 8 8 2 4 8 70 45 3 1 2 75 100 95 18</stats>
        <souls count="31">1 5 7 11 16 17 20 21 24 25 26 27 29 31 32 36 41 42 44 46 49 54 56 58 60 61 62 72 73 76 87</souls>
        <skills count="15">0 2 0 0 2 1 0 2 2 0 3 0 0 1 1</skills>
        <drops count="12">0 8 11 12 13 14 15 16 19 20 21 22</drops>
        <!-- health_tresh | en_tresh | skill_delay | arrival_radius | roam_dist | roam_timer_lower | roam_timer_upper | max_vel | evade_dist -->
        <AI count="10">25 35 2000 50 200 8000 15000 1 350 330</AI>
    </meta>

What the hell was this?
It changed to:

<stroller base_soul_slots="1"
              experience="10"
              drop_rarity="28"
              drop_rate="20"
              soul_rate="8"
              base_ardor="8"
              base_spirit="2"
              base_cabal="4"
              base_bravery="8"
              health="70"
              damage="45"
              ardor_resistance="3"
              spirit_resistance="1"
              bravery_resistance="2"
              attack_spread="75"
              attack_range="100"
              attack_angle="95"
              body_weight="18"
              can_hold_soul_effects="1 5 7 11 16 17 20 21 24 25 26 27 29 31 32 36 41 42 44 46 49 54 56 58 60 61 62 72 73 76 87"
              attack_sound_1="assets/sfx/foes/attack1.wav"
              attack_sound_2="assets/sfx/foes/attack1.wav"
              idle_sound="assets/sfx/foes/stroller_idle.wav"
              defensive_state_sound="assets/sfx/foes/attack1.wav"
              death_sound="assets/sfx/foes/stroller_death.wav">

I now use 2 classes for meta-data:

One is vector based and xml nodes (like the one above) can be directly accessed with indices. I use this for ordered stuff like enemy-types (which have natural numbers as IDs).

The other one is hash based and uses a unordered_map to access xml-nodes through string keys.
I use this type for things like config-files in which the entries are bare any order.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 02:59:31 pm by Ungod »

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 10:11:06 am »
Cool, keep it up! Any progress is progress! :)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Ungod

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 05:32:10 pm »
Mini-Update:

I recently finished the improvements on my skill-system so that skills (useable by both player and NPCs)
can be defined with cleaner xml-code.

What do you guys think of it? The question is: Is it easy to understand (for modders) and easy to use to create own skills or would you recommend me to spend time in making a GUI-tool for skill-creation? There are many skills ingame (currently 100) and they shall be easily extendable.

<skill skill_type="Magic_missile" cost="10" cooldown="1" activation_time="900" recharge_at_switch="0" AI_rating="5">
            <mechanic mechanic_type="projectile">
                <parameter speed="6" flight_range="1200" size="10"
                           sheet_id="assets/combat/Combat.png"
                           sheet_meta="assets/combat/Combat_Meta.xml"
                           sheet_key="SmallFireball" />
            </mechanic>
            <effects>
                <effect type="Inflict_debuff">
                    <parameter debuff_type="Burning" duration_base="2" duration_multiplier="0" level_base="1" level_multiplier="0.15"/>
                    <condition>
                        <condition type="Target_is_foe">
                            <parameter/>
                        </condition>
                    </condition>
                </effect>
            </effects>
            <audio activation="assets/sfx/skills/skillcast_ardor.wav"
                   mechanic="assets/sfx/skills/fireball_trigger.wav"
                   mechanic="assets/sfx/skills/fireball_impact.wav"/>
        </skill>

(Example for a fire-projectile that inflicts burning-debuff on a single target foe)

Cool, keep it up! Any progress is progress! :)

Thank you :)

bitano

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 06:34:09 pm »
What do you guys think of it? The question is: Is it easy to understand (for modders) and easy to use to create own skills or would you recommend me to spend time in making a GUI-tool for skill-creation? There are many skills ingame (currently 100) and they shall be easily extendable.
Keep properties consistent (like using type for every tag instead of skill_type for <skill> and mechanic_type for <mechanic>
Also: Audio has 2 "mechanic" properties?

I think most modders can deal with well-documented, consistent XML code. A GUI seems more like a nice-to-have further down the road.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:35:51 pm by bitano »