Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 5th SFML Game Jam  (Read 74193 times)

Eremiell

• View Profile
5th SFML Game Jam
« on: February 17, 2016, 03:00:21 am »
The site's prepared! Go and register now! We're looking forward for all of you!

"Failure is an option" is the theme for this jam!

The jam has officially ended! It's final judging time!

Come join us to our jam IRC channel #sfmlgamejam @ irc.boxbox.org. Open in browser via KiwiIRC.

The Final Judging categories for this jam are:

Innovation - How innovative, unexpected and refreshing the project is.
Gameplay Mechanics - How interesting the mechanics are, how originally are they composed.

Fun - How much fun it is to play the project.
Theme - How well it captures the theme. (Please be open minded for various theme interpretations.)

Graphics - How well it looks, how original it is visually.
Audio - How well it sounds, how original it is audibly.

Mood - How much it captures you into the story and world in general, how much you feel inside the project.
Game Flow - How smoothly the project goes.

Overall - Computed from all the previous.

Terms for this SFML Game Jam are:

Theme ProposalTheme VotingTheme AnnouncementJammingDeliveryFinal JudgingWinner Announcement
29. Feb - 1. Mar2. Mar - 3. Mar4. Mar5. Mar - 20. Mar21. Mar - 22. Mar23. Mar - 3. Apr4. Apr

Rules:

Time Frame:
1. The jam starts with 48 hours for theme proposal.
2. Another 48 hours are given for theme voting.
3. The theme of the jam is announced 24 hours before the jamming officially starts.
4. Participants are given 16 days of jamming (Saturday midnight UTC to Monday midnight UTC) to work on their projects.
5. Additional 48 hours are given to participants for packaging the projects and delivery.
6. Everyone has 12 days to try the projects and cast their votes in final judging.
7. Together start to finish, the jam takes 5 weeks, all phases follow each other immediately. Most of the participant's activity is expected in the 16 days of jamming.

Theme Proposal:
8. Everyone with an account on the jam site is welcome to propose theme ideas.
9. Theme ideas must not be offensive, vague, too similar to theme of any previous SFML Game Jam or recent iterations of any major game jam and must make sense.

Theme Voting:
10. Each participant (person intending to try to make a project during the jamming phase on his own or in a team) is allowed to take place in theme voting. Non-participants are asked to abstain.
11. The theme ideas will be voted on in several rounds.
12. Each round each participant has limited amount of votes decided by organizers based on amount of received theme ideas. The number of votes as well as the number of rounds will be known to participant at the beginning of the first voting round. Number of votes will be the same in all rounds including the final round.
13. Votes can be used to cast positive or negative points on ideas in the given round.
14. Theme ideas with best scores from each round will progress to the final round. Winner of the final round will be announced as the jam theme.

Theme Announcement:
15. Participants are free to publicly or privately brainstorm project ideas and form teams. No actual work on the project should yet be started.
16. Participants can continue to do whatever they're normally doing even if that would be useful for their jam project, but they shouldn't specifically work on the project itself.

Jamming:
17. Participants can work in a team of any size, or by themselves. Any participant is allowed to work on several teams or projects (like asset creators can provide music or graphics for several projects, etc.).
18. Participants should only create any original work needed for their project during this phase.
19. Any programming language may be used, as long as SFML (or one of its bindings) is used.
20. External libraries are allowed, but not SFML's competitors, such as GLFW, SDL, Allegro, etc. The use of OpenGL is allowed, however.
21. Any additional resources are allowed as long as participants have rights to use them, but they shouldn't be presented as original content created for the jam. Previous rule is the only limitation to this.
22. Participants have to give credit to original authors of any resources they use, that are not their own, even when the license doesn't enforce that. (Mostly so it's clear what is and what isn't their work.)

Delivery:
23. Team size and members must be stated when submitting.
24. A link to source is required when submitting as well as link to assets/anything needed in addition to compiled source in ready to use form (archive with expected directory structure, directory with expected contents and subdirectories on some cloud storage service, ...). Additional libraries should be listed and providing precompiled binaries or ways to obtain or compile them is encouraged.
25. Source and any assets created for the project have to be release into Public Domain or under permissive or copyleft license if that's possible. Participants are encouraged to use permissive license for maximal reusability of the work. Recommendations for participants without prior understanding on licensing are provided here, but are not part of these rules in any way.
26. A link to a working version of the project for either Windows, Mac, or Linux is required when submitting. This must include the executable and all assets/extras needed to run the project.
27. Projects with NSFW or shocking content must be marked as such.
28. Porting to other OS's as well as fixing small bugs in the project and any issues with the packaging is allowed and encouraged.
29. Participants are allowed to continue work on their project, but they have to keep the version made during the jamming phase (with exceptions per previous rule) for final judging.

Final Judging:
30. Everyone with an account of the jam site has right to vote (even non-participants).
31. Final judging takes place in several categories, that will be known to everyone at the beginning of the jamming phase.
32. Participants can decide to not take place in judging for some categories for any reason. Participants who didn't create any original content in given category are encouraged to do so.
33. Porting to other OS's as well as fixing small bugs in the project and any issues with the packaging is still allowed and encouraged.
34. Participants are allowed to continue work on their project, but they have to keep the version made during the jamming phase (with exceptions per previous rule) until this phase is over.
35. Winner in each category as well as overall winner will be announced once the final judging is over.

This post should stay up to date and may be edited later. To discuss the rules, please use the original planning thread.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 01:02:28 am by Eremiell »

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Re: 5th SFML Game Jam
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 02:49:50 am »
Hurrah! ;)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 08:06:04 pm »
Great, thanks a lot for taking care of all this and realizing the next jam! :)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

siordache94

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 02:09:27 am »
I can't seem to get where i need to "apply" for the jam  :-X
Not sure yet if I can participate but I'll keep an eye on it :)

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 06:02:40 am »
Good to see this up and running. Hope I'll even be able to participate!

I can't seem to get where i need to "apply" for the jam  :-X
Not sure yet if I can participate but I'll keep an eye on it :)
The jam (or the pre-jam period) hasn't started yet but you could sign up at the official SFML Game Jam website in preparation for it :)
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Eremiell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 11:52:50 am »
There are still some finishing touches being done on the website, which is why I haven't linked it officially, but you can already register on the site. I'll add it to the top of the thread once it's 100% ready.

Hapax

• View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 06:40:23 pm »
register on the site
My link above takes you directly to the registration page  :P
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Eremiell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 04:32:32 am »
Missed that one.  :)

Eremiell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 03:09:25 pm »
Was just informed, that just editing the lead post won't bump this thread in people's unread, so yay, an update. The jam is now officially started and you're all invited. still more than 2 weeks to go.

Hapax

• View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 01:49:10 pm »
Totally missed the entire theme decision process.

Still, if I can think of something for the theme, I may still give it a go :-\
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 02:58:40 pm »
Totally missed the entire theme decision process.
Me too, and I'm sure we're not the only ones. Too bad...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 03:00:36 pm by Nexus »
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Ztormi

• Web developer by day. Game developer by night.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 03:03:07 pm »
Managed to get my votes in to the final round  ;D
Yeah...

ka0s420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 07:21:08 pm »
this is either a) a very clever, philosophical theme that will require some actual thought, or b) the complete opposite.

at what point does failure being an option make it no longer a failure? at what point does failure stop being an option and becoming a pre-requisite for winning.

The only ideas i've had so far (of my own) are a generic platformer where falling down holes doesn't kill you, but helps you somehow (again making it perhaps teh better option, i.e not a failure at all). And the other idea was business tycoon-type game where you buy out rival businesses and try to run them, but if all else fails, you can make it go bankrupt and its still a win(strategy game for a game jam seems ambitious at least).

So yeah, ima gonna have to keep thinking on this. dw, I'm not fishing for ideas.

SpeCter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 07:50:42 pm »
One example would be Rogue Legacy. You can play through it in one go, but if your character dies, it stays dead and one of its ancestors keeps going on etc.

select_this

• Current mood: just ate a pinecone
    • View Profile
    • darrenferrie.com
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 08:29:04 pm »
this is either a) a very clever, philosophical theme that will require some actual thought, or b) the complete opposite.

I'll either be flattered or offended depending on which you end up plumping for  :P

The idea popped into my head when I was thinking about idioms that might make for a good theme. It was the one theme I suggested that I didn't already have an idea for - but that's how it goes!
Follow me on Twitter, why don'tcha? @select_this

anything