Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Open-sourcing my project & advice  (Read 2791 times)

Fitzy

• View Profile
    • Email
Open-sourcing my project & advice
« on: March 12, 2017, 12:10:42 am »
Hello guys,

I am a long time user and limited contributor on the forums for SFML.

I finished university a while back and my dissertation was a project I had to plan from start to finish. I decided to go ahead and tackle something I was itching to try for a long time but, never got the chance to try it.

I went ahead and made a 2D game engine, using Qt, powered by SFML. This project was never finished but I believe that it is a good starting point to make a 2D game engine.

Features:
  • Unity style component based editor design
  • Lua scripting
  • Scene saving and loading

My question is, would this be something this community would be interested in seeing/using? What licence would be fair to release it under? MIT seems like a good place to start.

Below are some screenshots of the editor. There is also a "light" theme.

The screenshots are showing default, no scene loaded. Scene loaded and "playing" and some shots of lua FPS counter and json scene file.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 03:53:01 pm by Fitzy »

Mario

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
Re: Open-sourcing my project & advice
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 10:28:47 am »
You should probably add some screenshots or even a video showcasing the project.

Besides that: If you want to release it as open source, why not do so and see what people think? As for licenses, that's really up to you and something for you to decide what you're comfortable with.

Also keep in mind your University might own some or potentially even all of the rights on the software, depending on your local legislation and how it got created.

korczurekk

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 10:51:18 am »
More importantly – is there any reason not to publish it under open source license?
If not, do it. Even if project in current state may not be that useful, someone might just pick it up and continue developing it. Btw you can also consider using some GPL license, ofc my suggestion doesn't imply that MIT is bad choice, both are nice, it's up to you whether you want to let someone else re–close your project after adding a few lines or not.

Fitzy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 03:51:41 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

I've added screenshots of the editor.

The scenes can be previewed similar to how  unity works. You can do a quick play of the scene then stop it (resets all changes made while in play state).

Mario

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 12:04:38 pm »
Btw you can also consider using some GPL license, ofc my suggestion doesn't imply that MIT is bad choice, both are nice, it's up to you whether you want to let someone else re–close your project after adding a few lines or not.

Publishing a project like this under the GPL sounds like an instant and guaranteed death. Who'd use it for anything serious? (Let's not escalate this in a pro/con discussion, it's just a generally bad idea to use a copyleft license for anything you want people to adapt and use in all kinds of projects.)

Editor definitely looks great, would certainly give it a spin. :)

anything