Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: CosmoScroll - space shooter game  (Read 28393 times)

Haze

• View Profile
    • Github Profile
Re: CosmoScroll - space shooter game
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2012, 03:29:52 pm »
Still using SFML 1.6 = ATI bug doesn't let me run the game. :(
Oh, I tought the ATI bug was only about a crash at exit (which compiling with static linking can fix). But I've searched on the forum and Laurent wrote there is a second ATI bug as well : freeze at global startup when using Catalyst drivers.

Someone might found a workaround in this topic, which just requires adding a ATI dll in the executable's directory.
Here's a packaged version of CosmoScroll with all the ATI dlls (atioglxx.dll, atigktxx.dll, atio6axx.dll), atio6axx.dll should be the one you need for 64bits drivers, so consider deleting the other ones if it sill doesn't work. See this page for more details about those dlls.

This is just a workaround, migrating to SFML 2.0 is on the top of my TODO list.

Everything works good. Maybe you could make the player´s ship slide a little bit, some kind of inertia?
I already implemented inertia and quickly reverted to the previous behavior because this made the game insanely difficult. You really need instantaneous movement response and upgrading the spaceship engine, especially past the level 3 (level 1 and 2 are really easy).

And also you could make the player´s ship collider smaller so it´s harder to get hit. But it´s just my feeling maybe I am a bad space shooter player!  :D
Collisions are pixel-perfect, making the hit box smaller than the spaceship would not be very fair :)
If you're really having trouble, you can redo previous levels and gain more credits for buying better items.

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2012, 04:17:36 pm »
Someone might found a workaround in this topic, which just requires adding a ATI dll in the executable's directory.
Here's a packaged version of CosmoScroll with all the ATI dlls (atioglxx.dll, atigktxx.dll, atio6axx.dll), atio6axx.dll should be the one you need for 64bits drivers, so consider deleting the other ones if it sill doesn't work. See this page for more details about those dlls.

Nope doesn't fix the problem on my end... :-/
Maybe if there were dlls of a older ATI OpenGL driver than 10.4.
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

XxSpeedDemonxXx

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2013, 11:03:13 am »
Great game. I enjoyed the mechanics of it, and I looked through the source code; it looked clean and efficient. I'll be honest, I don't use S.F.M.L.; I have, but I prefer using DirectX for rendering and the Windows A.P.I., but, it's interesting to see new projects from different libraries; especially games. This game you've created actually kept me going on a project I've been working on called "XeroSpace". I was about to give up on it and figured it was a waste of time, but then your game kept me going. Keep it up, the gaming community needs more stuff like this.
From sanity, there is insanity.

~Atomic Platypus Studios~

Haze

• View Profile
    • Github Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2013, 08:54:59 pm »
Thanks for the kind words! The source code could be greatly improved however (conception mistakes, too many singletons, half of the documentation is written in French...).
It's been a while since last release, but I'm still working on it time to time (migration from SFML 1.6 to 2.0 was a big change).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 04:56:09 pm by Haze »

XxSpeedDemonxXx

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2013, 03:06:34 am »
Thanks for the kind words! The source code could be greatly however (conception mistakes, too many singletons, half of the documentation is written in French...).
It's been a while since last release, but I'm still working on it time to time (migration from SFML 1.6 to 2.0 was a big change).

You're welcome, and yeah, but the rest of the code was pretty good. Hope to see a new release soon!
From sanity, there is insanity.

~Atomic Platypus Studios~

anything