Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: M.A.R.S. - a random shooter  (Read 26238 times)

MarsCoreTeam

• View Profile
    • http://www.marsshooter.org
Very odd...
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2011, 02:53:22 pm »
The problem you're describing is veeeery odd... ;)
We know some others who share this problem. It seems to be sfml-on-windows-related, not directly to mars, since it happens to every application which makes use of sf::Window. I will post over there: http://www.sfml-dev.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3830 because the poster there seems to have the same problem. Stay tuned, this will get fixed, since it seem to be a bug of SFML itself!

Greetings,
Simon
Working on the Open Source Project M.A.R.S.

heishe

• View Profile
M.A.R.S. - a random shooter
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2011, 05:05:16 pm »
cmake won't work either. it aborts with failures about SFML-libs (seems like the cmake build is dependent on some SFML libs).  premake, I don't know how to compile thep remake script.

Svenstaro

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2011, 06:26:35 pm »
Quote from: "MarsCoreTeam"
Quote from: "Svenstaro"
Awesome to hear your progress!

What I mean is that I need the sources in a concrete package (not an on-the-fly svn-to-http package like you linked) that I can use md5sum on and always get the same md5sum on it.

Most projects have that and that is what package systems expect to work with, thus it would be appreciated. Basically, I'd like a third package additional to your current Linux and Windows pacakges that only contains the source and all binary files but not the prebuilt executables.

I'm sure we will find a way to provide such a package as soon as possible.
Are you sure that the md5sum alway remains the same (independend from the package)? I am pretty new to it, but i thought the hash values are directly created from the binary structure of the packed files/the package itself, so that there is no way to get the same md5sum everytime.

Well you make a source package and of that package the md5sum will always be the same. With every new release you make a new source package that naturally has a new md5sum.

MarsCoreTeam

• View Profile
    • http://www.marsshooter.org
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2011, 07:29:04 am »
cmake won't work either. it aborts with failures about SFML-libs (seems like the cmake build is dependent on some SFML libs). premake, I don't know how to compile thep remake script.

Of course, cmake depends on SFML2, since it tries to find it, in order to configure your favorite build system. And it will find SFML2 when there is a path variable on your system, pointing to the directory which contains the \include and \lib folder of SFML2 (this should be the path to your compiler...)

Premake is quite easy: Download the premake-4.3-windows.zip file over there: http://industriousone.com/premake/download, extract the containing exe to M.A.R.S. directory (put it in the same folder as the premake.lua script). Then open a command prompt, cd to M.A.R.S.' directory and enter "premake4.exe codeblocks" (or whatever build environment you prefer... there's a list of all supported ones: http://industriousone.com/what-premake)

That's all.

If you like premake, you can put the premake.exe in your System32 folder, so you can launch it from everywhere, but that's not necessary...

Greetings,
Simon.
Working on the Open Source Project M.A.R.S.

Svenstaro

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2011, 02:36:07 pm »
A few more things I noticed:

Yay for CMake. I'll be using that one in my packages from now on instead of premake. Your CMake files still do not allow for proper automatic installation though. Calling make install should install all files to their proper places (/usr/bin/marsshooter, /usr/share/marsshooter/data, etc).

Still no versioned source package! :(

You seem to have screwed up a merge somewhat as you can see in settings.cpp where you provide the three-way merge files in the commit: http://mars-game.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mars-game/src/System/

You should provide a freedesktop .desktop file so that your game can easily be added to the menus of all DEs and WMs. Something like this: http://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/urbanterror/trunk/urbanterror.desktop . Don't forget the icon file itself.

heishe

• View Profile
Re: Very odd...
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2011, 04:57:53 am »
Quote from: "MarsCoreTeam"
The problem you're describing is veeeery odd... ;)
We know some others who share this problem. It seems to be sfml-on-windows-related, not directly to mars, since it happens to every application which makes use of sf::Window. I will post over there: http://www.sfml-dev.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3830 because the poster there seems to have the same problem. Stay tuned, this will get fixed, since it seem to be a bug of SFML itself!

Greetings,
Simon

Hey.

I'm pretty sure that problem is 64-bit related. I get the same error (and I mean that when launching any sfml app) on two of my 64 bit machines where I don't have properly compiled 64-bit dlls and libs for SFML (it doesn't seem to work with the 32 bit libs), but not on my 32 bit machine.

amdlintuxos

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2011, 08:59:55 pm »
MarsCoreTeam
awesome work!

PhiLLe

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2011, 06:20:48 pm »
I am trying to compile on windows but I can't do it. You cmake file does not do everything by itself.

After some time I found this in cmake\modules\FindSFML.cmake:
# If SFML is not installed in a standard path, you can use the SFMLDIR CMake variable
# to tell CMake where SFML is.

It's quiet hidden, don't you think? But it works.

But then I get this:
CMake Error: The following variables are used in this project, but they are set to NOTFOUND.
Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the CMake files:
FRIBIDI_LIBRARY
    linked by target "mars" in directory C:/Users/Philipp/Documents/C++/MARS/src
TAG_LIBRARY
    linked by target "mars" in directory C:/Users/Philipp/Documents/C++/MARS/src

This should not happen, since you provide those in your package.
So am I just suppose to provide the paths to those libs? I only found .dll's in the ext_libs_for_windows dir. I don't think I can link against those with MinGW? Do I have to build both libs by myself?

Edit:
Alright! I made it!
I build both libs (fribidi + taglib) by myself and installed them to my MinGW dir. I am sure I could have used the .dlls that are in the MARS folder but I wanted to have a clean build so I made sure everything is right.
Now I don't want to set the SFMLDIR. So I edited FindSFML.cmake so it can find my SFML build in my MinGW dir.

This is what I changed to make it work each time:
Code: [Select]
Index: cmake/modules/FindSFML.cmake
===================================================================
--- cmake/modules/FindSFML.cmake (Revision 200)
+++ cmake/modules/FindSFML.cmake (Arbeitskopie)
@@ -31,7 +31,8 @@
           /opt/local/  # DarwinPorts
           /opt/csw/    # Blastwave
           /opt/
-          ${SFMLDIR})
+          ${SFMLDIR}
+          C:/MinGW)

# check the version number
 set(SFML_VERSION_OK TRUE)
@@ -68,7 +69,8 @@
                         /opt/local
                         /opt/csw
                         /opt
-                        ${SFMLDIR})
+                        ${SFMLDIR}
+                        C:/MinGW)
 foreach(FIND_SFML_COMPONENT ${SFML_FIND_COMPONENTS})
     string(TOLOWER ${FIND_SFML_COMPONENT} FIND_SFML_COMPONENT_LOWER)
     string(TOUPPER ${FIND_SFML_COMPONENT} FIND_SFML_COMPONENT_UPPER)
Index: CMakeLists.txt
===================================================================
--- CMakeLists.txt (Revision 200)
+++ CMakeLists.txt (Arbeitskopie)
@@ -29,7 +29,7 @@
 include_directories(${OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR})

# find the sfml2 headers and library
-find_package(SFML REQUIRED graphics system audio window)
+find_package(SFML REQUIRED audio graphics window system)
 include_directories(${SFML_INCLUDE_DIR})

# Foundation library needed for apple
@@ -46,7 +46,7 @@
  find_library(TAG_LIBRARY tag)

# Fribidi library needed for bi-directional texts
- find_library(FRIBIDI_LIBRARY fribidi)
+ find_library(FRIBIDI_LIBRARY fribidi-0)

# set the executable output path
 if(APPLE)

Btw: I love your game!

Haze

• View Profile
    • Github Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2011, 12:56:32 am »
Awesome game, one of the best sfml-based I've seen.
I especially enjoyed the gravity-logic-stuff, it's really impressive when playing in "Grave-itation Pit" mode.

Some suggestions:
Why limit the map to the screen size ? It's quite narrow and it's confusing sometimes with all these ships and planets in the same little place. You could make it larger than the screen and keep the view centered on the player.

Also, nice work on the GUI (tabs, color picker, ...), it's very clean and easy to use.

chrusty

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2011, 02:03:05 pm »
Awesome game guys, its also very valuable for anyone trying to learn a bit of game programming, keep up the great work!

anything