Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Is SFML Good for This type game?  (Read 5137 times)

nevets_19

• View Profile
Is SFML Good for This type game?
« on: January 09, 2011, 06:05:07 pm »
Hi all, i wanna make a top down game abit like zelda oracles of ages/Seasons (i have the sprites for that and its an awsome game)

Also Would SFML be good for making games like scorched and other side tank games

thanks, Nevets_19

Terrydil

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 06:42:14 pm »
Yep, SFML would work fine.

Groogy

• MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 07:23:18 pm »
SFML will work for any game. SFML is only a multimedia library and not a game engine. So SFML only provides the basics for a graphical application which means you can create any game you want :)
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio

nevets_19

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 04:10:00 am »
Thanks guys,

I tryed to make a zelda  top down game like that in visual basic 6 but the animation was hard to do, also i couldn't make the screen pan (with collisions on the parts i couldn't see) so i needed to have lots of different forms and wen i reach the edge of 1 form it opens another. r u able to make the camera follow your character and still have collisions with stuff that isn't on the screen to start with,

eg.the screen starts in a town, i walk up to revel a different part of the town, i could do this in visual basic 6 but there was no collisions on this part as i couldn't state the co-ordinates to collide.

does sfml provide a better collision system in this case

Terrydil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 04:50:46 am »
I don't know anything about visual basic so I can't compare but...

what you want is totally possibly in SFML.  OpenGL (which SFML uses) provides infinite space in all directions, so the 'world' (map, whatever) can be as big or as small as you want.  Then you can choose to display some or all of it and can easily change what you are viewing.

Look at sf::View.  You can think of it as a camera which you control and you can point it at certain parts of the world you have created.  So yes, you can have the camera move as the player moves.  Even if there are parts of the world you can't see (because you are pointing the camera somewhere else) everything still has a position in the world.  Does that make sense?

nevets_19

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 06:11:19 am »
Yeah, i was hoping that it provided that feature because i am quite a big fan of top down games and it was soo hard to do in visual basic

Terrydil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 06:17:52 am »
Honestly its not really a "feature", any game engine/multimedia library I'm aware of lets you do stuff like that.  Thats the basic model of computer graphics, although I guess if you couldn't control the view it would be a pain.  Either way, good luck and have fun. :)

nevets_19

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 10:24:03 am »
Thanks, i am trying to encourage my friend to learn it as-well, he doesn't wanna though

anything