Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Clashing Cubes  (Read 3305 times)

DualEntity

• MSN Messenger - dualentity[at]live[dot]com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - aim[at]dualentit
    • View Profile
Clashing Cubes
« on: August 14, 2011, 01:33:40 am »
Clashing Cubes is my first released project in C++ using a mixture of the SFML and OGL API's for music/sound/input/graphics. It was designed for the purpose of entering it into a small forum based competition revolving around the them of limited assets (came in first place, yay).

It's a fast-paced puzzle game with a small dash of strategy based gameplay.

There are three types of cubes: 1hp, 2hp, and explosive.
Explosive Cubes damage all cubes in the perimeter by 1hp, and if a cube falls below 1hp, then it is destroyed.
The ultimate goal of the game is to control the majority of the board before it is filled up.

There were quite a few ideas that I didn't get to implement due to time constraints, but if this interests you then please feel free to download the full release below, and if you have any issues or wish to leave feedback about how you liked the project, feel free to post here so we can get things situated.

http://www.dualentity.com/games/clashing-cubes.zip (Windows)
http://www.dualentity.com/games/clashing-cubes.tar.gz (Linux)

NOTICE

For windows users, the project does require the 2008 VC++ redistributable which you can find here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=29

For windows users, some ATI Radeon cards have had this issue with SFML, and if you have issues running the game but have the VC++, please include the .dll in the release folder, which you can download here: http://www.dualentity.com/games/fixes/atigktxx.zip

Ninjaboi

• View Profile
    • http://www.ninjasoftcorp.webs.com/index.html
Clashing Cubes
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 03:03:36 am »
Great job! Love the basic puzzle style of it, along with the clean and professional title screen/game-play. Being able to choose the color of your cube also adds to it :).

*Thumbs up*

DualEntity

• View Profile
Clashing Cubes
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 03:16:54 pm »
If anyone's tried it, I would love to have your opinion of the project. Regardless if they are bad or not.  :wink:

Also, thanks Ninjaboi for the positive comments. :D

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Clashing Cubes
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 04:53:55 pm »
Interesting gameplay. But I have the impression that it is a little bit tedious, the progress is very slow due to the many bombs.

Apart from that, just some ideas:
  • You should provide a possibility to navigate backwards in the menu. First, I accidentally clicked the wrong game mode and tried to get back with escape, whereupon the game quit. And inside a game, I haven't found a possibility to go back to menu, either.
  • Maybe some animations or highlighted fields to see clearly where the player and the computer put their blocks.
  • A short in-game explanation of the objective (and not only the controls)
  • Support the mouse wheel to choose the block, additional to up and down arrow keys
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

DualEntity

• View Profile
Clashing Cubes
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 07:32:52 pm »
Quote from: "Nexus"
Interesting gameplay. But I have the impression that it is a little bit tedious, the progress is very slow due to the many bombs.

Apart from that, just some ideas:
  • You should provide a possibility to navigate backwards in the menu. First, I accidentally clicked the wrong game mode and tried to get back with escape, whereupon the game quit. And inside a game, I haven't found a possibility to go back to menu, either.
  • Maybe some animations or highlighted fields to see clearly where the player and the computer put their blocks.
  • A short in-game explanation of the objective (and not only the controls)
  • Support the mouse wheel to choose the block, additional to up and down arrow keys

Thank you for your input. ^^

The first bullet is something I definitely need to implement.
The other 3 bullets are actually things that I planned on implementing in the next version of the game which is currently being developed.

Although, a few of these things I had wanted to put in but couldn't due to lack of time. :p (animations, ability to show where cubes were placed at the time that they were. User-friendly tutorial.

I had not even taken into account the first bullet point problem, so thank you very much for pointing that out.

I appreciate you trying my game, Nexus.  :D