Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Premake Build System for SFML  (Read 8015 times)

CodeRarity

• View Profile
    • Email
Premake Build System for SFML
« on: September 12, 2011, 04:20:44 am »
Hi,

I'm building a project with SFML using Premake as my build system. Since Premake is super cool, I figured other people would also want to use Premake with SFML in their projects. Premake is a great build system, and it makes it really easy to build cross-platform configurations. SFML support for that only makes it far better.

It makes me sad that everyone is adopting CMake when we have Premake. I shall still make the best of it, however, and I hope you will also.

I'm going to release this under the ZLib license, the same thing SFML uses (amazing license). I don't know if this is even legal, since it's got some SFML stuff in it, but I think it is. If it's not legal, or moral, or anything, tell me. I'm just trying to (over)protect myself.

It's kind of just a template right now. There's a bunch of information in the comments, so read them. This is just kind of me sharing a file right now, but it can be more in the future. I'm not going to go to those measures unless someone actually cares.

Well, here's the code. Have fun. (I know you will!)

Klaim

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 11:36:41 am »
Hi, I'm with you about the sadness of Cmake being used so widely while Premake seems more fit to the task. That said, I know that Premake doesn't have yet enough features to be a killer in the domain, but I really really hope that it will soon.

Because CMake is just such APITA..... it sometimes makes me want to cry.  :x

.teri

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 01:37:44 pm »
I don't like CMake. I prefer scons or waf. I watched Premake and is yet another underrated build system. I don't know what people see in CMake...

Elgan

• AOL Instant Messenger - Flat+1,+17+st+Cl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 09:33:07 am »
tried cmake for 2.0,. didnt really like it, probably as my siystem is so messed up.

this looks interesting. Thank you for sharing, will it build 2.0?

OniLinkPlus

• View Profile
Re: Premake Build System for SFML
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 05:23:49 am »
Quote from: "CodeRarity"
I'm going to release this under the ZLib license, the same thing SFML uses (amazing license). I don't know if this is even legal, since it's got some SFML stuff in it, but I think it is. If it's not legal, or moral, or anything, tell me. I'm just trying to (over)protect myself.
Zlib gives permission for you to do whatever you want with it so long as you don't remove the license and you don't [explicitly] claim you wrote the original code.
I use the latest build of SFML2

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 03:53:30 pm »
Removing the license is okay for binary distributions.

TheJames

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 11:46:53 pm »
It seems your code has 404'ed. Would you mind reposting it?

OniLinkPlus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 12:31:00 am »
It 404'd. D:
I use the latest build of SFML2

aBallofWin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 03:45:44 pm »
Cheers for posting about Premake! really hate Cmake haha

caracal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 02:10:10 am »
Yahh I am going to have to second that Cmake totaly sucks I also use premake. But I take it a bit further I convert my distros packages build scripts
to premake :) The latest one that I did was Poco C++ libs. SFML2 will be the next one I convert over to premake once it's stable.

nickgravelyn

• View Profile
Re: Premake Build System for SFML
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 09:53:07 pm »
Sorry for bringing back this old thread, but I also wanted a Premake system for SFML2 so I started one today:

https://gist.github.com/nickgravelyn/5521949

It's not going to work for shared libraries on Linux or OS X due to not having the right links set up (I don't have Linux and haven't worked on it on my Mac yet), but it works for both static and dynamic libraries for Win32 x86 and x64. Should be pretty easy to fix up Linux and OS X builds.

Hopefully this helps out others looking to use Premake to build SFML as part of their projects.

anything