Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Airport  (Read 20527 times)

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Airport
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 06:30:37 pm »
Thanks for testing it!

I continued the discussion about high resolution textures here.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

greeniekin

• View Profile
Airport
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 08:06:59 am »
fantastic game. very very hard. The max i got was 84. When ever I route a plane near edge of screen it's like the game knows to spawn something that will crash with it straight away. If you did do that then your pure evil lol.

One thing is the flashing black bars on the edge of the screen telling you a plane will spawn there. I originally thought it was a rendering glitch. Maybe if it was a warning color or something it would help identify it. Like the striped black and yellow warning pattern.
Here is a picture of what I mean.

That that is nitpicking everything looks great and I actually like it in it's cartoon form rather than real images. The particle effects look really good as well.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Airport
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 03:15:22 pm »
Thanks a lot, greeniekin! I'm glad you like the graphics. And the idea with the edge pattern is a very good one. I wonder you even noticed the bars ;)

Airport v1.2.1 released!

Changes:
  • Fixed bug with sound effects not playing
  • Fixed bug with too large textures
  • Allowed full screen only if resolution is supported
  • Added F4 option to change the music volume
  • Used black-yellow "factory" bars on the edge as plane warning
SFML Game Development:

keyforge

• View Profile
Airport
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 05:29:12 pm »
Hey, great looking game! I did have a lot of bugs with the windowing though.

When I opened the app the window wouldn't open up (it stayed hidden and I couldn't open it by clicking the icon on the taskbar), but hovering over the Icon (Windows 7) I could see the application running. I also could get it to work by making it fullscreen in v1.2, but this doesn't work in v1.2.1 because of the new update. Fullscreen doesn't seem to support 1366x768 resolution (which I recommend since it's a common resolution for laptops and lcd screens!) There was a large black area on right of screen, and it seemed to be cutting out some of the graphics on the top and bottom on v1.2.

I'll try this on Linux Ubuntu 64 bit, and I have an ATI Radeon Mobility 4100 if that makes a difference (I know how SFML and ATI Graphics cards sometimes have issues...)
Need a place to upload your code, files or screenshots? Use SFML Uploads!

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Airport
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 05:55:46 pm »
Thank you!

Quote from: "keyforge"
When I opened the app the window wouldn't open up (it stayed hidden and I couldn't open it by clicking the icon on the taskbar), but hovering over the Icon (Windows 7) I could see the application running.
I have no idea what could be the reason for this. I use a frame limit such that the game doesn't waste the whole processor time, but it should be high enough to catch events (40 times per second). I first had VSync enabled, it didn't seem to work correctly though... Has anyone ever encountered a similar issue?

Fullscreen doesn't seem to support 1366x768 resolution (which I recommend since it's a common resolution for laptops and lcd screens!)
The resolution is currently fixed at 1280x800. The problem is, the difficulty varies strongly with the field size... To keep the game equally fair for different people, I would either have to stretch everything or draw a black border (but then there's no real advantage over windowed mode). Any ideas?

and I have an ATI Radeon Mobility 4100 if that makes a difference
I don't know, the computers on which I tested Airport only have NVIDIA cards. But some (all?) issues with ATI cards have been fixed in SFML.
SFML Game Development:

keyforge

• View Profile
Airport
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 09:06:52 pm »
Well, you could create textures for the largest screen resolution of widescreen (16:9) and normal (4:3), and then scale them down for the smaller resolutions.

greeniekin

• View Profile
Airport
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 02:49:33 am »
I like the new warning bars on the sides. Originally I thought it would be good to help identify it's function. Though it also helps a lot in noticing them. I found before I would not notice some of the black bars flickering, but now I never miss them.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Airport
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 02:44:18 pm »
Well, you could create textures for the largest screen resolution of widescreen (16:9) and normal (4:3), and then scale them down for the smaller resolutions.
That's an idea. I could also use the current desktop resolution in fullscreen, and just set the view to the visible area. Then the graphics are not 100% sharp, but I think this is anyway hard to achieve with pixel graphics in different resolutions. Or the application renders new textures dynamically...

Concerning the windowing issue: I have compiled the SFML 2 examples with Visual Studio 2010. Do their executables work at you?

Quote from: "greeniekin"
I like the new warning bars on the sides. Originally I thought it would be good to help identify it's function. Though it also helps a lot in noticing them. I found before I would not notice some of the black bars flickering, but now I never miss them.
Indeed, I see them much more often, too.
SFML Game Development:

keyforge

• View Profile
Airport
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 07:28:05 pm »
They all work on my PC.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Airport
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2011, 08:11:28 pm »
Thanks for testing! Then it's indeed no SFML or compilation issue. I will take a deeper look at my code...

Any ideas what might cause this issue are of course welcome! :)
SFML Game Development:

Naufr4g0

• View Profile
Airport
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2011, 09:51:49 pm »
The game still doesn't work for me! :(

If I press F2 key the game starts and I can hear sounds.
I don't think it was a texture size issue, 'cause I can see the game in the preview window of the toolbar in both versions.
Maybe it's a window initialization issue..
There's a key for fullscreen?

Lee R

• View Profile
Airport
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2011, 09:56:39 pm »
Hi,

I wasn't able to play. None of the F keys worked (i.e. nothing happened when I pressed them) and the background image wasn't displayed properly:
http://i54.tinypic.com/3eozo.png

Graphics card : NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
Screen resolution : 1440x900

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Airport
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2011, 11:19:31 pm »
Thank you both for the feedback. I think it's all connected with this windowing bug keyforge had, I still have to figure out what may cause it.

F3 would be a key for fullscreen, but in version 1.2.1 I disabled it if the resolution 1280x800 isn't supported in fullscreen mode. But I try to make this more flexible.
SFML Game Development:

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Airport
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2011, 01:29:17 pm »
Lee R:
I don't know how why this happens. Do you have the most recent drivers and correct DLLs (for OpenAL, libsndfile and Microsoft Visual 2010 Runtime)? Are the DLLs from my homepage? And do the compiled SFML examples some posts above work at you?

keyforge and Naufr4g0:
After testing several computers, I have finally found one where I could reproduce the bug. The application appears in the taskbar, but no window pops up. And very likely, this happens because my window resolution (1280x800) is higher than the desktop resolution. Looks like all bugs are about problematic sizes :D

One more reason to allow different resolutions. I think I'm going to scale the textures for the time being, so that the game is at least playable. In the future, I can still implement more beautiful solutions... So it seems like I have to write a GUI to choose the resolution, although I originally wanted to avoid that and keep the game simple ;)
SFML Game Development:

Naufr4g0

• View Profile
Airport
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2011, 03:35:28 pm »
Quote from: "Nexus"
Lee R:
keyforge and Naufr4g0:
After testing several computers, I have finally found one where I could reproduce the bug. The application appears in the taskbar, but no window pops up. And very likely, this happens because my window resolution (1280x800) is higher than the desktop resolution. Looks like all bugs are about problematic sizes :D

I found out that I have the same bug when, in my sfml games, I tried to open a window larger than screen resolution. :)
The max resolution of my laptop is 1366x768 with an aspect ratio of 16:9.
Can't you use sfml views to zoom out the game window?

anything