Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Airport  (Read 20678 times)

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Airport
« on: October 04, 2011, 02:36:31 pm »

Hello!

Airport is a game in which you have to guide airplanes to their airfield. New planes appear on the screen every few seconds, your job is to coordinate their routes and to prevent them from colliding. The difficulty constantly increases as the time interval between arriving planes becomes shorter and shorter. How long will you survive?

Some scenes from the game:

I developed this game last winter, recently I improved it and prepared it for public release. Originally, I used realistic graphics (a real landscape). Due to licenses, I had to paint my own graphics. I hope you like them :)

The game is free and can be downloaded at my homepage. At the moment, there is only a Windows version. I am going to see if I can port the code to Linux.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Disch

• View Profile
Airport
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 04:28:43 pm »
This is pretty awesome.  Surprisingly difficult!

I like the graphics, too.

EDIT:  I got to 72!

Haikarainen

Airport
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 05:16:18 pm »
This looks really cool, bookmarking this page to try it out when I have time!

Annoying to hear about the licensing issue, damn greedy people :p Graphics looks OK tho, but i'm sure that the game would be so much cooler if it had realistic graphics, cant you find some free satellite imagery or something?

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Airport
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 09:52:18 pm »
I tried but all I could get is a black window :P

My system has no sound, but unless you're doing something specific it shouldn't prevent the game from running.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Airport
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 10:22:14 pm »
Thanks for trying it! :)

Laurent, that's strange. What system are you using? Could there be a problem with a resolution of 1280x800 (even though the game starts in windowed mode)? As far as I know, I don't do anything specific, but I could try to disable sound. Or forward the console output to a log file...
SFML Game Development:

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Airport
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 10:36:03 pm »
My system is Windows 7, with a GeForce 7800 graphics card.

Could there be a problem with a resolution of 1280x800 (even though the game starts in windowed mode)?

1280 is my desktop width, so if you add the decorations your window is slightly larger. But as far as I know, there's a problem only if the height of the window is greater than the desktop.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Airport
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 10:44:33 pm »
I could decrease the resolution, but then it only gets more difficult for you :D

I try to write a version with a slightly smaller resolution (maybe 1024x768), no sound and some logging facility. At least if you have time to test it ;)
SFML Game Development:

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Airport
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 10:48:12 pm »
At least if you have time to test it

Sure ;)

Disch

• View Profile
Airport
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 04:12:50 am »
Every once in a while the sound effects just stop and I have to restart the program to get them going again.

Also you should lower the music volume or give an option to turn it off.  I need to hear the sfx, but the music is driving me nuts.

Also got to 100!

EDIT:  also, more than a few times my planes didn't land on the runway even though they should have  =(

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Airport
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 10:17:41 am »
Quote from: "Disch"
Every once in a while the sound effects just stop and I have to restart the program to get them going again.
I already had this bug one day, but I thought I fixed it... I think I should reimplement the sound completely, as soon as I get to it.

Also you should lower the music volume or give an option to turn it off.  I need to hear the sfx, but the music is driving me nuts.
Ok :D
By the way, you can also replace music.ogg with some music you like (or just an empty file).

Also got to 100!
Wow, not bad :shock:
My high score was 91.

also, more than a few times my planes didn't land on the runway even though they should have
Hm, this hasn't ever happened at me. Are you sure they should have landed? The angle and alignment of the planes must match the airfield's quite exactly. And you did land the planes on the right side of the right runway? ;)
SFML Game Development:

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Airport
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 10:53:37 pm »
I think I have spotted the bug: Some elements of my std::queue<sf::Sound> have been erased while they were playing. This could have lead to an access violation or similar in OpenAL.

Presumably, I am going to release a patched version 1.2.1... Are there other requests or bug reports?

By the way, I have now compiled Airport for Linux.
SFML Game Development:

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
Airport
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 08:28:07 am »
Good job! The Linux version runs without a problem, reached 89 points in the first try.

I still miss the possibility to assign altitudes to separate incoming traffic vertically. But I think I'm a little bit swayed by virtual real-life ATC simulations. ;)

Naufr4g0

• View Profile
Airport
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 04:56:52 pm »
Windows version (Win7): the game doesn't work for me!

I can see the game window on the preview of the toolbar, but the window of the game won't open!

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Airport
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 05:13:52 pm »
Quote from: "Tank"
I still miss the possibility to assign altitudes to separate incoming traffic vertically.
Wouldn't that miss the point of the game? To keep the difficulty, I would have to increase the traffic. And I think that different heights may become difficult to draw and to imagine in a 2D world ;)

Quote from: "Naufr4g0"
I can see the game window on the preview of the toolbar, but the window of the game won't open!
This seems to be a similar problem as Laurent's, apparently something with the initialization fails. I have a suspicion: The texture size of the background image and of the logo might be too big for some graphic cards. I should probably split them. By the way, this feature is a good candidate for Thor... And a good example to show the advantage of separate sf::Image and sf::Texture.

Anyway, thanks a lot for all the feedback! And sorry for the bugs, it's the first game I publish :?
SFML Game Development:

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Airport
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 06:11:11 pm »
The 1024x768 version works for me, so it was definitely a resolution problem (bigger than desktop).

anything