Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Seiken Densetsu/Mana Fan Game [WIP]  (Read 21783 times)

kaB00M

• View Profile
    • Caffeware
    • Email
Seiken Densetsu/Mana Fan Game [WIP]
« on: February 19, 2012, 04:58:50 am »
UPDATE:2/3/2013

Hi everyone. I update the demo once again.
Some new pics.

DOWNLOAD:
http://www.caffeware.com/download_current.php

CONTROLS:

Ability : Press Cancel button.
Run : Double tap forward.
Open Ringmenu : Press Cancel and Confirm buttons.
Attack: Trigger Confirm button.

Use can use the KEYS.exe located in the game folder to map the controls to the keyboard keys.
A standard gamepad can be used to play the game. However, buttons can't be set for the gamepad.

New features:
  • Title screen
  • Ability System
  • Level/Exp points system
  • Save/Load system
  • Simple events
  • New enemies and locations
  • Increased performance

Still lots to do.  :-\

Please tell me what you think!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE:10/29/2012

Hi everyone. I update the demo a little. Now you can use magics and items.

The "engine" was re-made and now uses SFML 2.0

The file size is under 8.0 MB. Thanks to zlib! :-)

DOWNLOAD:
http://www.caffeware.com/download_current.php

CONTROLS:

Run : Press Cancel button.
Open Ringmenu : Press Cancel and Confirm buttons.
Attack: Trigger Confirm button.

Use can use the KEYS.exe located in the game folder to map the controls to the keyboard keys.

A standard gamepad can be used to play the game. However, buttons can't be set for the gamepad.

Field map:
Use the Direction keys to move the character.
To attack, use the Confirm key.
To run press and hold the Cancel key while using the Direction keys.
Finally, press and hold both the Confirm and Cancel keys to open the Ringmenu.

Ringmenu:
The Ringmenu is used to select healing items, to change the controlled character, and to select and use magics. The battle will keep running while the Ringmenu is open. If the character with the Ringmenu is hit by an enemy, the Ringmenu will automatically be closed.

The cotrols for the Ringmenu are the following:
Direction keys Left and Right to rotate among the icons available.
Directions keys Up and Down to change rings.
The Confirm key is used for selecting the icons. In some cases when selecting an icon, the Handcursor will appear. With the Handcursor you can select allies or foes depending on current ring.
The Cancel key will close the Ringmenu.

MAGICS:
At the moment, only the Tamber character can use magics. There are various magics, each with different reactions. For example, one will hit a single enemy, while other will hit multiple. Try them all and discover the different effects!

OBJETIVES:
The characters DO NOT earn experience points or gain levels. Nevertheless you can 'farm' items and can earn money in order to buy in the shops. A good inventory will be necessary when encountering a 'mysterious' someone!

Please tell me what you think!

---------------------------------------------
OLD VERSION!!!
---------------------------------------------

Tell me what you think. Even more if it sucks. :D
Move->Arrow keys; Confirm/attack->Enter; Cancel->Numpad0;
Open RINGMENU-> press:Confirm and Cancel
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 04:09:28 pm by kaB00M »

StormWingDelta

• View Profile
Seiken Densetsu/Mana Fan Game [DEMO] UPDATE:2/21/2012
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 05:45:47 am »
I can't test the demo at the moment but from the images and the name it looks like it was inspired by Children Of Mana of something similar anyways.

Did you get the monster sprites from a site because they look was too similar to the ones in that game?  Just asking. :)

Also your file is more than small enough to fit on SFML Uploads if you want. http://www.sfmluploads.org
I have many ideas but need the help of others to find way to make use of them.

kaB00M

• View Profile
    • Caffeware
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 07:08:48 am »
Thanks for checking it out.

Quote from: "StormWingDelta"

Did you get the monster sprites from a site because they look was too similar to the ones in that game?  Just asking. :)

Actually, Square Enix had been recycling this sprites for more than a decade!!!

They been used in:
Seiken Densetsu 3 (1995)
Sword of mana
Children of mana
Heroes of mana
Secret of mana remake (2009)

I got them from spriters-resource.com.

StormWingDelta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 05:25:53 pm »
Here are a few ideas for changes.

One of the AI players just stands still most likely because an AI isn't assigned to it.

Move your attack key(s) to the letters of the keyboard instead of the numpad since they are too close to the arrow keys and make it hard to attack and move at the same time. :)

Also if you are able why not increase the screen size so it is easier to see what is going on?  You're probably stuck with small maps but it would be easy to blow them up in something like Paint.Net or PhotoShop.  This would make you have to recalculate a few things though but it isn't as bad as it looks.

Aside from that it looks like it is going well for this type of game. :)

kaB00M

• View Profile
    • Caffeware
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 08:21:35 pm »
Thanks for the checking my game out!!!!
Also if you are able why not increase the screen size so it is easier to see what is going on? You're probably stuck with small maps but it would be easy to blow them up in something like Paint.Net or PhotoShop. This would make you have to recalculate a few things though but it isn't as bad as it looks.

You can actually enlarge the window!!!! It will zoom everything.

About the guy in the turban: He's a npc. Later on he will sell items and weapons. That's why he doesn't move.

Thanks again for checking my game.
I can pm you with the newest version later, when I make significant changes and add menus and such, if you don't mind.

Thanks.

StormWingDelta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 08:41:57 pm »
If you want to. :)

For some reason me, CMake and SFML2 aren't getting along. I can't do anything but watch what people make with SFML2 at the moment. :(

kaB00M

• View Profile
    • Caffeware
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 11:59:42 pm »
Small update:
Added RINGMENU!!
Added Sounds!!
Changed the controls a little:
Move->Arrow keys; Confirm/attack->Enter; Cancel->Numpad0;
Open RINGMENU-> press:Confirm and Cancel

kaB00M

• View Profile
    • Caffeware
    • Email
Re: Seiken Densetsu/Mana Fan Game [DEMO]
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 08:15:36 pm »
update bumb !!!

masskiller

• Pointers to Functions rock!
    • MSN Messenger - kyogre_jb@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Seiken Densetsu/Mana Fan Game [DEMO] UPDATE:2/21/2012
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 10:04:04 pm »
Gonna try it since it seems nice. I'll post whatever I can see to help you make it better.

Also if you are able why not increase the screen size so it is easier to see what is going on?  You're probably stuck with small maps but it would be easy to blow them up in something like Paint.Net or PhotoShop.  This would make you have to recalculate a few things though but it isn't as bad as it looks.

I am working with pixel art so I know how much of a pain this really is. Other than enlarging the window I wouldn't expect anything further, it's too much work for what you really get in the end.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 10:09:26 pm by masskiller »
Programmer, Artist, Composer and Storyline/Script Writer of "Origin of Magic". If all goes well this could turn into a commercial project!

Finally back into the programming world!

masskiller

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 12:28:32 am »
Crashes on start, it appears it can't compile some shaders according to the log. The setkeys works fine though.
Programmer, Artist, Composer and Storyline/Script Writer of "Origin of Magic". If all goes well this could turn into a commercial project!

StormWingDelta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 01:51:27 am »
Lets see a menu of some kind would be helpful that at least has the controls in it.

Speaking of the controls why not make it so someone can use the wasd keys for moving around too? That way someone can have on hand on the movement keys and one on the attack and command keys.  Makes it easier to move fast if you run into someone that likes to speed through games.

Also since you're adding items why not an inventory of some kind? Might help since this could give you a use for a mouse if needed.

Just ideas. :)

Found a crash error in the lower part of town isn't there when you first start up but after a few minutes and restarts it pops up.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 02:08:35 am by StormWingDelta »

masskiller

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 02:28:35 am »
Regarding controls I prefer the emulator type, using arrow keys for movement and z and x representing the acceptance/denial/action buttons. But the SETKEYS.exe allows you to do that I think. I don't know since I haven't even been able to run it.

StormWingDelta

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 02:52:21 am »
lol it runs for me. Might be something to do with the computer since the game itself can run. ???

Here's a run way to test.  Programming lab of a school.  8)  Although I have yet to have the time to wait for an application to fully start up that has a graphics window on a school computer.

kaB00M

• View Profile
    • Caffeware
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 04:11:37 am »
Crashes on start, it appears it can't compile some shaders according to the log. The setkeys works fine though.

What!? Thats sad... :-[ I tested it in two comps and it runs. In the next update I will disable the shaders to see if you can run it.

Can you give me a quote of what the log says?

Lets see a menu of some kind would be helpful that at least has the controls in it.

Speaking of the controls why not make it so someone can use the wasd keys for moving around too? That way someone can have on hand on the movement keys and one on the attack and command keys.  Makes it easier to move fast if you run into someone that likes to speed through games.

Also since you're adding items why not an inventory of some kind? Might help since this could give you a use for a mouse if needed.

Just ideas. :)

Found a crash error in the lower part of town isn't there when you first start up but after a few minutes and restarts it pops up.

Can you be more expecific about the crash? Also, did you went all the way to the 'end'.

You can choose whichever key you want with the SETKEYS program. Anyways, I agree there should be a way to set the keys from  within the game...

Regarding controls I prefer the emulator type, using arrow keys for movement and z and x representing the acceptance/denial/action buttons. But the SETKEYS.exe allows you to do that I think. I don't know since I haven't even been able to run it.

True!

Thanks for playing guys.  :)

StormWingDelta

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 04:55:21 am »
Not too sure about the crash myself. it happend right when I crossed the bridge to the building down at the lower area of the town after about 2 to 5min of wondering around.

Just wondering how many areas do you have working since the only ones I could get into were the town and forest. Speaking of the forest, when you first enter it there's a massive lag spike that it calms down.

Also when the town first loads at the start the other AI characters you talk to aren't in it, but when you leave and come back they are.  Just seems odd for some reason.

anything