Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Endaeva - A Universe-Sandbox RPG!  (Read 14114 times)

SoulBlade

• View Profile
Endaeva - A Universe-Sandbox RPG!
« on: June 02, 2012, 10:47:38 pm »
UPDATE 6/11/2012:
Gameplay video showing new lighting experiment:

Description:

Endaeva is a tale of death, rebirth, and evolution.  It follows the progression of an alien race of creatures powered by the stars themselves.  You are one of those creatures, a newborn, pitted to survive and grow among the old iterations.  There is only one goal on your mind: become strong enough to be the first to journey towards the center of the largest glowing light in the sky.

This game is about possibilities without bounds.  Most games limit you to a linear world and a controlled path.  I wanted a game where there were no such restrictions.  Where I could fly into the air and not hit an invisible wall; indeed, where I could fly from the ground into space and beyond.  A game where the points of light in the sky were more than just points of light, but destinations to explore with intrigue.  Where nothing is off limits, not even the most dangerous of objects.  With this in mind, my game arose.

No one example can describe what I've already made and what I envision, but throughout my life I've been inspired by great classics such as Megaman X, Supermetroid, Digger, Castlevania, R-Type, Final Fantasy Series, Terranigma, and others.

Elements from many of those greats along with alot of my own unique ideas all come together in Endaeva.

If you like what you see, and would like to know more, I've began a kickstarter to raise funds for this game and get a feel for the interest of it:

--------------------------------------------------------

Here are some key, unique, interesting features:

Fully modular character system

Fully destructible, persistent universe, filled with worlds

Enemies that drop every component that they are, giving you the chance of acquiring it

Intriguing back-story.  Though my game is not story-centered, I still want to make it make sense.

Massive variety of gear to loot and acquire -- and in my game, more loot means more enemies!

Depth of an RPG, complexity of a simulation, all with the simplicity of a shooter

Unique character progression

The ability to seamless transition from the ground to the sky -- NO loading, NO starmaps!

Great depth in items to equip, include: Base body, arms, guns, boosters, wings, engines, physical shields, energy shields, swords, hammers, bipedal legs, hover systems, wheel systems, and MUCH more not yet developed but planned.

Variety of stats, including: 6 damage types with unique properties and armor to match each, recovery, regeneration, health, salvage ability, and more.

The ability to not worry about all those stats and still have fun!  

Gravity changes depending what world you're on, what location in the world you're on, and the environment.  Yes - you can get things in orbit on smaller bodies.  Yes, there is no gravity at the center of worlds.  Yes, if you dig a GIANT hole, you can enter an endless loop falling through each side .

And much more!

--------------------------------------------------------

Most importantly, I would love feedback on the video I've shared and opinions on the ideas I'm integrating into this game.

I am posting here first because I am using SFML as my graphics library, and I wanted to express my great appreciation for such a wonderful library, and I am proud to be using it in my game!

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback! :)

Thomas Pereira
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:49:01 am by SoulBlade »

StevenC

• View Profile
    • Corona Soft Development Blog
Re: Endaeva - A Universe-Sandbox RPG!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 12:05:36 am »
Ever since playing Daggerfall, I've always enjoyed the idea of playing a game with massive amounts of content. Although the game play isn't my usual preference, it definitely has my attention.

How do you intend to handle death/saving/loading etc?

Also, do the worlds just represent "backdrops" for the various "stages" or are there interesting things to explore in each world? They look like console RPG maps, but why would one want to dig through to the other side of a planet?

aBallofWin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 12:16:28 am »
Looks pretty cool :) If you want more exposure for your kickstarter project, why not go to reddit? It helped with Grim Dawn, could help you a lot!

SoulBlade

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 12:33:49 am »
Ever since playing Daggerfall, I've always enjoyed the idea of playing a game with massive amounts of content. Although the game play isn't my usual preference, it definitely has my attention.

How do you intend to handle death/saving/loading etc?

Also, do the worlds just represent "backdrops" for the various "stages" or are there interesting things to explore in each world? They look like console RPG maps, but why would one want to dig through to the other side of a planet?

Hi,

Death is already implemented and pretty simple.  When the game saves, it creates a waypoint.  I have various ideas atm on handling saving, but for now, a waypoint is created by user input.  When you die, you respawn at that waypoint with your character fully healed.  The idea is that you must progress to where you were again, so the challenge is primarily the time needed to get there.

There aren't really stages per se...its a game universe.  Those are entire worlds, and they are VERY large.  At the center of each world is a portal to an alternate dimension, which I will talk about at a later time.  The world will have lots of content to explore, including random treasures, random enemy spawns, and more.  The main thing about exploring the worlds is the configuration of enemies. 

You want to find enemies that are more powerful than yourself, destroy them, and upgrade your own character.  There are natural boundaries such as gravity and thermal heat levels that hold you back so upgrades are needed.

Also, space is currently empty, but that will not be the case soon.  So, this universe will be filled by the time I release.

You asked about stages and backdrops and I want to emphasize, there are no stages nor backdrops.  Those worlds being shown are real representations of the world you're entering.  The effect is sort of like entering a planet from space, in 2d.  The shape of the world you see from space is the same shape of the world you enter, and the colors and images used to represent it indicate the terrain composition.  That is important for factors relating to enemy spawning....

As for loading, it's a simple menu where you select the world you want to load.  The game ties a character to a world, so it isn't very complicated.

SoulBlade

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 12:34:43 am »
Looks pretty cool :) If you want more exposure for your kickstarter project, why not go to reddit? It helped with Grim Dawn, could help you a lot!

I'm not exactly sure what reddit is, but I will check it out!  Thanks for the feedback and suggest :)

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 04:53:27 pm »
Your project looks really incredible, it seems to me that the principle of "being wise and clever if you're an one man army" was applied to its fullest, i see a lot of potential, and i hope you succeed :)

SoulBlade

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 12:56:18 am »
Your project looks really incredible, it seems to me that the principle of "being wise and clever if you're an one man army" was applied to its fullest, i see a lot of potential, and i hope you succeed :)

Thanks.  My motivation has been hit pretty hard since I released and attempted funding.  I think I'm bad at going public with work, or something...it's frustrating.  I know people would enjoy what I'm making if I could just properly convey it.

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 02:51:21 pm »
Man, you can't let anything hit your pride for this one!You did an awesome work so far, and it will be even way better and more polished.

I know a lack of proper feedback or even time to create an hype can be demotivating, and dont let the funding create too much stress in you, just do your best with your time.

I wish you all the best luck with it, and if i can help in something just contact me :)

capz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 10:16:45 pm »

Thanks.  My motivation has been hit pretty hard since I released and attempted funding.  I think I'm bad at going public with work, or something...it's frustrating.  I know people would enjoy what I'm making if I could just properly convey it.

read the book "life's a pitch", we use it in uni and it can really open your eyes!
I did a quick google and this is it [ link ], in case you're interested and would like some more details.
Also, should you pick it up: don't read the second part. What that means.. you'll know when you get there :)

StevenC

• View Profile
    • Corona Soft Development Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 10:47:26 pm »

Hello Tom,

Don't get discouraged. I think you have great potential as a game designer and can't wait to see your completed game. Even if you don't succeed in getting the project funded this time around, you can always try again in the future.

I'd also be willing to help with the project.

-Steven

SoulBlade

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 12:57:15 am »
Man, you can't let anything hit your pride for this one!You did an awesome work so far, and it will be even way better and more polished.

I know a lack of proper feedback or even time to create an hype can be demotivating, and dont let the funding create too much stress in you, just do your best with your time.

I wish you all the best luck with it, and if i can help in something just contact me :)

Thanks man.  The difficulty with funding/reception hit me hard at first, but that won't stop me.  You're right; all that stuff really doesn't matter anyway.  What matters is just having fun making a game that can be enjoyed.

read the book "life's a pitch", we use it in uni and it can really open your eyes!
I did a quick google and this is it [ link ], in case you're interested and would like some more details.
Also, should you pick it up: don't read the second part. What that means.. you'll know when you get there :)

Looks pretty fascinating!  Thanks for the recommendation, I will add it to my reading list :)

Hello Tom,

Don't get discouraged. I think you have great potential as a game designer and can't wait to see your completed game. Even if you don't succeed in getting the project funded this time around, you can always try again in the future.

I'd also be willing to help with the project.

-Steven

Thank you, Steven.  Very true words.  Sometimes, those pesky emotions remove the logical reality in a situation.  I will keep your willingness to help in mind!

I appreciate the encouragement.  I took a break from trying to promote my work these past few days and added a cool lighting system.  It really adds alot to the feel of the game, take a look:

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 12:36:23 am »
I just wanted to ask: Are you planing on creating a website?
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

SoulBlade

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 01:30:30 am »
I just wanted to ask: Are you planing on creating a website?

Yes.  I just can't afford hosting at the moment.

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 01:57:54 am »
There are 10$/3month hosting around, for a simple web it should do :p

I'd like to add, the game name is amazing :D

SoulBlade

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 02:48:21 am »
There are 10$/3month hosting around, for a simple web it should do :p

I'd like to add, the game name is amazing :D

I don't think you understand.  I have no money.  I'm about to sell everything I own if I cannot land a job somewhere, and this project will be suspended until I do.  I had no intention of doing a Kickstarter for this project because I wanted to complete it before revealing anything about it, but my financial situation deteriorated so rapidly I had no choice if I wanted to continue it.

So no web hosting for me, until I can find a way to survive.

anything