Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML Game Development -- A book on SFML  (Read 258069 times)

Tuffywub

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: SFML Game Development -- A book on SFML
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 07:07:38 pm »
I purchased the eBook Kindle thing from Amazon. Its really good by the way. When you get the kindle version you can just put you email in at http://www.packtpub.com/support/12705 and you will get all the code emailed to you. You don't have to prove that you bought the book. Just put in your email, don't get their newsletter, and then enter the catch-pa. Once you hit the "go" button to the left of the catch-pa field, you will get an email within minutes with the downloadable code.

Once again, I've barely started the book but I'm loving it! :)

The Hatchet

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2013, 09:28:00 pm »
*throws $$ at screen*  Just take it all, HERE!  So I was him-hawin' about buying this and before I knew what was happening my debit card was out and now I have a print copy coming and am reading a digital copy.  I've enjoyed what I've read so far.

G.

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2013, 01:13:48 am »
Note that you can download source code without buying the book.

Artfloriani

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2013, 02:36:17 pm »
Wow, nice work guys!

Oh, does it explain how to create the structure of your game? Like how to handle inputs, render, update...

Thanks!

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2013, 02:45:08 pm »
Yes! It explains all those basics in chapter one, and then you have nine left :D

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2013, 03:16:47 pm »
Also from my side, thanks a lot for all the positive feedback! Really glad you like the book :)

Artfloriani, yes that's the focus of our book (besides teaching SFML): it shows a possible code design for your game. We often discuss the decisions we make and explain their advantages or disadvantages. The first chapter contains an introduction to SFML and game basics. The further chapters explain parts of the game architecture in detail, for example resource management, input handling, world/entity organization, menus, audio, ...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 03:22:21 pm by Nexus »
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Artfloriani

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2013, 03:37:15 pm »
Ok!

Thanks a lot, I loved the ebook concept.

Lethn

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2013, 06:04:07 pm »
So does this book get everyones' blessings then? With the price the ebook is at I'll definitely end up buying it at some point if it's all 2.0 code.

grymmjack

• View Profile
    • Soundgasm Design
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2013, 06:20:41 pm »
Bought the book. Thanks for writing it. I cannot find any of the source files, but I guess from other topics it's clear that they are in process of being uploaded?

The Hatchet

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2013, 06:54:18 pm »
I got it directly from Packtpub and on the left hand side of my completed transaction screen were the links to download the ebook and a download link for the source files, maybe you just missed the link?  Or if you bought through Amazon or somewhere else you gotta link your order to packts site or something.

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
AW: Re: SFML Game Development -- A book on SFML
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2013, 07:45:18 pm »
See a few pages earlier, someone provided the link, you can even get source without having bought the book/ebook.

So does this book get everyones' blessings then? With the price the ebook is at I'll definitely end up buying it at some point if it's all 2.0 code.
Yes, go for it. ;)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Lo-X

• View Profile
    • My personal website, with CV, portfolio and projects
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2013, 09:20:16 pm »
As I said on the French forums, I've read about 70% of the book and even if I already knew a lot of things inside it, I learned a lot others as well. My favorite part is how the entities communicate with the "command" element, that is a part that I always missed in my previous games.
I learned a lot about SFML/OpenGL as well and that is really a good thing.

I'm looking forward to go through the network part, that should be very interesting =)

I've read a lot of books about how to make a video game before. That is the one I prefer. It's clear, there are a lot of examples, if you don't get a part at first read, you get it at second, the examples are linked together and the final (game) goal is well defined. Perhaps my past exeperiences with SFML help me in understanding it, but it doesn't remove the clarity the authors manage to have.

Authors, the more I read the more I love you !

Lethn

• View Profile
Re: AW: Re: SFML Game Development -- A book on SFML
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2013, 09:57:59 pm »
See a few pages earlier, someone provided the link, you can even get source without having bought the book/ebook.

Yes, go for it. ;)

SOE and EA shall fear my wrath! BWHAHHAHAHAHHAAAAA!

io

• z/OS by day, SFML by night
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2013, 09:23:14 am »
Was very happy to see this mentioned on the main SFML page -- went ahead and bought it; looks like exactly what I'm looking for.

Very excited to read, and congratulations on the release!

[EDIT] Reading the PDF (which is great Packt included with my hard copy book... head start! :D)... so far... fantastic!  Work tomorrow (I guess today already since I am now in the AM's :P) is going to come to a crawl because I will be so eager to continue reading this =]].
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:11:14 am by io »

Lethn

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2013, 06:54:11 pm »
Just bought it and I'm reading through it now, it looks very promising, also, thank you for not being a complete bastard and putting DRM all over the .pdf file so I can store it and keep it offline. Too often I buy something digital only to discover if the internet goes down I can't even use it properly.

More developers just need to say no to DRM that doesn't even work.

Edit: The best thing about this book is on one of the very first sections it goes into a lot of detail about a problem I posted on these boards which is really nice :D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:22:05 pm by Lethn »

anything