Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML Game Jam  (Read 55524 times)

cpolymeris

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: SFML Game Jam
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 02:00:17 am »
A game jam would definitely be nice, but beware that the LD is soon, and I don't think too many of us would enjoy having two jams in a one week period. :p

LD is Aug. 23-26th

I suggest the week before that, Aug 16-18, one month from now, as tentative date. That way, it doubles as ludum dare warmup, for those that want to participate in that. It might be a bit too soon, but I think we should do one version of this before interest fades. The next jam can be planned better.

I think that a 72 hour jam would be nice, but you could host two, one of 72 hours and another that lasts a week, and do the first

IMHO, more than 2 or 3 days and it isn't really a jam anymore. Part of the fun resides in knowing that you won't be spending *that* much time, so you can implement crazy ideas. Also, it lowers the entry barrier. Many of us might not have a whole week to commit. YMMV.

So "huge list of suggestions" -> 'voting' -> "small list e.g. 5" -> 'random chosing' -> "final theme"

I can only say : +1  ;D

Let's start throwing out some suggestions then:
  • Classic games combined
  • Non-traditional geometry
  • Two rights (don't) make a wrong

I'll try to write up a draft for a set of rules today and think about a system for submission and  possible how/where we want to host everything.

I'd say, for a first edition of the jam, let's keep things simple, and use the Forum. On the decided date, Jebbs can create a thread announcing the final theme and any special constraint. People can then answer with their submissions.

Mercy404

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 03:17:15 am »
This sounds like an excellent idea! Personally, I like the idea of a 72 hour jam; announce the theme and start the jam mid-Friday and accept submissions until mid-Monday.

I'd say, for a first edition of the jam, let's keep things simple, and use the Forum. On the decided date, Jebbs can create a thread announcing the final theme and any special constraint. People can then answer with their submissions.

Another option to consider is a ready-made game jam framework.

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 03:52:15 am »
That's not a bad idea, but it takes some of the randomness out of it. Right now I'm thinking that people could email/submit their suggestions and one get's chosen at random.
It's a good idea, but also dangerous, because some themes can be really bad and hard, so it would be better if we can vote, so we can go into a general direction everyone feels comfortable with.
We could also make it similar to Lundumdare, where we end up with a few themes and just at the starting point the actual theme is chosen at random.
So "huge list of suggestions" -> 'voting' -> "small list e.g. 5" -> 'random chosing' -> "final theme"

Honestly, what I meant by "one get's chosen at random" was actually that I'd pick my favorite. :P
I really like this though. It'll definitely be how we decide the final theme.

What I think I'll do is allow people to suggest themes for a set period of time, create an online poll for everyone to vote, and randomly pick one of the top five, like eXpl0it3r suggested.

A game jam would definitely be nice, but beware that the LD is soon, and I don't think too many of us would enjoy having two jams in a one week period. :p
That's a great point. I don't want to have to make anyone choose one over the other.

Maybe organizing regular jams could be a nice way to show the SFML community is alive and running.
Yes! And to get others more involved with it! That was what I really wanted to achieve by starting this.

I think this is what we'll go for, at least for the first jam. Depending on how popular it is, we can expand from there.

I suggest the week before that, Aug 16-18, one month from now, as tentative date. That way, it doubles as ludum dare warmup, for those that want to participate in that. It might be a bit too soon, but I think we should do one version of this before interest fades. The next jam can be planned better.

I think that might be cutting it a little too close. Since we'll be using the forums for submission, there won't be much to set up. Why not have it sooner? My own suggestion is Aug. 2-4. It's also a weekend, a little over 2 weeks from now so it gives us some time to prepare and spread the word, and there is plenty of time to recover before people do Ludum Dare.

I think that a 72 hour jam would be nice, but you could host two, one of 72 hours and another that lasts a week, and do the first

IMHO, more than 2 or 3 days and it isn't really a jam anymore. Part of the fun resides in knowing that you won't be spending *that* much time, so you can implement crazy ideas. Also, it lowers the entry barrier. Many of us might not have a whole week to commit. YMMV.

I agree. I'm pretty set on it being a 72 hour jam only.

Another option to consider is a ready-made game jam framework.

If this gets pretty popular, I might just do that for the next one. I think the forums are just enough for the very first jam though.
DSFML - SFML for the D Programming Language.

Gobbles

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 09:42:21 pm »
Id be up for this!

Been a little while since I've participated in a game jam so this could be a lot of fun.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 09:45:54 pm »
Sounds like a good idea! Concerning prizes, we could offer hardcopies of the SFML Game Development book, if you are interested :)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Lo-X

• View Profile
    • My personal website, with CV, portfolio and projects
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 10:22:55 pm »
Sounds like a good idea! Concerning prizes, we could offer hardcopies of the SFML Game Development book, if you are interested :)

Personnaly, I would participate even if there are no prices. I'm interested in the challenge. Besides, Ludum Dare has no prices if you do not count on the exposure made on you. Yet I can understand that it motivates some people.

I think that even if we are a certain number already having the book around here, that's a good idea.

MorleyDev

• "It is not enough for code to work."
    • View Profile
    • http://www.morleydev.co.uk/
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 11:49:39 pm »
Personally I'm not a biiig fan of using 'real programming languages' in game jams. Much prefer to use RAD tools.

I'm a big fan of taking the time to constantly refactor and driving the code from tests, and the time limits on jams combined with the sleep deprivation just beat down on that too much for me. And just doing anything else feels like 'just hacking it out', which makes me feel dirty.

But if people want to do it, well...why not? I may even try to suck it up and join in :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:13:15 am by MorleyDev »
UnitTest11 - A unit testing library in C++ written to take advantage of C++11.

All code is guilty until proven innocent, unworthy until tested, and pointless without singular and well-defined purpose.

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 10:41:21 pm »

To tell the truth, I have mixed feelings about having prizes. On one hand, it can help get people to actually join the event(given the prizes are something they want) but on the other hand, it can take some of the fun away by making the jam a competition. Aster mentioned some stuff to me the other day, so I agree that we should at least give some kind of score to each submission(still working out the details). With that in place, if someone(you) wants to donate some prizes for a jam, then we already have a good way to figure out who get's them. and that could be very cool. I'll just have to mention that there might not be prizes for every SFML Jam.

That said,  I have absolutely NO problem giving something as cool( and relevant!) as the SFML Game Development book out as a prize to the top 1-5 games,depending on how many free copies you want to give out. I think it's pretty awesome you are offering! :D

Personally I'm not a biiig fan of using 'real programming languages' in game jams. Much prefer to use RAD tools.

I'm a big fan of taking the time to constantly refactor and driving the code from tests, and the time limits on jams combined with the sleep deprivation just beat down on that too much for me. And just doing anything else feels like 'just hacking it out', which makes me feel dirty.

But if people want to do it, well...why not? I may even try to suck it up and join in :)

Something else Aster pointed out was that this way it keeps the playing field more or less even. Since SFML bindings are going to be fair game, you could use one for a language that has a faster turn around times. :P

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 10:57:22 pm »
No problem, take the time to discuss advantages and disadvantages of prizes. I wouldn't feel offended if you chose a different prize or none at all ;)

I'd also limit the scope of the jam to programming languages, at least for the first event. Another, maybe not that important thing to consider is that C++ has a rather small standard library (especially C++03), while other languages are usually more feature-rich.

Would you only allow programming language + standard library + SFML (binding), or also extensions like those from the wiki, Thor, ...?
SFML Game Development:

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 11:47:00 pm »
I think the way it'll be handled is that prizes won't normally be a part of the jam, but if someone is kind enough to donate something to be used as prizes, they are more than welcome to.

Right now I'm feeling like programming language + standard library + SFML (binding) is good, but information from the wiki is ok to use as well. Thor might be a little much only because it is C++ only. Make some Thor bindings, and then who knows? ;)

I'd also limit the scope of the jam to programming languages, at least for the first event. Another, maybe not that important thing to consider is that C++ has a rather small standard library (especially C++03), while other languages are usually more feature-rich.

That's true, but C++/SFML vs. C#/SFML.Net is better than C++/SFML vs Game Maker.

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 11:54:36 pm »
I have a rough draft of some rules/information on the SFML Game Jam ready. Let me know what you think, or if something should be added/changed/clarified!

I will also be opening up a new thread specifically for theme submissions.

Time:
The jam will start midday(some time) August 2nd  and end 72 hours later on August 4th

Theme:
Anyone is able to submit their idea for a theme. Theme submission is open 2 weeks before the start of a jam and ends 1 week before the start of the jam. People are allowed to vote on their favorite theme over the next week. The day of the start of the jam, one theme is chosen at random from the 5 theme submissions with the highest votes.

Rules:
1. You can work on a team of two, or by yourself. Must be stated when submitting.
2. You only have 72 hours to create both the code and the content of your project
3. Game must be based on the theme.
3. Game MUST use SFML, or one of its bindings. It cannot use any other game library, but information provided in the wiki is ok.
4. Link to source code(github?) must be provided in submission.

Scoring:
Scoring will be based on several categories with an over all score being the average between them and a possible total of 70 points.

1. Fun – How enjoyable the game is to play
2. Creativeness – How creative the ideas for the game are, and how well they are executed.
3. Theme – How much the theme is a part of the game and how well the incorporation works
4. Graphics – How nice the graphics are and/or how well they work with the concept of the game
5. Audio – How nice the music&sound is and/or how well they work with the concept of the game
6. Immersion – How easy it is to become engaged in the game
7. Mood – How well the vibe of the game is expressed

Scoring will be more lenient for people that work by themselves.

Prizes:
Prizes aren't normally a part of this jam, but if anyone would like to donate prizes for the top scoring submissions, they are more than welcome to!

Other than that, your prize is knowing that you had fun attempting to make a game with SFML in only 3 days. Go you!

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2013, 12:12:16 am »
Time:
The jam will start midday(some time) August 2nd  and end 72 hours later on August 4th
Where's the time? :P

2. You only have 72 hours to create both the code and the content of your project
3. Game must be based on the theme.
3. Game MUST use SFML, or one of its bindings. It cannot use any other game library, but information provided in the wiki is ok.
You'll need to expand on what you mean with "content". I think you mostly meant the assets, right?
"based" is a rather vague word, maybe add a few more words to it.
One can "use SFML" in all kinds of way and at what is the definition of a "game library"?

Scoring:
Scoring will be based on several categories with an over all score being the average between them and a possible total of 70 points.
Who are the judges?

Let's see how this goes! ;)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2013, 12:39:05 am »
1. Fun – How enjoyable the game is to play
[...]
4. Graphics – How nice the graphics are and/or how well they work with the concept of the game
5. Audio – How nice the music&sound is and/or how well they work with the concept of the game
6. Immersion – How easy it is to become engaged in the game
7. Mood – How well the vibe of the game is expressed
Some of the criteria overlap, especially immersion and mood. For the others it's probably fine, since it's rather difficult to find completely orthogonal criteria.

"Fun" should be reworded to "gameplay" or similar. Depending on the theme, games may convey a sad/thoughtful/horrific/... atmosphere, which shouldn't be scored negatively.

Ideas for other criteria, some of which can be incorporated to existing ones:
  • Combination of different media (graphics, sound, text, ...) --> immersion
  • Story --> creativity
  • Simplicity, controls, camera --> gameplay? own category "function"?
  • Correctness, stability, bugs --> function?
SFML Game Development:

spacechase0

• AOL Instant Messenger - thespacechase0
    • View Profile
    • http://spacechase0.com/
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2013, 04:32:38 am »
Time:
Meep.

Oh well, I'd prefer this anyways.

cpolymeris

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2013, 04:34:29 am »
I have posted a thread on gamedev. If you have accounts on other forums or communities, maybe do the same? That way, and with a bit of luck, we might get some "outsiders" to join in on the fun  ;) and get to spread the gospel of SFML.