Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 5th SFML Game Jam  (Read 74479 times)

bitano

• View Profile
Re: 5th SFML Game Jam
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2016, 01:55:59 pm »
It's worth bearing in mind that it's the first one organised by Eremiell too, and I'm sure a load of things have been learnt that will benefit future jams.
Exactly how i feel about it!

Kojay

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2016, 02:58:09 pm »
Certainly. In no part of my post was I critical of the organisation - any comments I had on that I made directly on irc.

My disappointment and my hope for future jams is for more forum and irc regulars to participate in the jam.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 04:56:40 pm by Kojay »

Eremiell

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2016, 01:01:52 am »
Ay, we got a bit delayed on the final judging because of some unexpected troubles. Sorry for not communicating it earlier, but we really hoped to get it all on tracks asap and I wanted to bring the good news rather than the bad ones. So here they are, the judging is on.

To respond to some other topics opened in last few posts:

The turnout is certainly lower than what we all hoped. There are certainly several factors involved including quite fast and somewhat hectic planning and certainly suboptimal promotion. Quite some people got unexpectedly caught in their lifes and so on.

I'd like to start drafting the next one pretty much once this one is over (after some short pause for thinking and relaxation). I'd want it in roughly half a year and start having them more or less periodically, so people can count with them and prepare for them.

I'm more than welcome now or later to hear any ideas about how to promote the jam better (especially if you'd like to volunteer to do that, but not a condition), what do you think might bring more and any ideas for possible sponsors. We don't have much to offer at the moment, but it's a chicken and egg problem and it needs to be cut somewhere.

Overally (I'll try to write some proper postmortem once the jam is really completely over), it could have been better but still we did something. There were games submitted and subjectively not bad ones. We need to build upon what we've got and become better each time.

Eremiell out, we'll hear each other soon.

JoelHoover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2016, 08:46:17 pm »
Hey all,

I also unfortunately didn't have time during the Jam to actually make a game (started a bit, but got nothing useful done). However, as before, I managed to port all of the posted submissions to OS X! I tried to modify as little as possible, and hopefully I didn't break them building on Linux/Windows. Anyways, here are the links to the releases on GitHub: Copcop, Tracks, Orange Guy, and Dying is an Option. If there are any issues with them, please let me know!

Also, here's my review on each of the games:
  • Copcop: This game is actually looking really good! I think this is the first time we've had a story driven submission for any of the SFML Game Jams. It needs a lot more content before it is really playable, but I really like the potential in the game. Also, the shader, abet subtle, had a really cool effect!
  • Tracks: This has a really good concept here and is very playable! In the beginning it's a little hard to understand what's happening with the wrapping falling, maybe adding some lines above and below the track indicating where the wrap points are would make it easier to understand. The game is really fun (even if you don't jump and just watch it go). I managed to get a best score of 18:13.
  • Orange Guy: This game is very well rounded: solid graphics and audio, fun gameplay, and good use of the jam theme. I feel like the controls could use a bit of balancing yet, but I really love how bouncing off the walls flings you to the next platform! My high score is 3755.
  • Dying is an Option: This had a really great interpretation of the theme and uses it as a core mechanic. I will that the "perfect maze" can be really punishing at times though (you get really close, then have to go all the way across the map), and it would definitely benefit from there being multiple routes throughout the map. My lowest score was 5 (the exit spawned right next to me!), but most of my wins were in the 200-500 range.

Anyways, it was really fun play all of your guys's games; good job to everyone, and great thanks to Eremiell and zsbzsb (and anyone else who helped) for setting up and running the Jam!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 09:00:08 pm by JoelHoover »

Kojay

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2016, 08:06:37 pm »
Thank you for doing this! I linked it to a friend with a Mac and Tracks at least is working great  :)

Sandburg

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2016, 01:03:30 pm »
Warn https://sfmlgamejam.com/ has an expired certificate.
SEC_ERROR_EXPIRED_CERTIFICATE
The certificate expired on 27/06/2016 17:08
Sorry for disturbing.